Heart of the Tiger Novel.

The only thing I really disliked on the HOTT and TPOF novels is that Blair appeared to be more of a whinner wuss than the great leader. And I'm not talking about how he loses some of the missions - for it would be a boring book, as loaf said above, if all went well - but off the cockpit.

Nevertheless it's been a long time since I last read the book.

LeHah said:
No, Im saying they're from the same source. I'm saying you're wrong.

It was Loaf that implied the novel was based on an early draft, and also based most of the ideas off Wing 1 and 2. If it was based off the shooting script then there is no excuse for all the changes. The script doesnt have Paladin talking like that, and the dialogue is a lot better.

Ed

Edx said:
It was Loaf that implied the novel was based on an early draft. If it was based off the shooting script then there is no excuse for all the changes.

Well, if you're going to get that asinine - I'll have to say you're wrong again because a great deal of drafts are handed into companies, used as shooting scripts and adjusted according to production deadlines, actor's availability, editing and a number of other factors. Once a screenplay is bought - it's considered a shooting script once it's broken down into a production schedual.

Basicly, the early draft you refer to is just as legit as the final product.

Edx said:
The script doesnt have Paladin talking like that, and the dialogue is a lot better.

Thats a strange thing to say considering a great deal of the dialouge is also in the game, verbatim.

It's amazing how this went from debating specific points about something to some kind of a desperate hope that LeHah might have been unspecific enough to imply the existence of secret knowledge.

hanks.jpg

Tom Hanks... Secrets...!

LeHah said:
Thats a strange thing to say considering a great deal of the dialouge is also in the game, verbatim.

:confused: No it isnt. And I didnt think you would question this of all things :D (as I thought it was obvious!). It is certainly NOT verbatim.

And if the events in HoTT are so accurate to the WC timeline (as Loaf has said), and matches the game so perfectly, explain how Flash and the Excalibur gets aboard the Victory? Or how about WHEN and WHERE, in the timeline, does Blair get the message from Thrakhath and finds out about Angels death? Another example... how about when Thrakhath delivers his message to the Victory, ie "We will tear your tongues out, we will scoop out your brains"... again, WHEN did this event occur, and WHEN? Like other events, the book and game tells it differently (along with the usual dialogue changes) ---- I mean hey look, Im all for filling in the gaps! But thats not what this is, and when its all over the place like this it doesnt make for a pleasant reading experience. (and I also noticed a religious element that wasnt in the game nor subsequent games, which again seemed out of place)

And I made the example of Rachel, which seemingly to me always appeared to be saying "skipper" all the time. Well, looking through the book she seems to say it at least once every time she talks to Blair. The novel even has Vaquero and Flint calling Blair "skipper" at some point! (maybe others too) But when I searched the script I actually found NO ONE says skipper, not even Rachel, and the only few references to "skipper" were to the cloaked missiles. I mean it was said too much anyway and got really annoying, but it wasnt even in the script!

Here are a few examples of different dialogue. So much for verbatim....
(I copied out- only -the dialogue from the novel)

Novel: [Blair:]"Hobbes here is one of the best pilots who ever flew with the Flight Corps. What are you doing wearing that Line outfit? Getting too old to squeeze into a cockpit? [Hobbes:]...."Its warms my heart to see you again, Colonel" ... "But I fear now is not the time to swap life stories.

vs

Script:"HOBBES: It warms my heart to see you again, Colonel. But I must excuse myself now, as your duty here takes precedence over our catching up on old times." (--note: most of this scene is quite different)

Novel: [flash:]"Major Jace Dillon, Tamayo Home defense Airspace Command. Im your replacement pilot. [Blair:]"That remains to be seen. Whats the idea of pulling that damned stunt on your approach, Dillion? [Flash:]"Stunt, sir? Oh the flyby. Hell, Colonel, it was just a bit of showmanship. They dont call me Flash for nothing.

vs

Script: FLASH: Colonel. Which way to the bridge? Confed’s expecting my tech debrief. BLAIR: I caught some of the incoming radio, Major. How long have you carried the Flash handle? FLASH: (smile) Since my first day at Academy. I don’t think you should ever apologize for sporting a little style.
(--Aside from the obvious rather large differences in the entire Flash storyline, the ship Flash flies in on in this scene is different in the game and the book. Book: Thunderbolt. Game: Excalibur)

Novel: [Rachel:] "Cant talk now, skipper"..."All you fighter jocks were so damned eager to draw recon work. Well, now you got it, and that means us common techies have to bust our asses to keep you flying"

vs

Script: RACHEL: Not now, partner. All you jocks wanted recon work so bad - - now you got it, which means us grunts gotta bust our asses for you.

Novel: [Tolwyn:] A word of warning. The cats knew exactly where we were going and when. They even knew exactly where to strike. I believe you have a leaky ship, Captain. [Eisen:] With all due respect, sir... I resent such suggestion regarding my people. They've served this ship and the confederation with honor, one and all. There are never any guarantees when it comes to battle, Admiral. And no such thing as certain as victory, no matter how awesome your weapon may be.

vs

Script: TOLWYN: They knew where we were going . . . and when . . . They knew exactly where to strike . . .-> (bitterly) I have every reason to suspect you have a leaky ship, Captain. EISEN: Respectfully, sir . . . I resent such innuendoes concerning my crew’s loyalty. Battles are won or lost. There are never any guarantees. And at the time, she was your ship, sir.

etc etc ... thats generally what its like throughout, some changes being more blatant than others... and unlike Loaf I dont have an online copy of the novel. Most of the time it just seemed sloppily written comparably, but like I said it DOES have key events in the WC3 timeline, that are DIFFERENT to the game. They contradict each other, not compliment!

And of course, Paladin didnt talk *that* way in the script either :p

Ed
PS: sorry if I my grammar or spelling is messed up, its late and I dont have time to check.

And if the events in HoTT are so accurate to the WC timeline (as Loaf has said), and matches the game so perfectly, explain how Flash and the Excalibur gets aboard the Victory? Or how about WHEN and WHERE, in the timeline, does Blair get the message from Thrakhath and finds out about Angels death? Another example... how about when Thrakhath delivers his message to the Victory, ie "We will tear your tongues out, we will scoop out your brains"... again, WHEN did this event occur, and WHEN? Like other events, the book and game tells it differently (along with the usual dialogue changes) ---- I mean hey look, Im all for filling in the gaps! But thats not what this is, and when its all over the place like this it doesnt make for a pleasant reading experience. (and I also noticed a religious element that wasnt in the game nor subsequent games, which again seemed out of place)

I believe I claimed the former, not the latter (accurate to timeline v. matches the game). It is impossible to match a novelization to an *interactive* video game. When we refer to the events of mid-2669, we'll generally refer to the way they happened in the novel rather than in any one of fifteen different ways to play through a video game.

(There are exceptions -- Flash, for instance, talks about his test pilot experience in the novel... though we don't see it in the prose.)

And I made the example of Rachel, which seemingly to me always appeared to be saying "skipper" all the time. Well, looking through the book she seems to say it at least once every time she talks to Blair. The novel even has Vaquero and Flint calling Blair "skipper" at some point! (maybe others too) But when I searched the script I actually found NO ONE says skipper, not even Rachel, and the only few references to "skipper" were to the cloaked missiles. I mean it was said too much anyway and got really annoying, but it wasnt even in the script!

So... this is wrong because... people... can't call Blair skipper? Is there some Playstation exclusive scene where Eisen orders no one to give Blair a nickname? I'm lost.

The novel also calls him 'Maverick'. Reconcile that fact in the same manner.

Here are a few examples of different dialogue. So much for verbatim....
(I copied out- only -the dialogue from the novel)

The novel and the script aren't verbatim. As I told you at the very beginning of this debate, the novel is based on an earlier version and is corrected to be more prosaic.

You just wasted a lot of time proving me right to spite *LeHah*.

... wait, no you didn't, his claim was that "a great deal" of the dialogue in the book came from the script. You're just spitting in the wind.

etc etc ... thats generally what its like throughout, some changes being more blatant than others... and unlike Loaf I dont have an online copy of the novel. Most of the time it just seemed sloppily written comparably, but like I said it DOES have key events in the WC3 timeline, that are DIFFERENT to the game. They contradict each other, not compliment!

And of course, Paladin didnt talk *that* way in the script either

Paladin did speak that way in the game, though - as he was voiced with a Scottish accent.

(I think you'd have trouble finding a single movie script with a character's dialogue written in brogue. It would be fully counter to the purpose of a script. You will, however, find that it is very common in literature... and the original two Wing Commander games. Why this concept continues to elude you is beyond me.)

Damn Loaf, Im sure we would get on just fine in another context and you seem cool on Wingnut, but why do you have to be so damn difficult on purpose with things like this? :rolleyes: Sheesh... anyway to the post... *deep breath*

Bandit LOAF said:
I believe I claimed the former, not the latter (accurate to timeline v. matches the game).

Alright then lets take a close look at what you did say:

"Heart of the Tiger is Wing Commander through and through -- and it *sets* the continuity. It's because of the Heart of the Tiger novel that future stories can refer to exactly what happened on the Victory in 2669. "

So the novel is WC "through and through", and it "*sets* the continuity". And you say this is why "future stories" can refer to exactly what happened on the Victory, but how can anyone refer to "exactly what happened on the Victory" when the book and the game contradict each other in several major ways?

