hm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sirithchilion

about EA

Uhm... Just a short topic..

How come EA is cutting back like crazy?
All you BattleTech 3025 fans knows what I'm talking about.

Seems to me that one of the largest gaming companies in the world should be more able to balance their budget without cutting back on exactly EVERYTHING.

Heh, 3025 has been in on/off development for the last 6 or 7 years, nobody who knew anything about it actually expected it to see the light of day.

Also, I took a look around and discovered, not much to my surprise at all, really, that EA hasn't cut back "exactly everything."

That's a nice dream, Vaquero, hang on to it.

However, it's only a dream -- every company develops projects that get cancelled. When it's decided that they'll cost more to complete than they'll make, or that they aren't up to the company's standards, they'll get cut. It doesn't mean the company is going under -- just the opposite.

"But wait!", you shout, "the game I'm looking forward to is great! I saw screenshots on the internet!". Everything you've seen about this game has come out of EA -- all the information and screenshots and secret behind the scenes looks at whatever game you're talking about have filtered through their PR department. No one knows anything about how good a game is until it comes out. You can't complain that a great game has been cancelled -- because you've never played it.

Similarly, it might be a great game that just won't make money. "But BattleTech 300340 is so great!", you reply. "My friend Bill and I love it!". Sure, that's great, *but* they have to sell this game to something like a million people for it to be a success... and if the numbers don't predict that, the game may get cancelled.

I mean, why don't they make WC6, I'm sure they would make quite a profit with it?
Are there any news?
I know I would buy it!

Originally posted by Skybolt
I mean, why don't they make WC6, I'm sure they would make quite a profit with it?

Secret Ops was the sixth game in the series. You should be asking for game seven.

And, while on this subject, I don't think they made too much of a profit from it.

--Eder

Free stuff rarely makes a profit. Shame companies relying on banner ads didn't figure that out sooner.

origin was bought over by EA right?

I've got a dumb idea,
maybe all the guys in Origin should quit, then set up a new company, and call maybe Chris Roberts to assist in the next WC game.

my idea is REALLY dumb right?

To whom do you refer when you say "all the guys"? The Ultima Online development team? Most of the people who worked on Wing Commander were fired quite a while ago... and they've gone on to work for new companies.

Still, we've seen Origin employees leave to start companies that are free from evil corporations. Digital Anvil published one game before it got completely bought by Microsoft, and Richard Garriot's new company lasted literally three minutes before being sold to a large company...

And even if all the people who worked on Wing Commander in the past quit their jobs and got together, they still couldn't produce a Wing Commander game: EA owns the rights.

Wait, Secret Ops shouldn't be considered WC6. Technically, isn't it just an add-on, such as Secret Missions for WC1 and 2? I think, if that's how you want to put it, w would be up to WC10 or WC11.

Ghost is correct. Secret Ops is not officially an add-on. However, as far as content goes, it might as well be an add-on. It appears that Secret Ops was more of an impromptu descision. I seriously doubt that this was what the Maverick team originally intended to be the next full game in the series.

CRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAP

I just had TWO IE crashes at the end of my two replies to your posts.

I will respond when I'm calmed down...

Ehh, that doesn't mean *anything*, though. "addon" isn't a measure of amount, it's a word which means simply that something isn't a full game, that it requires you to have the orignial. An addon could be 10,000 times as long as the original game, but would be an addon because it requires the original game to play.

Secret Ops does *not* require the original game to play -- thus, there is no way in the universe that it could ever be considered an addon.

Alltough, there is a thing called "stand-alone episode", or "stand-alone expansion". The difference between episode and add-on is very thin if non-existing.

Half-Life Blue shift is one, HomeWorlds Cataclysm is another.

These do not require the original game to function, but their story-line is directly connected to the previous games in the series.

So Secret Ops is a stand alone expansion, U don't have to have WCP to play it, and it's tied to the main WingCommander storyline.

hm..

every company develops projects that get cancelled. When it's decided that they'll cost more to complete than they'll make, or that they aren't up to the company's standards, they'll get cut

That is more or less obvious, what I reacted to is the fact that EA close down the entire Platinum multiplayer service. BT3025 was only a small part of it, but they closed down the entire service. THATS what got me wondering about the logic about it, probably is some kind of logic to it. Just would be more easier to accept if I had some more details about why.

It doesn't mean the company is going under -- just the opposite.

Never said that...nor did I believe that, they're to big right now to be in any serious trouble.

Heh, 3025 has been in on/off development for the last 6 or 7 years, nobody who knew anything about it actually expected it to see the light of day.

Actually the game has been active for that amount of time, when EA bought the rights from Kesmai and Kali they upgraded, or replaced, the entire game so it returned to beta status.

But in the EA issue it never got past Beta status, which I had REAL fun with online

Also, I took a look around and discovered, not much to my surprise at all, really, that EA hasn't cut back "exactly everything."

Hm..that was my mistake,"exactly everything" was a little too general comment. My bad.

I'm afraid LOAF is right about that one, in short: "Just because you think it's hot shit that doesn't make it so." :)

my idea is REALLY dumb right?
Not that dumb...just wishful thinking.

Re: hm..

Originally posted by Sirithchilion
Just would be more easier to accept if I had some more details about why.
I can tell you why with 100% certainty. The service wasn't bringing in enough money. It's not enough to be simply profitable, the product has to meet a certain profit margin. If it doesn't bring in a certain percentage of its total cost to the company as a profit, then it's deemed too risky to maintain and shut down. This is the reason behind every other cancellation and suspension of this nature, and you should never have to wonder.
Actually the game has been active for that amount of time, when EA bought the rights from Kesmai and Kali they upgraded, or replaced, the entire game so it returned to beta status.
Trust me, I'm right here. I played the game religiously on AOL about 6 years ago, and they called it "beta" then, too. They called it "beta" for all those years it was on Gamestorm. It's *always* been beta. It was never officially released as a final version and then reverted back to beta.

Trust me, I'm right here. I played the game religiously on AOL about 6 years ago, and they called it "beta" then, too. They called it "beta" for all those years it was on Gamestorm. It's *always* been beta. It was never officially released as a final version and then reverted back to beta.

nobody who knew anything about it actually expected it to see the light of day.

U gave me the impression with your post before that the game never was finished and never released...

This is the reason behind every other cancellation and suspension of this nature, and you should never have to wonder.

The time I stop "wonder" about what seems like poor decisions is the day I stop thinking and become what is known as a "drone".

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back