Hardest space sim?

Dekkar

Spaceman
Loading up wcIV again, I found myself resighting every line in my head before the actors said them. Sadly it seems I should probably put it aside for awhile, and yet it seems I can't find a suitable replacement. Can anyone think of a space sim that can offer a similar thrill and difficulty level to wcIV? The only possibility I can come up with is wc2.Does anyone have a suggestion? Oh and does wc3 have difficulty settings? I haven't played it for a long time as it's a little hard to get it running on my machine.Might be worth trying to get up and running again if it has settings.

I know Freespace gets pretty hairy near the end and Freespace 2 wastn a walk in the park either but both were fun. Havent played StarLancer though

Yes, Wing Commander III has difficulty settings. While you're in your ship, press the ALT and O keys. This will bring up the options menu, from which you can adjust the difficulty and many other gameplay settings.

So it's the same as wc4 thanks mao. I'll have to try and get that running again. It doesn't seem to like 98 or my graphic card or something.

hardest space sim

Not exactly a space sim but I found Descent 3 to be quite a challenge. No lead target to follow, and them new robots in there are something else! I also found both Freespace 1 and 2 to also be a bit uneasy, to me, mostly due to the way the ships flew. I kept finding myself yelling at the ship I was in to move its a**! I felt like I was in a bomber when the ship was a fighter! Out of them all, Freespace to me was most difficult due to the flight physics. I think the lead target indicator could have been a different color too besides red like the target box! But fun game regardless!

RFBurns

"I did'nt see you, and you're blind, got it?" [pirates, Privateer/RF]

Originally posted by Dekkar
Can anyone think of a space sim that can offer a similar thrill and difficulty level to WCIV? The only possibility I can come up with is WC2. Does anyone have a suggestion? Oh, and does WC3 have difficulty settings?

Uh, WC2 is really quite easy, especially if you compare it to WC4. Plus, I think WC4 is significantly more difficult than WC3.

WCIV and WCII were both quite a challenge and loads of fun. IV was especially hard (well of course thats on nightmare) but still enjoyable. I must admit sometimes I just play through it at Rookie level just to watch all the movies since I don;t have Xanmovie

WC4 can be the easiest or the hardest sim out there. I ripped thru it in only 3 days.

because I was playing it on Rookie so I could get thru it and see the vids before I had to return it :eek:

Tried it on Nightmare first mission tho. Couldnt even beat Maniac first time I did that.

On Freespace: this is off board topic, but its worth saying. Freespace is an excellent WC trainer game - its about as easy to hit something at max gun range in WC as it is to hit a target at 300 in freespace, and to get decent accuracy you have to learn to get on someones tail and say there, afterburners or no. Oh, it also teaches the wonderful tactic of tapping burners - conserves fuel immensely, and is applicable to anything without autoslide in WC1-4 and if you really need it Prophecy.
As far as how hard it was, there were some "oh sh*t" moments including the last mission, but the mission length is much shorter and somewhat more intense than WCP and most others, resulting in an overall easier game.

Hey, how about WC Armada? The gauntlet certainly deserve some credit for its difficulty.

If only the AIs weren't that bad.

That happenens to me either in the sim or on the penultamate guard TC while it gets in prostion. The key is RAMING SPEED oh yhea wc2 in broadsword with missiles and am coming at you.

Back