It is impossible to match a novelization to an *interactive* video game. When we refer to the events of mid-2669, we'll generally refer to the way they happened in the novel rather than in any one of fifteen different ways to play through a video game.

(There are exceptions -- Flash, for instance, talks about his test pilot experience in the novel... though we don't see it in the prose.)

Firstly, That wasnt my criticism, of course. Despite what you seem to imply by your responces Im not a complete idiot. There *are* different ways to play the game, but none of these different ways would result on the events EVER playing out the way it is written in the novel. THATS MY POINT

Secondly, Flashes story is almost completely different in the novel. To summerise: In the game the Victory is assisting with the Excalibur test flights, and thats why Flash came aboard, *flying* an Excaliber. He either stays with you on the Victory if you win in the sim challenge, or he leaves, he can also die later on. But in the novel he is there mealy as a replacement pilot, who flies in on a Thunderbolt. There is no challenge to Flash at all, and he dies sometime later.

And that is just the insident with Flash, the other examples I gave are equally valid. The game and the novel contradict each other in several ways. Not even mental gymnastics cannot make them fit properly.

So... this is wrong because... people... can't call Blair skipper? Is there some Playstation exclusive scene where Eisen orders no one to give Blair a nickname? I'm lost.
The novel also calls him 'Maverick'. Reconcile that fact in the same manner.

I had no problem with the callsign "Mavrick", because they had to call him something. But my problem with the novel was not only that I felt the dialogue was poorly written, and the constant use of the same phrases over and over that started to make the characters start to sound like one dimensional caricatures IMO. But not only that, but NO ONE in the script calls Blair that anyway, so it makes even less sence. Its made up, its not in the game.

The HoTT novel to me seems badly written in so many ways. I enjoyed End Run, which I read afterwards, and I have started Action Stations. So when you told me Forstchen didnt actually write HoTT this actually makes complete sence. Even if those major events were different, I STILL found HoTT was written badly.

The novel and the script aren't verbatim. As I told you at the very beginning of this debate, the novel is based on an earlier version and is corrected to be more prosaic.
You just wasted a lot of time proving me right to spite *LeHah*.

If you look, I was actually replying to LeHah. :rolleyes: I was also talking a bit about the events that were different, because you asserted somewhere else that the novel "sets" the continuity, and so therefore you would think that Wing3, the actual damn game itself would match. But no it doesnt, in so many ways. The novel doesnt just fill in the gaps.

... wait, no you didn't, his claim was that "a great deal" of the dialogue in the book came from the script. You're just spitting in the wind.

Now you are just playing the semantics game! :D LeHah said it was "a strange thing to say" that in the game the dialogue was a lot better, because "a great deal of the dialogue is also in the game, verbatim". But thats not true. Verbatim doesn't mean "sort of like". The truth is only a very small portion of the dialogue ingame is actually "verbatim". I only gave a few examples, I could open the book anywhere and find more without even trying.

Paladin did speak that way in the game, though - as he was voiced with a Scottish accent.

He didnt have a bad Scottish accent which is how it read in several places. But not everywhere. Its the over the top useage that I was complaining about, like I had said before.

(I think you'd have trouble finding a single movie script with a character's dialogue written in brogue. It would be fully counter to the purpose of a script. You will, however, find that it is very common in literature... and the original two Wing Commander games. Why this concept continues to elude you is beyond me

Of course I understand that but that again was directed at LeHah, not you.

And any piece literature that tries so hard to make sure people understand that the character/s have an accent that is very hard to read is sloppy IMO, because clearly they cant find a better and more articulate way to tell the story. I will be interested in how The Price of Freedom novel deals with this. That novel is on its way, but Im sure if it does do something like this Im pretty sure its not nearly as bad at all that I would complain about it like this.

---
Once I again I am telling you that I dont care if you personally, or anyone else likes the book. My original position was that *I* didnt like it, and you challenged me on those reasons. You deny there is any significant discrepancy between the game and book, even though certian key sequences, scenes and characters that ARE very different including the entire Flash storyline. You say that it fills in the gaps, well, yes it does. And the "gaps" is probably what future games pulled from which is fine, but thats NOT my problem with it. In fact I read it expecting that! I didnt however expect so many things do be so different to the game. WC3 dialogue may not have been Shakespeare but it was a hellava lot better than the (imo) dredful changes in the book, like making so many people call Blair "skipper" when it wasnt even in the script. So while it does show what else happened in WC3 I simply cant take it seriously when such major changes to the actual game storyline were made.

Now why this is now relevant to SAGA? Well, you defend the novel despite these rather large contradictions between the game and the book, and then furiously rat on SAGA calling them liars for simply giving incorrect ship classes. I dont know enough about WC to comment on how true that is, but I dont really care, but you do seem to have one rule for stuff like the novel and one rule for SAGA, even though the changes the novel made where much more noticeable and huge. You say SAGAs "incorrect" ship classes will cause confusion. Well, maybe it will, if anyone cares. But what if no one played WC3, and only read the novel? Is it not fair to say they would have a incorrect perception of what to expect with the WC3 game storyline? Would you not have to "correct" them as well?

Ed

Much like the fart I just ripped, you're chasing all sense of logic out of the room, Edx.

LeHah said:
Much like the fart I just ripped, you're chasing all sense of logic out of the room, Edx.

You can say it but it wont make it true. Show me where this apparent illogic lies, and I will correct it or condede that Im wrong. Unlike certian people that are seemingly unwilling to do the same I admit if Im wrong about something.

Ed

Damn Loaf, Im sure we would get on just fine in another context and you seem cool on Wingnut, but why do you have to be so damn difficult on purpose with things like this? Sheesh... anyway to the post... *deep breath*

Oh, yes, how dare I disagree with you! How dare I argue a point! How dare I be good at it!

Alright then lets take a close look at what you did say:

"Heart of the Tiger is Wing Commander through and through -- and it *sets* the continuity. It's because of the Heart of the Tiger novel that future stories can refer to exactly what happened on the Victory in 2669. "

So the novel is WC "through and through", and it "*sets* the continuity". And you say this is why "future stories" can refer to exactly what happened on the Victory, but how can anyone refer to "exactly what happened on the Victory" when the book and the game contradict each other in several major ways?

The worlds most obnoxious method of quoting something aside, the answer is what I've already given you -- an interactive video game is inherently self-contradictory and a difficult base from which to generate a history.

Firstly, That wasnt my criticism, of course. Despite what you seem to imply by your responces Im not a complete idiot. There *are* different ways to play the game, but none of these different ways would result on the events EVER playing out the way it is written in the novel. THATS MY POINT

Secondly, Flashes story is almost completely different in the novel. To summerise: In the game the Victory is assisting with the Excalibur test flights, and thats why Flash came aboard, *flying* an Excaliber. He either stays with you on the Victory if you win in the sim challenge, or he leaves, he can also die later on. But in the novel he is there mealy as a replacement pilot, who flies in on a Thunderbolt. There is no challenge to Flash at all, and he dies sometime later.

And that is just the insident with Flash, the other examples I gave are equally valid. The game and the novel contradict each other in several ways. Not even mental gymnastics cannot make them fit properly.

You realize that "mental gymnastics" is cutesy livejournal-speak for "thinking"? Therein, perhaps, lies the fundamental rift of this thread.

(I would argue that the two backstories for Flash can co-exist in the timeline in a number of ways. Do you actually want to discuss them?)

I had no problem with the callsign "Mavrick", because they had to call him something. But my problem with the novel was not only that I felt the dialogue was poorly written, and the constant use of the same phrases over and over that started to make the characters start to sound like one dimensional caricatures IMO. But not only that, but NO ONE in the script calls Blair that anyway, so it makes even less sence. Its made up, its not in the game.

No one in the script (or the game) calls him "Maverick", either. But... it's okay for the novel to do so because... 'they had to call him something'.

But it's *not* okay for the novel to call him 'skipper'... because...?

The HoTT novel to me seems badly written in so many ways. I enjoyed End Run, which I read afterwards, and I have started Action Stations. So when you told me Forstchen didnt actually write HoTT this actually makes complete sence. Even if those major events were different, I STILL found HoTT was written badly.

And I find your accusations baseless. Your concept of 'written badly' is so far afield as to be completely contrary to how anyone else would define such things. (Oh, no! It uses proper grammar and literary conventions!)

If you look, I was actually replying to LeHah. I was also talking a bit about the events that were different, because you asserted somewhere else that the novel "sets" the continuity, and so therefore you would think that Wing3, the actual damn game itself would match. But no it doesnt, in so many ways. The novel doesnt just fill in the gaps.

Yes, I know - I pointed that out. In your rush to discredit *LeHah*, you supported me and proved that you understood the point you were feigning ignorance about.

Now you are just playing the semantics game! LeHah said it was "a strange thing to say" that in the game the dialogue was a lot better, because "a great deal of the dialogue is also in the game, verbatim". But thats not true. Verbatim doesn't mean "sort of like". The truth is only a very small portion of the dialogue ingame is actually "verbatim". I only gave a few examples, I could open the book anywhere and find more without even trying.

Oh, dear -- "semantics"... in the Wing Commander III novel thread.

(and this isn't even a case of semantics -- LeHah's claim was very clearly worded to avoid the kind of idiocy that you responded to it with. "A great deal" inherently means *not all*.

He didnt have a bad Scottish accent which is how it read in several places. But not everywhere. Its the over the top useage that I was complaining about, like I had said before.

How do you not understand this? It's not some kind of crazy over the top Heart of the Tiger-specific thing designed to offend you. That is SIMPLY HOW YOU WRITE SCOTS. You will find it in ordinary books and you will find it in classic literature.

(Hey, my copy of Confessions of a Justified Sinner has a little lexicon in the back that explains Hogg's Scots dialogue. Maybe you could use that. It's the Oxford Press edition.)

And any piece literature that tries so hard to make sure people understand that the character/s have an accent that is very hard to read is sloppy IMO, because clearly they cant find a better and more articulate way to tell the story. I will be interested in how The Price of Freedom novel deals with this. That novel is on its way, but Im sure if it does do something like this Im pretty sure its not nearly as bad at all that I would complain about it like this.

You're going to hate it.

(On purpose)

Once I again I am telling you that I dont care if you personally, or anyone else likes the book. My original position was that *I* didnt like it, and you challenged me on those reasons. You deny there is any significant discrepancy between the game and book, even though certian key sequences, scenes and characters that ARE very different including the entire Flash storyline. You say that it fills in the gaps, well, yes it does. And the "gaps" is probably what future games pulled from which is fine, but thats NOT my problem with it. In fact I read it expecting that! I didnt however expect so many things do be so different to the game. WC3 dialogue may not have been Shakespeare but it was a hellava lot better than the (imo) dredful changes in the book, like making so many people call Blair "skipper" when it wasnt even in the script. So while it does show what else happened in WC3 I simply cant take it seriously when such major changes to the actual game storyline were made.

I don't think I did deny that, though - you're putting words in my mouth. This thread started as a discussion of *why* the novel and the game were different at points - accepting that there are differences would seem to be a prequisite for posting in it.

Were I pressed, I would, indeed, claim that there were no irreconcilable differences - but the key word would be irreconcilable... and I have not been pressed.

Now why this is now relevant to SAGA? Well, you defend the novel despite these rather large contradictions between the game and the book, and then furiously rat on SAGA calling them liars for simply giving incorrect ship classes. I dont know enough about WC to comment on how true that is, but I dont really care, but you do seem to have one rule for stuff like the novel and one rule for SAGA, even though the changes the novel made where much more noticeable and huge. You say SAGAs "incorrect" ship classes will cause confusion. Well, maybe it will, if anyone cares. But what if no one played WC3, and only read the novel? Is it not fair to say they would have a incorrect perception of what to expect with the WC3 game storyline? Would you not have to "correct" them as well?

The novel is Wing Commander, Saga is drek. Huma ta humas.

This thread has *nothing* to do with Saga - claiming otherwise is a cowardly emotional appeal.

Bandit LOAF said:
Oh, yes, how dare I disagree with you! How dare I argue a point! How dare I be good at it!

Damn it Loaf! Why do you have do be so combative! That you are "good" at this is a matter of opinion. I was simply referring to unwillingness to listen to my argument and that you are being difficult on purpose.

An interactive video game is inherently self-contradictory and a difficult base from which to generate a history.

Like I said in the last post, "There *are* different ways to play the game, but none of these different ways would result on the events EVER playing out the way it is written in the novel"

But if that is not what you are talking about, then in fact you cannot tell "exactly" what happened on the Victory by reading the novel and playing the game. You see that was a very precise thing you said, and if you were to line up the game timeline and the book timeline they_wont_match (even ignoring any interactive elements the game has). If the book or game were to say which day the events described took place, it would be like me asking you if an event happened on a Monday, or a week later on a Thursday!

You realize that "mental gymnastics" is cutesy livejournal-speak for "thinking"? Therein, perhaps, lies the fundamental rift of this thread.

I see... well usually you say someone is performing "mental gymnastics" when they are (for example) trying to reconcile 2 different contradictory statements because they WANT them to fit, not because they actually do.

(I would argue that the two backstories for Flash can co-exist in the timeline in a number of ways. Do you actually want to discuss them?)

Well I will remind you said can tell "exactly what happened on the Victory".

So for please tell me for starters, which ship did Flash fly in on? A Thunderbolt, or an Excalibur? Remember, "exactly"...

No one in the script (or the game) calls him "Maverick", either. But... it's okay for the novel to do so because... 'they had to call him something'.

But it's *not* okay for the novel to call him 'skipper'... because...?

It would be a little strange if Blair didnt have a callsign in the novel, so that is understandable. But the overused nickname "skipper", was added to the dialogue and most of the time didnt even NEED to be there. Other words could have been used, (like they were in the game) which seemed like sloppy writing in the end, that none were.

And I find your accusations baseless. Your concept of 'written badly' is so far afield as to be completely contrary to how anyone else would define such things. (Oh, no! It uses proper grammar and literary conventions!)

This is what I mean by "being difficult". You keep misrepresenting my position Loaf, I dont know why you keep doing that.

I felt it was written badly, not because of the changes in story but because phrases and some of the dialogue felt sloppy. eg. "Skipper" (see above). And Hobbes does call Blair "my friend" a lot too, you only listed "old friend". . It read, to me, as if it wasnt proof read very well. If you think its brilliant, thats great. In my opinion it wasnt written very well, it felt rushed.

Yes, I know - I pointed that out. In your rush to discredit *LeHah*, you supported me and proved that you understood the point you were feigning ignorance about.

I didnt support you, LeHah disagreed with you on a certain point. I also addressed your claim that the events in the novel and game are so uncontradictory that you can tell "exactly" what happened on the Victory, Well, you obviously cant tell "exactly". To make them fit you HAVE to throw out bits and pieces of both stories and pick parts you want to keep in order to reconcile them.

(and this isn't even a case of semantics -- LeHah's claim was very clearly worded to avoid the kind of idiocy that you responded to it with. "A great deal" inherently means *not all*.

Great now you are calling me an idiot. :rolleyes: And you didnt read properly, or you are being difficult on purpose again. Like I said, there is NOT A GREAT DEAL of dialogue "verbatim"! LeHaH's comment was obviously talking about almost all of of it because it was a response to my comment that in the game the dialogue was much better. If that really isnt what was meant then the argument doesnt even apply anyway.

How do you not understand this? It's not some kind of crazy over the top Heart of the Tiger-specific thing designed to offend you. That is SIMPLY HOW YOU WRITE SCOTS. You will find it in ordinary books and you will find it in classic literature.

After wondering if Rachel really was as one dimensional as she appeared in the book, I then had to read the first page of Paladins introduction about 4 times. And once again, you seem to be forgetting what Ive said. Its not ALL the dialogue written like that I am arguing against, its the small portions of that are actually very hard to read. The very fact that not all of Paladins dialogue written in the book is like that just shows it wasnt necessary.

You're going to hate it.

(On purpose)

Oh yes! Because thats what I do you see. I pay for things and WANT to be disappointed, just to spite people like you! I really am THAT sad!... :rolleyes: I just checked on amazon for reviews, and it appears Blair and Sosa got together in the book, and I think after(?) Catscratch dies... now in the game Sosa really doesnt like Blair if you let Catscratch die so I hope there is a good reason for that story. I *can* see it working, but it depends. I think Forstchen is a better writer anyway so Im sure I will find it a lot more enjoyable regardless.

I don't think I did deny that, though - you're putting words in my mouth. This thread started as a discussion of *why* the novel and the game were different at points - accepting that there are differences would seem to be a prequisite for posting in it.

Funny, I thought it was a discussion about why I didnt like the book.

Were I pressed, I would, indeed, claim that there were no irreconcilable differences - but the key word would be irreconcilable... and I have not been pressed.

Anyone can create a convoluted way of reconciling ANY 2 contradictoy statments, but doesnt mean others will agree with you.

The novel is Wing Commander, Saga is drek. Huma ta humas.

This thread has *nothing* to do with Saga - claiming otherwise is a cowardly emotional appeal.

Great! So now Im an idiot AND a coward. :rolleyes:

You know next to nothing about Saga except that the ships are apparently. named wrong, unless "drek" means something other than "sh*t" Im not familiar with the exact meaning of that word. And yes "this thread" HAD nothing to do with saga, now it does partly. And you didnt answer the question, only tiptoed around it with insults it looks like its because you realize you are being unreasonable.

Ed

The following post is 90% chest pounding in response to your last post which was 90% chest pounding. I propose we leave those areas at that, unless you would like to continue. The interesting nugget is the timeline discussion in the middle -- which is the only part I really enjoyed writing. If you would like to have a legitimate discussion of that, I would be more than happy to oblige. If you would like to continue slinging words at eachother, I can also do that (if you can say anything about LOAF, it's that he knows a lot of words).

Damn it Loaf! Why do you have do be so combative! That you are "good" at this is a matter of opinion. I was simply referring to unwillingness to listen to my argument and that you are being difficult on purpose.

You sound frustrated.

