How can I raise the missile limit in WC: Prophecy?

Getting the error that starts with "FastList::add()" is really, really aqggrevating. Maybe a limit of 44 was considered as a failsafe to prevent someone's PC from fragging out (a forcible crash to prevent even worse unpredictable behavior) back in 1998, but this is 2008. I daresay my PC could handle several hundred if not several thousand missiles onscreen at once in WC: Prophecy, and probably an arbitrarily high "you'd have a harder time getting that many in the air at once than you would making your PC wig out" number of them in the air.

I read that it was possible to raise this hard limit of 44, in a thread relating to crashing. how can I raise this limit to an arbitrarily huge number of missiles, if not just disable the limit altogether and let it try to track any number of birds I put out?

Yes. Yes it does.

It's called a Macross Missile Massacre, and I want to wield this power.

Tweak the Tracker MIRV to fly for, oh, 12,010 milliseconds, dropping a burst of four TrackerChildren every 500 milliseconds, and that should be 94 TrackerChildren in the air.

And I fired three Tracker MIRVs, so that's 288 little pods of death homing in on the alien uglies.

Naturally, you can see how I might need to increase the hard limit for missiles in the air from 44 to something arbitrarily huge like 4,444 or so.

Is there any way to do this? I hate to bump a thread after two months, but I had hoped for some advice by now. Is this limitation hard-coded into the game, or is it something which may be changed?

It's a hard-coded limitation. I'm sure it can be changed using a DLL patch, but somebody would actually have to create the DLL patch in question. There are no quick and easy solutions to stuff like this.

Yes. Yes it does.

It's called a Macross Missile Massacre, and I want to wield this power.

Tweak the Tracker MIRV to fly for, oh, 12,010 milliseconds, dropping a burst of four TrackerChildren every 500 milliseconds, and that should be 94 TrackerChildren in the air.

And I fired three Tracker MIRVs, so that's 288 little pods of death homing in on the alien uglies.

Naturally, you can see how I might need to increase the hard limit for missiles in the air from 44 to something arbitrarily huge like 4,444 or so.

Wow, I imagine that image looking like something out of BoT when the Confeds attempt to attack the Hakagas in Sol. Missiles flying everywhere!

I know that the unknown enemy dll for SO hightens the limit of several aspects of the game, including missiles I believe. I have a sneeky suspicion that some of these enhancements are included in the dlls provided with the WCP Enhancement Pack. I know the WCPEP extends the visible range of objects so they don't turn into a dot so quickly (can see ships miiiiiles away in high rez). Try the WCPEP, if not then the additions need to be made via DLL. Simply using the UE dll won't work as its for SO only.

Quick edit:

The UE fix allows more physical objects in the game, but I realised that there was a limit to how many FoF (for example) missiles could lock onto a single target. Even with the unpatched WCP, you could fire quite a lot of missiles, but as soon as they locked and the limit was reached, the game crashed. Dont know if that limit was raised or not.

Back