Honest Confusion

AtolDiago

Spaceman
There are times, when I am around my friends, that I feel as though I could not get any wierder with the amount of knowledge on SOME topics lending towards things like Star Wars or video games. Then I read some of the things written on Star Trek, and the things I *should* know when dealing with tech specifics on gaming needs (since my future degree deals mostly with the networking of such devices). I am admitting that I am *very* lacking in my knowledge of such things. Maybe... I can start a thread dealing with topics I may be able to actually provide solid conversational input for.

Possible topics include:
Plot concepts for: Half Life (in its entirety, including both expansions and episodes, and the 'side' extension 'Portal')
Comparison in every aspect for the MMORPG's out there now (including breakdowns of specifics dealing each)

Also, and this is not to spit blasphemy on a forum such as this... but I would like some input as to what gives WC such a following. I have researched it, and enjoyed everything I have read about it. I joined this forum because of the level of sanity and knowledge on more than just WC (from what I have seen that is), but would not mind being given 'down and dirty' details on WC itself.

Sent, with best regards and with hopes to re-obtain my (selfishly thought) knowledge base on that which is video gaming...

Diago

Well from my perspective it was one of the first games of its kind that actually had a branching storyline based on how well you did on your missions. Also it was one of the first games that offered full 3-d freedom of movement. Thats really a big ground breaker.

But beyond that it offeres a great story line

Thats one of the things that impressed me about it. During its time, considering the rest of the games around it, to have a storyline that was decided based on how well you performed in each mission was very ground-breaking.

Also, the complexity of everything around you in the game. From the personnel, to their story lines and how they played in the WC universe. It really seems like the game allows you to immerse yourself into, to allow your mind to complete the actions in the game that the game itself wasnt fully showing at that particular time. Not because of software or hardware issues, but simply because there would be too many to show, and the game would never be able to progress. That is something I thoroughly enjoy when playing video games. The same thing happend when I played Freelancer. Which is why I still enjoy playing it.

There's just something special about the dogfighting in WC. The story's complexity and the characters help to draw me in even further, but the flying is sublime.

The expansive universe doesn't hurt either. Like any well developed sci-fi universe it's something you just find yourself getting swept up in.

There's just something special about the dogfighting in WC.

The expansive universe doesn't hurt either.

Then I guess my next question is how can I play it now? I have a computer that plays Oblivion, Fallout 3, Unreal 3, and any other 'new-age' game at nearly the highest settings, flawlessly. Is there an engine out there that can allow me to play WC at the speed it is supposed to be played on? When I had a dual core, I got a simple dosbot that let me play One Must Fall. It was still WAY faster than I remembered it, but it was reduced enough that I could play it. But now that I have a Quad processor, is there a dosbot made for that? I havent had a reason to get into my older games that need actual DOS to run so I havent even gone anywhere to look for one (dosbot). Is there a digital copy of the game I can start off with? Or will I have to dig out my old floppy drive...

Then I guess my next question is how can I play it now? I have a computer that plays Oblivion, Fallout 3, Unreal 3, and any other 'new-age' game at nearly the highest settings, flawlessly. Is there an engine out there that can allow me to play WC at the speed it is supposed to be played on? When I had a dual core, I got a simple dosbot that let me play One Must Fall. It was still WAY faster than I remembered it, but it was reduced enough that I could play it. But now that I have a Quad processor, is there a dosbot made for that? I havent had a reason to get into my older games that need actual DOS to run so I havent even gone anywhere to look for one (dosbot). Is there a digital copy of the game I can start off with? Or will I have to dig out my old floppy drive...

Dosbox, which you can get off of this site is one way... another would be getting a copy of the Kilrathi Saga, which may be easier, but is a lot more expensive then snatching the original copies.

I've tried to find a suitable timeline so that I can relate things I have read here to what game, and where in the story each one falls, but I am having a hard time seeing anything.

Back