Now, let me ask. You would claim to possess the greater ability to tell when an argument is won or lost (for you accuse me of lacking such in other instances) -- could this frustration be an indication that you're simply *wrong* and unable to prove your point? If it is not, what emotion would you experience were that to come to pass?

Speak, perhaps, even in general terms... for apparently I could benefit from your superiority in such matters.

Like I said in the last post, "There *are* different ways to play the game, but none of these different ways would result on the events EVER playing out the way it is written in the novel"

But if that is not what you are talking about, then in fact you cannot tell "exactly" what happened on the Victory by reading the novel and playing the game. You see that was a very precise thing you said, and if you were to line up the game timeline and the book timeline they_wont_match (even ignoring any interactive elements the game has). If the book or game were to say which day the events described took place, it would be like me asking you if an event happened on a Monday, or a week later on a Thursday!

I would argue that the nature of a freeform video game is that the storyline has an element of freeform to it when we later definine it for future references. Does Blair torpedo the Lexington or does he disable it? Why not both, per the novel. You can't do it in the game, but since the game does not define a path the third option is perfectly acceptable. I will speak of Flash below.

Well I will remind you said can tell "exactly what happened on the Victory".

So for please tell me for starters, which ship did Flash fly in on? A Thunderbolt, or an Excalibur? Remember, "exactly"...

Proposal:

The TCS Victory jumped to the Tamayo System on August 12th, 2669. "Flash", a Home Defense pilot with test pilot experience (per the novel: "I was a test pilot with Camelot Industries"). He puts the Exalibur through its carrier takeoff and landing trials that same day, and ignores the call to scramble (Tamayo 1).

Rachel offers Blair the opportunity to fly the Excalibur the next day (August 13th), which he turns down. Flash returns to Tamayo without incident. The Victory suffers casualties that same day, during the mission Blair could have flown the Excalibur in (Tamayo 2).

As the Victory prepares to leave the system on August 16th, it impresses local Home Defense pilots to replace its losses... including Maj. Dillon and his HF-66 Thunderbolt VII (Chapter 8, Part 1 of the novel - pp.91-101).

There may be other ways to explain it, but I find this to be a fairly appropriate mixing of the two stories which contradicts nothing - you can, indeed, see very little of Flash by simply choosing not to fly the Excalibur (as the novel says, Blair flew a Thunderbolt that day)...

I see... well usually you say someone is performing "mental gymnastics" when they are (for example) trying to reconcile 2 different contradictory statements because they WANT them to fit, not because they actually do.

I kind of doubt that I've ever used so banal a term as "mental gymnastics". I'm out to argue my point, not obscure things with pretty little words designed hope people ignore the obvious.

It would be a little strange if Blair didnt have a callsign in the novel, so that is understandable. But the overused nickname "skipper", was added to the dialogue and most of the time didnt even NEED to be there. Other words could have been used, (like they were in the game) which seemed like sloppy writing in the end, that none were.

Really? Blair doesn't use a callsign in the game's dialogue.

And how is one nickname ("Maverick") any different from another ('Skipper')?

This is what I mean by "being difficult". You keep misrepresenting my position Loaf, I dont know why you keep doing that.

I felt it was written badly, not because of the changes in story but because phrases and some of the dialogue felt sloppy. eg. "Skipper" (see above). And Hobbes does call Blair "my friend" a lot too, you only listed "old friend". . It read, to me, as if it wasnt proof read very well. If you think its brilliant, thats great. In my opinion it wasnt written very well, it felt rushed.

And I felt -- and feel, for you have not bothered me to argue with me on this point -- that your claims as to the "quality" of the writing are tainted by an inability to appreciate legitimate references and conventions coupled with a deep seated propensity towards disliking the book simply because of what it does to the timeline.

In short, you are accusing the method instead of the message.

I didnt support you, LeHah disagreed with you on a certain point. I also addressed your claim that the events in the novel and game are so uncontradictory that you can tell "exactly" what happened on the Victory, Well, you obviously cant tell "exactly". To make them fit you HAVE to throw out bits and pieces of both stories and pick parts you want to keep in order to reconcile them.

The two are one and the same - your desire to simply be contrary to whomever would dare disagree with you on something forced you into two opposing opinions.

Great now you are calling me an idiot. And you didnt read properly, or you are being difficult on purpose again. Like I said, there is NOT A GREAT DEAL of dialogue "verbatim"! LeHaH's comment was obviously talking about almost all of of it because it was a response to my comment that in the game the dialogue was much better. If that really isnt what was meant then the argument doesnt even apply anyway.

I would go so far as to agree with LeHah, and claim that there is a lot of verbatim dialogue in the Heart of the Tiger novel -- and that five or six quotations from a three hundred plus page script is not enough to disprove this claim.

