Happy Birthday Wing Commander! (September 26, 2013)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The original Wing Commander game shipped to stores twenty-three years ago on September 26, 1990. Twenty-three isn't a round number or any particular milestone birthday, but it's still amazing to stop for a moment to think about all the years that have gone by. With so many WC games readily available on GOG, this is a great time for new Wingnuts or fans who may have missed a game years ago. It's wonderful that we still continue to see new fans join the fold each year, but we know a large percentage of you have been playing for two decades or more.

It's also a great time for space sim fans in general, and many of you are watching Chris Roberts' newest universe come together in Star Citizen. That project crossed the $20 million crowdfunding mark today, and Chris called out how fortunate it was that this event fell on WC's birthday. You can read his full remarks here.

After you've taken some time to reflect on your years of fandom, please hit the comments link and share your fondest WC memories with everyone else! Happy Birthday Wing Commander!

--
Original update published on September 26, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
#23 is something of an enigma considering the many correlations it has. