Has anyone made it past the Palan Missions?

Faderaven

Spaceman
I have a milspec Centurion with 4 tachyon cannons with autotracking. Two missile racks with FOF missiles....and a talking Tachyon turret.

I am getting my ass kicked by Demon Hunters. There's usually 10 of them and they swarm me. They fly right up to me and ram me then just swivel around and quickly take out my shields and armor. I am ususally dead by the time I kill one of them.

Anyone have any hints or tactics? By the way I have it on the easiest setting for this mission not that I've noticed any difference.

If you have enough money you can buy wingmen. Otherwise, make sure to use a lot of missles right off the bat, while at the same time not shooting you missiles. If you have a repair system, you might want to modify your vegastrike.config so it actually works. Instructions are in another thread somewhere.

Extend away from the fight as fast as possible and re-enter on your own terms. Fight until your shields go down, and turn awy before they're completely gone. Be patient and wait for the the shields to come back, and repeat multiple times.

Well, I tried flying with wingmen. After many mishaps I finally hired three who I will now name Larry, Curly, and Moe. They were in the same flight group too. When they weren't killing targets I selected they were shooting and ramming each other. I had to keep them busy.

I finally finished the first mission. This time I only had to kill five or so. Every other time I fought it I would kill five demons then five more would show. Rinse. Repeat.

How many did you guys have to kill? Was there a specific target I had to go after? The Chick in the bar said to go to Nav 1 (there is no Nav 1). The inflight options said to go to Palan. Where I would immediately get attacked. Or ignored. WTF?

You'll want to trade in the plasma cannons for meson or tachyon guns.
Plasma cannons hit hard, but have a long refire, and a slow moving projectile. They're great for all out duels with Kilrathi capships, but they suck when trying to nail small, fast fighters like Demons and Talons. All that hit power is useless if it almost never hits.
A long range, rapid-fire gun with fast moving blasts is what's needed to shoot down Demons.

Well, I tried using the tilde key this time in an attempt to master that inertia strafing strategy. I did much better this time (sheepish grin) but it was still a hell of a battle. I cheated a little I landed for ammo and repairs on Palan - luckily no reinforcements showed up.

Sheesh. No wonder the game has been so hard.

Back