After wondering if Rachel really was as one dimensional as she appeared in the book, I then had to read the first page of Paladins introduction about 4 times. And once again, you seem to be forgetting what Ive said. Its not ALL the dialogue written like that I am arguing against, its the small portions of that are actually very hard to read. The very fact that not all of Paladins dialogue written in the book is like that just shows it wasnt necessary.

Oh, what mortal sin, the novel made the character whose entire purpose was to tell you whether or not your ship was damaged and then to kiss you seemed one dimensional.

Your inability to understand Paladin's brogue is a strike against you and not the novel itself, which used a perfectly ordinary literary convention.

Oh yes! Because thats what I do you see. I pay for things and WANT to be disappointed, just to spite people like you! I really am THAT sad!... I just checked on amazon for reviews, and it appears Blair and Sosa got together in the book, and I think after(?) Catscratch dies... now in the game Sosa really doesnt like Blair if you let Catscratch die so I hope there is a good reason for that story. I *can* see it working, but it depends. I think Forstchen is a better writer anyway so Im sure I will find it a lot more enjoyable regardless.

It's weird how you had a nice sarcastic reply and then ruined it by actually complaining about the book before you'd read it.

(And while I'd hate to add you another out -- because I would be genuinely interested to see how far you would take such a farce -- my desire for giving proper credit wins out: Mr. Ohlander wrote the prose in The Price of Freedom.)

Anyone can create a convoluted way of reconciling ANY 2 contradictoy statments, but doesnt mean others will agree with you.

I generally choose not think about how other people will feel about things I say. A well supported point leaves little room for dissension, save the occasional pigheaded adherence to a company line.

Great! So now Im an idiot AND a coward.

You know next to nothing about Saga except that the ships are apparently. named wrong, unless "drek" means something other than "sh*t" Im not familiar with the exact meaning of that word. And yes "this thread" HAD nothing to do with saga, now it does partly. And you didnt answer the question, only tiptoed around it with insults it looks like its because you realize you are being unreasonable.

I am fairly familiar with the Saga project.

There are contradictions in alot of the novels that I can point out but the Flash one is easily the most impossible to reconcile. In the Novel Flash was quite and amiable person except for his careless flying style which he expalins and apologises for

'Look, I'm sorry if I did something wrong. I just thought I had to show you Regular
boys that Home Defense isn't a bunch of no-talent weekend warriors, like
everybody thinks. Figured if you saw I knew how to handle my bird then you'd
know I could pull my weight, that's all.'

Not only does this prove that the novel Flash isn't just a cocky little jerk but he wants to become an excepted part of the victories crew in the fight against the Kilrathi unlike game Flash who has to lose a bet to even get inside the cockpit to go on a combat mission.

Flash WAS a test pilot who got transferred because his dad part funded the home guard unit in tomayo and wanted his son out of dangerous test flying and he is actually embarressed he's a major despite having absolutely no combat or command experince, in the game there is no mention of Flashes dad and Flash himself actually seems to think he earned his rank depite his total lack of combat experience.

His relationship with Blair is another note worthy issue, they never seemed to have ANY kind of personnel relationship, no rivalry, no arguments.

P.S, did Blair even SEE and excalibur in the Tamayo system let alone fly one? I really can't remember

P.P.S. I live in Scotland even though I've met some people with that kind of accent nobody has ever spoken with one as thick as Paladins.

P.P.P.S Couldn't Rachel and everybody else called Blair the W.C. or would that hacve led to some embarrassing and unhygenic shennanigans?

Not only does this prove that the novel Flash isn't just a cocky little jerk but he wants to become an excepted part of the victories crew in the fight against the Kilrathi unlike game Flash who has to lose a bet to even get inside the cockpit to go on a combat mission.

I think we get a similar characte arch for Flash in the game -- he speaks to Blair later in the game (if he's survives) about having matured:

FLASH
Gotta tell ya, I'm surprised I survived all these missions. Probably surprised you too, right.

BLAIR
You hung tough, I gotta hand you that.

P.S, did Blair even SEE and excalibur in the Tamayo system let alone fly one? I really can't remember

It's never mentioned in the novel. He has to see it when Flint and Maniac are watching it fly around, though.

P.P.S. I live in Scotland even though I've met some people with that kind of accent nobody has ever spoken with one as thick as Paladins.

It's very, very difficult to recognize an accent when you've grown up around (though Paladin is certainly a bigger than life charicature, too).

P.P.P.S Couldn't Rachel and everybody else called Blair the W.C. or would that hacve led to some embarrassing and unhygenic shennanigans?

It's sort of strange - "WC" doesn't have that meaning at all in the US. If you asked the average person where the WC was, they'd have no idea what to tell you.

Back