Has anyone managed to get Speech to work with privateer using a SBLive?

Twisty

Spaceman
Has anyone managed to get Speech to work with privateer using a SBLive? Im running in pure Dos with a boot disk. The parameters seem to be correct as I am able to hear speech in other old games such as Ultima Underworld. The sound works fine, but all I get for speech is static and the game usually freezes if I let a conversation continue. This is usually a tell-tale sign that the port is set incorrectly, but I dont think this is the case. Any ideas?

The static is a known problem with newer sound cards and Privateer. It is easily fixed by limiting EMM386 to 16 megs of RAM in config.sys.

Does this also help WC: Armada? I've got a SBLive, too, and Armada won't work with digital sound on...

Greetings
ButtSeriously

AutoExec.bat
prompt $p$g
path=c:\
c:
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
lh c:\dos\mscdex /D:MSCD001 /L:D
SET BLASTER= A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
lh c:\dos\mouse.com

Config.sys
Code:
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 7680 /I=B000-B7FF
FILES=40
BUFFERS=40
DOS=HIGH,UMB
devicehigh=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD\oakcdrom.sys /D:MSCD001 /M:5 /L:G
Okay, Ive now managed to get speech to work. Silly me, I forgot to put a / before the I parameter for extended memory. I should have checked this before posting.

However, now the game crashes during speech. As Im in "pure" DOS (that is, as pure as it gets with WinME without DOS). I havent patched WinME to be DOS enabled yet and so I am without the MEM command at the moment. My suspicions are that my CD and mouse drivers are taking up too much memory and that is why the game is stalling.

Any ideas?

Try upping that 7680 after EMM386.EXE RAM to 16384 to allocate more upper memory. If you need more base memory, you can try copying priv.tre to your hard drive and editing priv.cfg then remove your CD driver and MSCDEX

O'kay looking at your autoexec.bat do you actual have a DOS directory on your ME machine? The way we usually get P1 to run on a WinME machine is to use a "Win9x Startup Disk" and have the HIMEM.SYS and the EMM386.EXE run off the A: drive like so.

DEVICE=A:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=A:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM

I have the same problem... :(

Install.exe tells me my Sound Blaster config (choosing IRQs, DMAs etc. etc.) is not properly configured...

Yet I have double checked, and all my settings from Windows (and from the bootdisk) are the ones I input in the install.exe menu...

I have Sound Blaste 16, guess it's a "modern-machine" compatibility problem... :(

mpanty, I thought you resolve this with Silent Warrior's autoexec.bat and config.sys. You were try to get your sound card to work via the config.sys. I am not comfortable doing it this way. I prefer doing it via the autoexec.bat. If you wish we can try again. But first try deleting the privater directory and reinstall.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 06-05-2001 at 15:15]

Originally posted by Johnl12
But first try deleting the privater directory and reinstall.
I did that!
I loaded the system with the bootdisk, and reinstalled Privateer on C:\privater instead of C:\games\privater...

Still didn't work... :(

mpanty, if you want me to help you, lets start a new thread. I don't want to confuse you with Twisty's problem.

Okay, Ive decided to take your advice and run the game off the HDD. I made my original boot disk on my other computer which has W98 on it. I have stripped the autoexec and corresponding config of cd driver references.

I copied mem.exe over to a folder on my WinME partition and have got these results in pure DOS after booting from my FD:
Code:
		  USED     FREE
Conv               19       621
Upper         	   53	     38
Reserved       	    0	      0
XMS      	3,582	257,363 

TOTAL EMS	16M
FREE  EMS       16M
Speech now works, but unfortunately the game still freezes when speech and sound play at
the same time. I can only really play it if I choose one over the other, but that kind
of detracts away from the whole nostalgia thing.

[Edited by Twisty on 06-06-2001 at 10:01]

Try this. Since you are now using a "Win98 Startup Disk" for your WinME machine this should work as long as the info you provided is correct. You'll need to add a mouse driver to the autoexec.bat

------------------------AUTOEXEC.BAT-------------------

IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
ECHO=OFF
SET PATH=A:\;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV; SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$P$G

REM -------THE BELOW LINES ARE FOR THE SOUND CARD-----------
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6 J200
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
SBMIXER /P /Q
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

REM ------THE BELOW LINES FOR THE MOUSE------

REM -----------THE BELOW LINE IS FOR THE CD-ROM-----------
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D: MSCD001

SET COMSPEC=A:\COMMAND.COM
ECHO=ON
C:

-------------CONFIG.SYS------------

DEVICE=A:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=A:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM

REM------ CD-ROM DRIVE ---
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /M:5 /L:G

REM---COMMON-----------
DOS=HIGH,UMB
STACKS=18,256
FILESHIGH=50
BUFFERSHIGH=35
LASTDRIVE=G

here If you can get these drivers, then use this:
the sound card is a soundblaster 16 change drivers to suit.
Autoexec.bat
SET SOUND=C:\VIBRA16
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /V
LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.COM

Config.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 2592 RAM
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDPRO\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:1F0,14 /P:170,15 /P:1E8,12 /P:168,10

Darkmage, Twisty is using a SBLive card, the drivers and setting for SB16 wont work with a SBLive card and those are the wrong CD-ROM drivers. When you design a bootdisk for someone it should reflex their setup. Also he is using WinME which does not support DOS. So he need to use a "Win9x Startup Disk". Your bootdisk does not reflex this. In short it wont help him. The bootdisk I design for Twisty reflex his system.

Darkmage, I am not try to be rude, I just don't want to confuse Twisty.:)

[Edited by Johnl12 on 06-07-2001 at 15:24]

Originally posted by Twisty
Okay, Ive decided to take your advice and run the game off the HDD. I made my original boot disk on my other computer which has W98 on it. I have stripped the autoexec and corresponding config of cd driver references.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 06-07-2001 at 16:08]

Back