Hardest Mission

Hobbie

Spaceman
POLL: What is the hardest mission in all of the Wing Commander games? My vote goes to the Wc2, SO1 last mission where you have to nail the Fralthra with seven Gothri.

WC: P mission where you have to let Bravo Wing (in their Shrikes) take out the two Transports. I know the rest of the mission is fine, but I rarely ever get the Shrikes to toast the Transports...

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

The Save the Ralari mission in WC1 or the WC2 (or SO?) mission where you have to nail those two Fralthras with your one Mace and two torps though the latter gets way easier after you discovered the correct way to do it.

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

That depends. When you say hardest do you mean the toughest to complete, or the toughest to survive? Because the two are very different...

Well, Quarto, the toughest mission to survive is usually the toughest to complete, since surviving is part of the mission.
wink2.gif

Vice versa, however, is not necessarily true.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ment the hardest to complete, but usually (like Mad Hatter said) they go hand in hand. Like the SO1 final mission is extremely tough to survive AND to win. I remember the SO2 mission Nighthawk was talking about. At least in that mission you could knock out a Fralthra with the Mace immediately, and then deal with the fighters. I still think the So1 mission is tougher due to the fact that you are in a crappy ship (Sabre) versus the awesome Morningstar.

The Sabre isnt crappy, the shields are. I found the secret to that mission: take out the Kat fighters before they take out your wingmen (it IS possible, and a lot of practice on Privateer helps too so you dont rely on ITTS) and send them in to draw fire while you launch torps. There should be at least one wingman left by the time you take out the first cruiser, and they might even have killed the other one while theyre at it.

------------------
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Or, you could go and kill the fighters near the capships first, and then go back for Bear and his wingman. Finish of the two light fighters, and you'll have a 3 fighter strike force (assuming that Hobbes with his crappy AI has already ejected).

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who dies for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Surrender your Beer, or we'll take it by force.

Member of the LMG (Disgruntled Men)

Any difficulty? On the higher ones yes, but not on the first three. Anyhow, that's the advantage of the later games, you can turn down the difficulty when it gets to tough.

I'm racking my brains and I can't recall ever being stuck on a mission. All the ones mentioned so far have been reasonably difficult, but I didn't feel that they would qualify as being the hardest.

Oh come on, when you first played any of the games don't tell me you didn't have a problem with at least one mission (for me it was Save the Ralari). Unless you have some kind of very superior gaming skills, you can't just jump in and beat every mission (no comment on WC2, however- that was one of the easiest games ever- not including SO 1&2).

If you've played any WC game before, or some other space sim, you'll definetly be able to go through any level on the EASIEST difficulty levels.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who dies for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Surrender your Beer, or we'll take it by force.

Member of the LMG (Disgruntled Men)

Of course I can't complete every single mission first go. All I'm saying is that after a little practice, I could get thru the mission reasonably quick. I had to anyway, at the rate I want to carry on in the story. Missions I would class as being difficult are ones which might take more than a few sessions to get through. Of course, if the gamemakers make a mission too difficult, then the gamer might get discouraged and give up. It's hard to get a balance which satisfies many people.

Wedge009: You make a very good point. That is why some games are good and some are bad. Ones that are too hard or too easy are never popular (with a few exceptions). I think that this is more important than game design or graphics.

For me the hardest mission (and trust me your going to laugh your balls of) was the last mission in WC2 when you go up agains't K'thi....kith.....you no what i mean, the station i just can spell it. Anyways, i have been trying to beat that mission for nine years and i have never been able to do it. Every other mission in the WC series is a walk in the park with the exception of maybe a half dozen missions.

P.S. Don't laugh! I know where you live! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Back