Help for FL

Dragon1

Rear Admiral
Hello all,

The people over at the Lancers Reactor website/forum don't seem to have an answer to this, so I am forced to present this here. I hope someone has seen this before.

My character in the Freelancer game is at level 8. I have already acquired the total wealth required for level 9, but my character will not level up. Has anyone had this problem before?

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. I would hate to have to delete and reinstall the game.

Thanks

Yes, the problem is you updated to the 1.1 patch. The patch works fine for multiplayer, but unfortunately if you update your game the single player game has the glitch you're describing where you reach a certain level and can no longer level up (Hooray for untested microsoft updates!). The same thing happened to me. The only fix is unfortunately to delete and reinstall the game without installing the patch. I'm pretty certain you can keep your save files so you don't have to start all over again.

After that you should have no problems at all.

I only vaguely remember how Freelancer's character level system worked, but... IIRC, the game sometimes forces you to continue the storyline by preventing further advancement until you complete the next set of storyline missions. I could be completely wrong here, though, I really don't remember.

Quarto said:
I only vaguely remember how Freelancer's character level system worked, but... IIRC, the game sometimes forces you to continue the storyline by preventing further advancement until you complete the next set of storyline missions. I could be completely wrong here, though, I really don't remember.

There are some level-ups that require mission completions but this glitch happens when you don't have a mission assigned to you and you're just told to go out and make money.

By the way if I remember correctly even if you have enough experience to level up it won't automatically do it when you start playing next time I think you'll have to blow away at least one ship for it to register that you're supposed to be leveled up.

Yeah, I just sold some scrap metal and it recognized my new level.

I really have to say that the Wing Commander community is the best on the internet! No one in the Freelance/Starlancer community would even respond to me let alone answer a question that should be a basic technical support thing.

Spien said:
unfortunately if you update your game the single player game has the glitch you're describing where you reach a certain level and can no longer level up (Hooray for untested microsoft updates!)

Dragon1 said:
(...dirty Microsoft sons-of-b....)

Save the cheap shots at Microsoft for Slashdot. While Freelancer was published by Microsoft, it was developed in Austin by Digital Anvil and a handful of former Origin employees. DA also did the WC movie's awesome CGI.

And how the hell could nobody at TLR come up with this solution?

The v.1.1 patch may have been developed by ex-members of Origin, but I picked it up at Microsoft's home site. Perhaps a little quality control is in order.

Although, I can't complain because the problem is now solved and I can go about my merry gaming way.

Dragon1 said:
The v.1.1 patch may have been developed by ex-members of Origin, but I picked it up at Microsoft's home site. Perhaps a little quality control is in order.

Yeah, of course there is, but that doesn't change anything. All Microsoft published games go through the same website, no matter where they're developed.

In any case Digital Anvil deserves a slap for releasing a broken patch and never bothering to fix it. I guess their rationality is download it if you want multiplayer but don't download it if you want single player. I always like to install all the latest patches before playing a new game, though and didn't stop to think a patch might actually do more harm than good.

Going through a web site owned by someone else doesn't mean dick.

Or are you, Dragon1, really claiming the CIC is responsible for making the various WC-related downloads?

I think you guys might be reading too much into my silly little comment.

In any case Digital Anvil deserves a slap for releasing a broken patch and never bothering to fix it. I guess their rationality is download it if you want multiplayer but don't download it if you want single player. I always like to install all the latest patches before playing a new game, though and didn't stop to think a patch might actually do more harm than good.

Spien is correct. A little disclaimer may have been nice.

I distinctly remember there being a disclaimer or notice mentioning that only those who planned to host servers needed to install the 1.1 patch.

EDIT: http://www.microsoft.com/games/freelancer/downloads_06.asp
"There is really no need to install the update unless you are running a server or are unable to play multiplayer because you can't get an ID."

As such I never did install the patch except on the server I used to run (which was on another machine).

alrighty then. FreeLancer related stuff huh?

now thats something i know about too.

basically, in single player you either have to do missions or make creds to level up... simple. check your bio every once in a while, and it'll tell you how much you need to get to level up, or tell you that you need to do a story mission to level up. one or the other.... even after the patches.

just keep at it, and you shoudl level up.

as for places where to get info, my advice is to go here

forums.getonit.net.au

this is the forum board for the GOI server. this server plays vanilla FL. which means no mods of any kind client side. only server side. and the only ones available are the high missions mods. thats it. other than that, the game here is as it was when it was released.

the community there is second to none, and we will help anyone who asks. the info is there, even the technical side, so just join and post there, and you'll get your answer. fairly simple. hope you enjoy FL cos i sure do:D

well if you ask the admin of the server on the server forum, they might just be able to re-instate you with the ID or move the chars over to the new ID if you ask them nicely (they often do this over on GOI which is one of the better forums/servers around for FL).

I was playing on a big brazillian ISP's server, I don't know if they still keep it... and if there is someone to contact. But thanks for the tip, I'll try it anyway.

Back