Hobbes & Blair exchange

Bandit LOAF said:
Eh, it's not a valid comparison. For one, the elevator scene is really, really tiny. It has almost no movement or color. For two, it's something that's on every CD...

Yeah, the elevator comment was a joke, but you must agree that keeping "Vaquero´s dreams" (among other scenes) over "Hobbes explanation" is quite pointless... That holovid is among at least the 10 most important scenes of the game.

Bandit LOAF said:
Eh, it's hard to take any sort of issue with Freedom Flight - the Kilrathi didn't really exist as anything but 2D black-and-green VDU screens before Ellen Guon did anything with them.

I meant the apocryphic version about them - the already existing (unfinish) concept, not observably for the player. I know, details about their conrete culture was later given by different authors and that was mayhaps the reason for some incontinuities and controversies.

Bandit LOAF said:
Yup, back in the day people still used first generation 1X CD drives... which could only read 60-minute discs. Video had to be cut from WC3, which included the Hobbes scene and all of the newsbriefs (and a few other snippets).

Console systems, which used standardized drives, didn't face that limitation.

Is there maybe somewhere where I could watch those newsbriefs and other snippets? The Hobbes scene in Blair's locker was great because it was something I had never seen before.

Is there maybe somewhere where I could watch those newsbriefs and other snippets? The Hobbes scene in Blair's locker was great because it was something I had never seen before.

If you're still scratching your head at LOAF's sarcasm, just go to the files section and all will be made clear.

I Like the overlay explanation simply because it makes the Hobbes we knew sincere and honest, he didn't actually betray us, it's more like Hobbes died and Rhalgha returned. Rhalgha was bad and everything - even if his respect for Blair still existed.

Eh, I guess I can accept that...it's just that at the time, it sort of seemed like in the Resident Evil movie (urg...), where once everyone 'remembers' who they are, they go through this transformation of, "Oh yeah, I forgot, I'm your enemy and was sent to spy on you. Let's ignore the past hour of sticking together and saving each others' butts so that we can be enemies once more."

Check out the Charles Bronson movie "Telefon" to learn all about sleepers. ;)

Shipgate said:

As I noted in another thread, check the Files section.

Again, search is your friend. So's reading. :D

OKso attempting to tie this all together Wing 1 SM
Hobbes "Defects" bringing Dralthi used by Blair in raids
Wing2 Hobbes though on concordia actually does not in any way work against confed (besides scratching like 1000 card tables) also Blair defeats Thrakath
Wing3 Thrakath begins calling Blair "The heart of the Tiger" this can be explained since he 1. actually is beginning to respect Blair and 2. he wants them to be used to it before he uses it to activate Hobbes

I'm not entirely sure Thrakath respects anyone or anything but Thrakath, but yes, that's the gist of it, and what Thrakath says, at any rate.

Starkey said:
Yeah, the elevator comment was a joke, but you must agree that keeping "Vaquero´s dreams" (among other scenes) over "Hobbes explanation" is quite pointless... That holovid is among at least the 10 most important scenes of the game.

I cant runderstand why he made a holovid if he was brainwashed... It's not logical...

No, but you're dealing with a deeply honorable being, as he says in the video.

Part of it was the chance to express his respect for a fellow warrior, and partially, I guess, as an apology for the deception involved. I think he felt he owed it to Blair to explain himself, even though he had never really met Blair to begin with.

Another 'questionable' Hobbes situation: in WC2SO1, Blair captures Thrakhath and locks him in the brig on the Bonnie Heather... and then they leave Hobbes there to watch him. Thrakhath escapes because of a 'power failure', and doesn't kill Hobbes because it isn't 'honorable'.

I was going to bring up the SO1 thing but I couldn't remember the specifics, that part struck me as suspicious as well.

When Ralgha "awoke", it is clear that he didn't erase his memories as Hobbes. He did recall all that he had been trough with Blair, and that probably helped him keep his respect for Blair. HE was "tainted" by his close contact with us, just like Jukaga, and even though he sticked to the plan of spying on the terrans and ultimately, running back to kilrah. I find that the holo is great, because it makes Hobbes a more complex and "realistic" character, giving him a 3rd dimension that is usually lacking.

Back