Hey guys I need you help with something!!

BlackJack2063

Rear Admiral
I am writing a campaign setting for Dungeons and Dragons, it was originally for a different rule system but conversion isn't hard.

The problem that I am having is names of cities, forests, landmarks, kingdoms and character names. This setting is based off a campaign that I ran for almost a decade, but to add diversity and accuracy I need "extra" information so I can give the players a larger world to adventure in.

The land is called Lae'Nord, unintentiollly the shape is somewhat like middle-earth, I had never read the books but I can fix that as well, if it is a problem. The names are for kingdoms and cities that never featured in the campaign that I ran.

I need names for the realms of man, which consists of a series of city-states and small kingdoms universelly called the Kingdoms of the West, the two main kingdoms are Duragon, and Verlesh. I then need a great deal of names for kingdoms and cities for what I call the Hearthland Kingdoms, this I added to my world to bring civilization to near where my campaign took place. I need names of cities for the my southern kingdom, Kalachia, a realm of chivarly. I also need ideas for persion or arab names for a smaller realm that lies off a great desert.

It would also be helpful to get names for elven holds, in my campaign they are a broken power, bereft of thier great empires, and they now dwell in the deep forests of the world. As a general rule for Elven names in my campaign, avoid hard consenents (I think I spelled that right lol).

Dwarf sounding names would be great too? Lol.

If any of you have names for landmarks that are stirring around in your head, they would be greatly appreciated as well.

It may not sound like I have much but trust me I do, I have typed up thirty or forty pages of text in the last few days, bringing my thoughts together, and none of it is geography, magic or classes or politics.

Please no hamhocked stuff, this is one of my great entertainment projects for me and my friends, when you have run a campaign for nearly a decade, and you have only been playing for about a decade, it is really important.

Thanks guys, any assistance is welcomed.

PS: The worst part of this is trying to not be LOTRish, but with D&D or pretty much any sword and sorcery it is impossible, since most was based off Tolkien's work.

Hey i understand ur problem as im currently working on a world with my friends for d&d so we can keep campaigns consistant and the like.
Well we find naming countries and provinces easier after figuring out their traditions and lifestyles. Warlike countries have harsher names, Imperial types get grand names and so on. As for arabian countries are they based around egyptian styles or more like aladin type arabs?
Dwarf names basicaly are hyphonated mostly and start with K's and D's:
Kel-Tuzad (a capitol in the world im workin on), Druer-Kar, etc.....
Also real world countries are a good basis of names in d&d too

Back