Help!! WC4(Dos) has died on new Motherboard!

wilfbrim

Spaceman
Newbie poster here, been to the CIC a lot though. Anyways, I put a new motherboard in (Elitegroup p6VAP-A+) with Appollo Pro 133A chipset and SB16 equivelent chipset, and when running WC4 (DOS) my sound stutters through movies/music briefings etc...(This is in WIN98SE with native patch Win95), when I try a DOS run, it is beautiful but it will not recognize any joystick, on any port. I know there are various "helper" software out there. Has anyone run into issues like this with the Native patch or changing MB's? Any suggestions? Previously it worked great even under 98SE....

The sound chip is essentially a SB16 equivelant. I also just got WC3/Win 95, which appears to just have the same patch built into it, and sound works great, game just resets computer at start of 1st scenarion when Blair gets into cockpit. Any more ideas anyone? Has anyone evr seen this type of issues?

Heres copys of my autoexec.bat,config.sys and dosstart.bat. Please feel free to look and play with them, I am still chasing 2 problems:
1. WC4 for DOS sound stutters in WIN95 native patch but is good in DOS, but joystick does not calibrate correctly/gameport apparently not active in DOS.
2. WC3 for WIN95 dies at end of Blairs getting into cockpit and system restarts with no error messages. (Anyone know where you can look in windows/Norton Utilities to see what caused last start?) Thanks to all:

Autoexec:

@C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~4\NAVDX.EXE /Startup
REM C:\PCIAUD\SETAUDIO
REM SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T4
REM C:\PCIAUD\C3DMIX /MFF000 /FFF000 /WFF000 /L00100 /E00100 /A00100 /C00100 /P00000 /400000 /R0f0ff /D040ff
C:\PCIAUD\SETAUDIO
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T4
C:\PCIAUD\C3DMIX /MFF000 /FFF000 /WFF000 /L00100 /E00100 /A00100 /C00100 /P00000 /400000 /R0f0ff /D040ff

Board would not let me post full list, heres rest:
Config.sys:
enuitem=CD, Start computer with CD-ROM support.
menuitem=NOCD, Start computer without CD-ROM support.
menuitem=HELP, View the Help file.
menudefault=CD,30
menucolor=7,0

Rest of Config.sys:
[CD]
device=himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
device=btdosm.sys
device=flashpt.sys
device=btcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
device=aspi2dos.sys
device=aspi8dos.sys
device=aspi4dos.sys
device=aspi8u2.sys
device=aspicd.sys /D:mscd001

Final Part (disregard weird smiley thing in last post):
[NOCD]
[HELP]
[COMMON]
files=10
buffers=10
dos=high,umb
stacks=9,256
devicehigh=ramdrive.sys /E 2048
lastdrive=z

There is no Dosstart file listed in system, where would it be found (oustide windows?)
System is WIN98SE/P3800/Elite P6VAP-A+ with Apollo Pro 133A with onboard sound chip, 256 Meg ram. Nothing overclocked, video on an Evga GeForce2MX 32 Meg $x AGP card.

the Dosstart.bat file is located in c:\windows directory. Every Win9x machine has one. The only way you can't have one is if you deleted it.

That config.sys is from what looks like a modify Win98 Startup Disk. It can't be from your system's Config.sys. If that is your PC config.sys then your PC is all mess up. Not knowing your setup I would just rebuild the PC. Who installed your new MB?
Normally a Win9x machine would only have these two lines.
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
These lines are there primary for SB16 Emulation. If you have other DOS base programs than there may be addition setting. But not what you've just posted.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 05-18-2001 at 04:06]

Another problem you have here is that you are now using a sound chip and not a sound card. MB's with sound chips are design to be cheap (price). They are used by Computer Manufactors to make inexpence PC. My company buy these. For a gamer who likes to play DOS games a sound chip is not the best choice. Most hardcore PC builders would not buy this kind of MB. They're just to limited and the sound quality is not as good.
Now the driver for your sound chip is available here.
http://www.viatech.com/Drivers_2/68mu120a.exe
Getting help to setup your sound chip for DOS may be kind of difficult, you can try EliteGroup support
http://www.ecs.com.tw/support/support.htm
or this newsgroup
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup
I do not believe the problem is the game; but the on board sound chip. Now I only been on this site for a couple of months and I have only seen one person with a on board sound chip post for help. But no one was able to give him more help than to post the link to the sound chip driver. I don't know if anyone here can really help you.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 05-18-2001 at 04:58]

Back