Hardpoints

Sylvester

Vice Admiral
I have a question. The Hardpoints of the WC1-2 ships were exposed with the missiles hanging underneath the craft. Coudn't a missile be set off if a weapon hits one while the shields are down?

Yea it could. I'm not sure as I was quite young the last time I played WC1 and WC2, but I'm pretty sure it actually happened to me a few times in WC2.

However, many warplanes of today have or had missles mounted on the outside of the craft, so it's really no different today.

Missile's hang outside jets today because when you're hit, you're dead. In Wing Commander, I've never had my missiles explode on me when I was shot--the only thing that happens is you lose your armour.

But then again, it is a video game. One does not necessarily expect it to be entirely logical.

In Wing Commander 3 and later, missiles are stored within the fighters.

I do remember losing missiles to enemy hits, like lost weapons, in wc1. I dont think I did take any damage, but I got the message for weapon lost and it disapeared from my ordenance

then again, there was once probably the oddest of bugs I ever saw when one of my cannons launched like a missile in the VDU schematics
dont ask me how...

- K

The missile was likely directly underneath your cannon in the VDU, so it gave the appearance it was firing from your cannon?

Sylvester said:
I have a question. The Hardpoints of the WC1-2 ships were exposed with the missiles hanging underneath the craft. Coudn't a missile be set off if a weapon hits one while the shields are down?
This probably isn't as much of a big deal in WC... sure, you lose armor, but at least you don't get instantly wasted. This method saves internal space, so it's probably a worthy trade-off for some reason. Otherwise they would use internal hardpoints instead, right? :p In the 27th century, this can't possibly be due a technological limitation.

Cam said:
The missile was likely directly underneath your cannon in the VDU, so it gave the appearance it was firing from your cannon?

Er, no you dont get it
The actually weapon flew out. after it did, it wasnt there anymore
I remember friend of mine was like "wow. what the hell was that" when we saw it

and yes, I would guess missiles only arm before they are launcher (or just after)
technically, what would have allowed Spirit to do what she did would be to arm her torps herself as she flew in
in this way, missiles dont go boom accidentally

imagine hiting a fighter in mid space and dying causing one of your missiles nose hit the side of the other guy

That's what happens when you collide at high speed - shields or no shields. ;)

I think Spirit would have armed her torpeoes manually, over-riding any automatic safety measures.

In the books, they pull the arming tags before you even take off. I would assume they're armed and ready to go the whole time. Even in SM1, Maniac was talking about using the mine in the "belly" of his fighter to ram the Sivar dreadnaught. I'm assuming it'd be pre-armed, too.

Tags? Sounds a bit primitive to me.

Although, I suppose you wouldn't want an electronic malfunction to detonate a Mace before it's launched. Try shooting a Morningstar's particle cannons as soon as you launch a Mace. :)

Read the books. They talk about the techs pulling the arming tags and holding them up for the pilots (who are in the cockpit at this point) to see, just before takeoff. I think there was a reference in HOTT or TPOF novelization. Maybe something similar in others? I just know that I remember specifically reading about the teck pulling the tags, and then putting the ten rings on her ten fingers and holding them up for the pilot to see and count.

overmortal said:
Read the books. They talk about the techs pulling the arming tags and holding them up for the pilots (who are in the cockpit at this point) to see, just before takeoff. I think there was a reference in HOTT or TPOF novelization. Maybe something similar in others? I just know that I remember specifically reading about the teck pulling the tags, and then putting the ten rings on her ten fingers and holding them up for the pilot to see and count.

That's what they have to do at the moment isn't it? (Remove the arming pins on the bombs)

By WC times, I'd presume there's also software to make sure weapons can't be discharged accidentally - but would you want to rely just on the software (especially with something like a mace strapped to your fighter?)

You see it in the games, too -- I'm sure everyone here recognizes that the missiles have pull tabs... but just like modern weaponry, we're all sure there are other safeguards to prevent them from exploding before they're fired.

The tags themselves aren't the safety mechanism, they're just attached to the pins that are, in order to make them easily visible for safety reasons. It's easier to see a big red/orange/etc tag than it is a rinky-dink cotter pin, especially if you don't have much time for a detailed look, or aren't close enough for that kind of visual detail. When dealing with stuff that goes "boom", you do not want to be unsure if it's safe to handle (or simply be around) or not.

There are all sorts of tags on planes, weapon tags, sensor cover tags, etc... they have the tag so when the pilot is doing a walk around, they will see if one is still there. I believe the weapon tags are on the firing pins for the ejection of the missle from the plane. If the pin is in place the weapon will not fire but the weapon is armed electronically. Warheads and sensor packages are controlled from the cockpit. In modern days, the A10 Warthog was able to be night capable even though it does not have any night gear. By using the low light camera on the maverick missle attached to the pylon, they had a display in their cocpit.
Jim

Back