Heatseekers or ImRecs?

Ijuin

Admiral
In WC3/4, do you choose to use Heatseeker missiles or ImRecs?

Advantages of Heatseeker:

1) Marginally faster and more agile than ImRec.

2) Always strikes the rear quadrant of a spacecraft, which means that on targets that require multiple missile hits to kill, the missile always strikes the damaged area.

3) When lock is lost due to evasion (NOT decoys!), Heatseekers will automatically lock onto the first heat source to enter its cone of vision. Note that Heatseekers cannot distinguish between friend and foe.

4) Marginally greater explosive yield compared to ImRec.

Advantages of ImRec:

1) Can lock onto a target from any angle--a must when fighting against light, agile craft that are capable of turning their engines away from you before lock can establish on a Heatseeker.

2) Lock cannot be broken by evasion--only decoys can break an ImRec lock. This is also a must when fighting agile opponents.

Opinions?

ImRecs when I'm in a large sized dogfight. Snap it off and move onto the next one.

Heat-Seekers for bombers or when I'm taking my time on a fighter or two.

I prefer the Javelin. Hits the cats where it hurts, nice and fast, and they do good amount of damage. 'Course, light-fighters can jump out of that two-sec lock easily, but a few volleys from an Ion Cannon and that Darket goes from furball to fireball.

Gotta go with the ImRecs, not that it matters that much cuz I usually let any missiles loose close enough to my target that they don't have time to dodge...

HS. The bigger punch is all that matters for me. Well I'd pick DF when I can...

IMREC, Some of those Kilrathi Fighters have that nasty rear turret. Who wants to get chewed up just waiting to get a HS missle lock?

I use both in WCP, what with the missle editor in wcpedit...but in earlier games, yeah the ImRec is the best...i also like the FoF

ImRecs. If I have a lot, Longbow, Excalibur, I launch one, change targets, launch one, change targets, release wingman, change targets, launch one, change targets, launch one, change targets, and go gunning.

They both have their uses, but I prefer imrecs for anti-fighter usage. Heatseekers are nice for any of the heavier stuff :rolleyes:

Between the 2 I prefer HS.But Generally FOF are the best....

Very usefull cause they dont need lock Timing.Always use in full salvo against many enemies.

Of course the IR!
You can kill those nasty fighters which are too fast for the guns with a single hit. The HS is better against heavy fighters (as someone said before) but those fighters you can also knock out with the guns by ease!
By the way: I don`t like the FoF. Their only advantage is that you can shoot them instantly. But I gues they only come to use while you are piloting something like a longbow becouse than you perhaps don`t have enough time to get a lock. Otherwise it`s nearly always possible to take the time to get a lock for something with more bang.

In a heavy dogfight, I don't like to let the wingmen get any kills, so I don't like trailing each individual enemy craft for heat seekers, or waiting for Imrecs to lock. I afterburn right towards the enemy, nail it a few times with my guns, then launch a FoF. This is most effective for me when fighting light/medium fighters. They die quickly, then I can target the next enemy. In most WC games, if the AI wingmen get more kills than I have, I redo the mission. So, to make a long story short, FoF's for me.

Originally posted by Ijuin
In WC3/4, do you choose to use Heatseeker missiles or ImRecs?
IRs, just out of habit most of the time. It's a nice balance between firepower (DF->HS->IR->FF) and targeting (vice versa).

Originally posted by Ijuin
When lock is lost due to evasion (NOT decoys!), Heatseekers will automatically lock onto the first heat source to enter its cone of vision.
I've never noticed this in the game. :(

Originally posted by dacis2
NOT AGAIN!!!
Quit moaning.

Originally posted by dacis2
Enhanced LRIR for me
The Artemis. SO's IRs are very powerful... I don't know if that's a necessarily a good thing in terms of gameplay balance, but against the dozens of Nephilim, it probably is.

Originally posted by Sythifuge
In most WC games, if the AI wingmen get more kills than I have, I redo the mission.
I don't think the AI has ever scored more kills than me. :)

Back