How compatible is WC4 with modern hardware?

Amerika

Spaceman
I was considering buying the PC CD version of WC4 from the online store that time forgot and was wondering how well it works with modern hardware and if I will have to do any system tweaking.

I have:

Windows 98
Athlon XP 2400+
512 MB RAM
ASUS GeForce 3 64MB V8200
SoundBlaster PCI

My winxp-based laptop ran the game well. Has 1.2ghz P4, 128 MB RAM (or was it 256?), etc, and the game ran perfectly, no issues with install nor gameplay. However, this was with the windows version, make sure you get that! The DOS version doesn't work right, at least not for me.

On my other machine, it also ran perfectly, but for neither comps did the joystick detect. Its a microsoft Sidewinder, no force feedback, but I have no clue why it didn't detect.

There is no windows version of wc4 afaik. In any case you can patch the dos version to windows - so that should not be the problem anyhow.

There IS a Windows Version: both DVD-versions are Windows only. Ok, they just include the Patch, but they are windows nontheless

to topic: I can play them with both my PIV (3.066Ghz, 3.2Ghz) with ati r9700/9800 pro thx to windows patch under win xp sp 1

My WC4 worked just fine on my P4 w/Win XP, all I had to do was download the Windows patch and set the compatibility mode for Win95.

Hmm, I've heard of some people having trouble with the videos in the older WC games because of their video codecs. I have DivX, will that work ok with four?

AFAIK, the game's internal engine handles the video (it's Origin's own Xan codec). Codecs only become a concern if you have the double-sided DVD version (the single-sided DVD is just the six CDs put on one DVD).

DirectX 3 and above isn't 100% compatible with version 2 however. Some people reported problems with the higher versions. So basically for 95% it should work.

I just got a new computer. WC4 DOS works fine in WinXP, although I think the mouse was a little less responsive. I put in the Win95 patch just for the sake of it - everything is good, including the mouse.

[Oh yes, and this is with DirectX 9.0b]

Back