Help with Prophecy Secret Ops (Plunkett Class)

saquist

Captain
I just finished a Sketchup Model of the Midway by taking in game snapshots of the ship in Orthos and I think (with minor flaws) it came out pretty well.

Now I'm working on the Plunkett Class Battleship and I like to make both 2D and 3D plans for precision and for modification for version 2. However I can't get the Secret Ops to work on either of my VISTA Window systems. I could really use some help either with the installation of Secret Ops or with some ortho screen caps.

Thanks to who ever can oblige.

Interesting technique. Given that 3D games will almost always use some sort of perspective projection, how do you obtain orthographic images?

Never having used Vista before (at least not for more than a few seconds), I don't think I can help you with the installation, sorry. I'm sure others have plenty of experience getting it going on that operating system, though.

I'm guessing you've at least tried setting Secret Ops to Windows 98 compatibility mode?

Interesting technique. Given that 3D games will almost always use some sort of perspective projection, how do you obtain orthographic images?

Never having used Vista before (at least not for more than a few seconds), I don't think I can help you with the installation, sorry. I'm sure others have plenty of experience getting it going on that operating system, though.

I'm guessing you've at least tried setting Secret Ops to Windows 98 compatibility mode?

A reasonable Ortho can be achieved with a long enough distance from the object.
This allow you to see true parallel lines. An overall view will show shape and angles that the distance view would obscure. I took multiple shot views of the top bottom side, rear to get the lines down. There were flaws but after creating the model those become evident and correctable.

I haven't tried the 98 compat mode. Is there a link?

Edit: The Installation fails. I think I've just downloaded the files from this site so hopefully those will work but it has to be unpacked.

A reasonable Ortho can be achieved with a long enough distance from the object.
This allow you to see true parallel lines. An overall view will show shape and angles that the distance view would obscure. I took multiple shot views of the top bottom side, rear to get the lines down. There were flaws but after creating the model those become evident and correctable.

I haven't tried the 98 compat mode. Is there a link?

Edit: The Installation fails. I think I've just downloaded the files from this site so hopefully those will work but it has to be unpacked.

You need to right click on the EXE file and select the Compatibility tab, and then select Win 98 Compatibility Mode.

You could also download the extracted model and open it it Sketchup or however you do things (3D Exploration is a favorite of mine for viewing things quickly).

As an aside, that's a pretty impressive render there - the mesh error on the side is a pity, but - did you do that in Sketchup, or export it to another program to make the shots. I might have to take a look at the program if it's the former.

You could also download the extracted model and open it it Sketchup or however you do things (3D Exploration is a favorite of mine for viewing things quickly).

As an aside, that's a pretty impressive render there - the mesh error on the side is a pity, but - did you do that in Sketchup, or export it to another program to make the shots. I might have to take a look at the program if it's the former.

This was produced in sketchup but drafted in AutoCAD for the numbers.

I'll give these a try!

Back