History and Wing Commander

Zarathustra

Spaceman
I am a huge history buff. I was wondering, do any of you see any resemblence (sp?) between the kilrathi and rome? In WC3 they do say something about "all roads leading to Kilrah." when discussing how to defeat the Kilrathi.

Its a metaphor....clever 'ol Tolwyn!
He's saying that if you take out the kilrathi homeworld then they wouldn't be able to function. Religion and control of the empires is directed from Kilrah

I really like that line in WC3.... not real reason why but i just felt that it was the perfect thing to say. it works just as the "all roads lead to rome" if you kill the leader, the people will fall...

Tolwyn cleverly disguised himself as Paladin!

Aside from that, aside from the quote (of whose origins I'm sure you are correct), I don't really see the Kilrathi Empire being modelled after Rome.

I realize that he meant that all religion and culture came from Kilrah, just like all religion and culture came from Rome...

But that wasn't the case at all... Rome continued to acquire provincial customs and deities right up until the end. Furthermore, as time went by, more and more of the inhabitants were made proper citizens of the Empire. Further still, even when it was ruled by the most autocratic emperors, there were still vestiges of the old republican order, as represented by the senate. Compare this to the Kilrathi Empire, which presumably has no republican tradition, which accepts virtually no cultural or religious imports, and which enslaves or exterminates the conquered races. The only real similarity between the Rome and the Kilrathi is that they both have an emperor.

If you really want to know something similar to the Kilrathi: WWII Japan....that's pretty much who they are, keeping with WC's "WWII in space" feel...

The Kilrathi are the Japanese
Confed are the Allies
The Vega Campaign is the Pacific Theater
McAullife is Pearl Harbor (so is Pegasus from the WCM)
Tolywn is MacAurther (including the going nuts thing...)
The T-Bomb is the A-Bomb...
End Run is DoLittle's Raid (It even acknowledged him in the book, didn't it?)

Carrier's replaced Battleships in dominating the "seas"

Notice a pattern...

Originally posted by Zarathustra
I realize that he meant that all religion and culture came from Kilrah, just like all religion and culture came from Rome...

Rome had its own religion to start with, but it absorbed many religious and philosophical elements from other parts of the empire. For instance, Stoicism and Christianity all came from the Near East.

The bit about all road leading to Rome derives from the fact that the Romans placed milestones along their roads, which IIRC gave distance to Rome.

The only similarity between Rome and Kilrah is that both suffered from turbulent politics.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
Carrier's replaced Battleships in dominating the "seas"

Notice a pattern...

Actually the Battleship did not rule the seas in WW2. The carriers ruled the seas.

Originally posted by Alyeska

Actually the Battleship did not rule the seas in WW2. The carriers ruled the seas.

No, but ships traditionally (till the end of the 19th century) fought one another by trading shots or ambushing each other with ship's guns. The carriers' impact in WWII was the fact that they could kill ships and land targets from range without being exposed to the danger of direct fire.

Originally posted by Alyeska

Isn't that what I said?

"Carrier's replaced Battleships in dominating the 'seas' "

Battleships, which had previously ruled the seas, were replaced by carriers...

No harm :p

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

Isn't that what I said?

"Carrier's replaced Battleships in dominating the 'seas' "

Battleships, which had previously ruled the seas, were replaced by carriers...

No harm :p

(mutters) Must remember to read entire post before responding.:eek:

Back