Hobbes..............

It's a spacial distortion. The moment they step into their cockpits they shrink, making them BELIEVE their craft is larger than it is!

Unforgiven wrote:

"So either the specs are wrong, or the games are wrong. What do I believe?!?"

My best guess is that the people who wrote the specs confused meters with feet. That would make the Dragon 40 FEET in length, not 40 meters. Using feet instead of meters would also make the size of the ship match the weight better--if a ship 40 meters long with 300mm thick armor (that's a foot thick!) weighed only 26 tons as stated, then the armor would have to weigh less than half as much as aluminum.

IIRC, the armour thickness in CM is given as durasteel *equivalent*, which is the same protection as said thickness of durasteel. It doesn't mean the armour is that many CM thick.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Ijuin
Unforgiven wrote:

"So either the specs are wrong, or the games are wrong. What do I believe?!?"

My best guess is that the people who wrote the specs confused meters with feet. That would make the Dragon 40 FEET in length, not 40 meters. Using feet instead of meters would also make the size of the ship match the weight better--if a ship 40 meters long with 300mm thick armor (that's a foot thick!) weighed only 26 tons as stated, then the armor would have to weigh less than half as much as aluminum.

The people who wrote the specs are not wrong. If you think of fighters in terms of todays specs things balance out fairly evenly. Most aircraft today are somewhere around 30 or 40 FEET long or more in some cases. Todays Aircraft carriers are anywhere from 900 to 1200 FEET long. So things are basically proportional to one another. In the WC Games, carriers (with the exception of the Vesuvius and Midway classes) are somewhere between 700 and 1000 METERS in length. So fighters have to proprtional to these lengths, thats why the specs list fighters as being 30 or 40 METERS long.

P.S. Don't quote me on any of the lengths for the modern day carriers or anything. I'm no expert on the Navy but it seems like those measurements are in the ballpark.

Using the in-game engine, the distances may be correct. During the launching/landing cutscenes, however, the fighters seem to be much smaller. The only fighters that seem to be REALLY big are the Broadsword and Longbow bombers. The other ones all seem to be about the same size as a modern fighter.

We're talking about the cockpit sizes vs the size of the ship. Those seem to be off, not the size of the fighter itself.
Originally posted by I'm thinkin...

The people who wrote the specs are not wrong. If you think of fighters in terms of todays specs things balance out fairly evenly. Most aircraft today are somewhere around 30 or 40 FEET long or more in some cases. Todays Aircraft carriers are anywhere from 900 to 1200 FEET long. So things are basically proportional to one another. In the WC Games, carriers (with the exception of the Vesuvius and Midway classes) are somewhere between 700 and 1000 METERS in length. So fighters have to proprtional to these lengths, thats why the specs list fighters as being 30 or 40 METERS long.

P.S. Don't quote me on any of the lengths for the modern day carriers or anything. I'm no expert on the Navy but it seems like those measurements are in the ballpark.

Originally posted by Hoops
We're talking about the cockpit sizes vs the size of the ship. Those seem to be off, not the size of the fighter itself.

Well Excuuuuse me for getting off the subject. Some of these threads don't always stay on the same subject, as is the case here. This chat zone is for expressing one's ideas and that is exactly what I was doing.

Perhaps when the fighters were designed for the cut scenes, they were built with the notion that smaller models would be cheaper to build and maintain throughout the filming of the cut scenes, making the cockpits appear smaller than they should be. Anyway thats my idea.

Originally posted by Hoops

Topic drift. It happens.

I can't find a reason for the size difference, other than production errors. The manual writers, and game designers didn't talk to each other much. The In story answer would be that the problem isn't really there, and eveything is normal and proportional like today's ships.

Back