Hmmmm... Steven Spielberg and EA

Quarto

Unknown Enemy
Well, this is interesting.

Spielberg and EA together? Good thing? Bad thing? I just don't know. It'd be interesting to know what role he will have exactly - is he actually going to do anything serious, or is he there just so they can slap his name on the box? In any case, it's always nice to see former Originites in the news.

Also, for those of you keeping track of game-to-movie conversions, take note of this paragraph:
BBC News said:
Earlier this month, another Oscar-winning director, Peter Jackson, signed up to work on movie version of the best-selling sci-fi shooter Halo.

Indeed interesting...

"Having watched the game industry grow from a niche into a major creative force in entertainment, I have a great deal of respect for EA's understanding of the interactive format," said Spielberg.

I'm not so sure I would say EA has an understanding of the interactive format as so much as a proficiency at producing sellable games. However, their ability to expand into the mammoth corp that they are within the indusry is certainly worth respecting. Personal feelings aside, this should be a most interesting endeavour.

On the note that Peter Jackson signed on for the Halo movie...well that's great news. It should help ensure it doesn't completely suck. (Let's face it, although I have liked several of them...most movies based on video games bomb horribly and with something like Halo I wouldn't have been surprised if it had become an utter mess). Still, Jackson's working on King Kong...I"m not sure I would want that in my credits just yet. It's a movie about a giant ape...anyone remember Godzilla??? I guess we can just wait till the movie comes out before making judgements though. Jackson is a great director/producer...if anyone can make a King Kong movie watchable I suppose he could.

Maj.Striker said:
I'm not so sure I would say EA has an understanding of the interactive format as so much as a proficiency at producing sellable games.
And if you say that enough times, your head will literally cave in.

I hope that EA doesn't shut Spielberg down. Or maybe, considering his latest movies, I hope they do.

BTW, King Kong is a lovestory. I hope Jackson pulls it off, but I was never very interested in KK stuff. I think Donkey Kong is a lot cooler. the cartoon aside, of course.

I can see it either being really good, or really bad. One can only hope it brings out the best of both worlds, rather than the worst of both.

QuailPilot said:
Speilberg did write the story for the game The Dig. It has a great story. He sent it to Lucas Arts.

First thing that came across my mind.
The Dig was a highly underated game. Fantastic peice of cinematic work.

DyNaMiX said:
The Dig was a highly underated game. Fantastic peice of cinematic work.
Well, that's the question, though - does 'cinematic' really mean a good game? I mean, I don't really have an opinion about The Dig, because I only ever saw it once, but I am always a bit suspicious when somebody tells me in one breath that a game was highly underrated and that it was great because it was not like a game (...because that's what cinematic means: movie-like, not game-like).

Edfilho said:
I hope that EA doesn't shut Spielberg down. Or maybe, considering his latest movies, I hope they do.

Maybe they deserve each other. KK might be good on its own. And Donkey Kong is also a love story.

The Dig was going to be a movie, but Speilberg decided they did not have the technology to do it yet. But he "knew" it would be a great game. It was. (i will continue later)

Quarto said:
Well, that's the question, though - does 'cinematic' really mean a good game? I mean, I don't really have an opinion about The Dig, because I only ever saw it once, but I am always a bit suspicious when somebody tells me in one breath that a game was highly underrated and that it was great because it was not like a game (...because that's what cinematic means: movie-like, not game-like).

What I mean is a fantastic "cinematic" experience. A bit like the experience Wing Commander 3 offered (not to mention the first couple games which had "movie like asperations". If it was a movie it'd have been a brilliant peice of work. Instead the best of the movie elements were combined into a nice little adventure game.

That's true. A game can be a much better cinematic experience than a movie. System Shock 2 is one example. Some parts of the movie has you, the player, watching a sequence from the past, and it was great.

Delance said:
System Shock 2 is one example. Some parts of the movie has you, the player, watching a sequence from the past, and it was great.

I can't remember that scene... When was it?

Back