Hey hey hey, hold it a second. (Warning: WC4 Spoilers)

Karakkaze

Spaceman
I just noticed a potential continuity error with Wing Commander as a whole.

During one of WC4's numerous cutscenes, Blair confronts Tolwyn. After some dialogue about an unofficial war with the Border Worlds, Tolwyn goes to mention that the war against the Kilrathi was also an unofficial war.

However, Star*Soldier (provided with Wing Commander: Arena, see front page) notes that the war against the Kilrathi was, in fact, an authorized war, which makes me wonder: Who's at fault?

Did EA slip up on a detail or did Tolwyn's memory slip on a banana?

Well, we have various timelines stating that Confed declared war on Kilrah for various aggressions, so I'd say it was just eggheaded writing; Tolwyn trying to convince Blair too hard, if you will.

The Kilrathi war surely was an official war.
However, IIRC there never was an official formal declaration of war between the two parties. We just started shooting at each other. So that is what Tolwyn might have referred to.

Confed actually declared war on the Kilrathi first. We used a small force in the Facin sector that was supposed to kick them around a little and let them know we weren't push overs. The Kat Dec of War came with the Confederation Day attack on McAuliffe.

I think Tolwyn was referring to the time before war was declared, but active warfare was going on between the two sides. He is drawing a parallell between the two, saying that even before the Kilrathi War was declared, it had begun. Similarly, although there was not a state of war between Border Worlds and Confed, it had begun. The declaration would be a mere formality.

However, IIRC there never was an official formal declaration of war between the two parties.

Actually, you hear the annoucement at the end of the Wing Commander movie's opening title sequence. Something to the effect of "As of this date, we are formally at war with the Kilrathi. God help us all."

Karakaze: Can you tell me the scene this happened or a quote? I'm at a loss to what you're referring to.

Actually, you hear the annoucement at the end of the Wing Commander movie's opening title sequence. Something to the effect of "As of this date, we are formally at war with the Kilrathi. God help us all."

The *between* in cff's post is probably the key term -- we know that the Confederation declared war several times during the early years of the conflict... there's just no evidence that these declarations were received or recognized by the Empire.

Karakaze: Can you tell me the scene this happened or a quote? I'm at a loss to what you're referring to.

It's from the Peleus series. Blair talks to Tolwyn, who is locked in the Intrepid's hold. "We aren't officially at war, Admiral, think of it as a re-enlistment." "We weren't official at war with the Kilrathi, either..."

I suppose I was under the impression that the movie announcer's voice over about being "formally at war" was a way saying war was agreed on by both nations?

Back