Hehehe... ah, Freespace...

I'm a huge fan of both Wing Commander and Freespace and i totally agree with Darkmage about the animosity here towards Freespace it makes no sense and claims it killed the genre are ridiculous, you could say the same for Wing commander Prophecy which i feel was the least enjoyable game of the series. Its a shame because the community here is fantastic and kept my belief and interest in space sims alive for the last 10 years.

Freespace 2 had the best dogfighting and large ship battles of any space game I've ever played apart from possibly the first 2 wing commanders. The story in Freespace 2 i found very enjoyable of course not on a par with Chris Roberts creations but he had millions behind him when he was working for EA. I've dumped a ridiculous amount of money on Star Citizen, supported Elite Dangerous and hope they are both huge successes so hopefully we will see another Wing commander and Freespace in future.

I'm a huge fan of both Wing Commander and Freespace and i totally agree with Darkmage about the animosity here towards Freespace it makes no sense and claims it killed the genre are ridiculous, you could say the same for Wing commander Prophecy which i feel was the least enjoyable game of the series. Its a shame because the community here is fantastic and kept my belief and interest in space sims alive for the last 10 years.

Prophecy was a big hit... so big that EA released the full 56-mission follow up WC Secret Ops for free online to tide fans over while WC Strike Team, Privateer 3 and other games were in development. Freespace "killing" the genre isn't just speculation - you can see in the internal Origin documents from the late '90s that the good reception yet poor showing from FS2 totally spooked the industry and was a major contributor that caused companies to pivot towards online games. In hindsight, we can say that was a terrible decision for them to make, but Freespace definitely influenced it.

Back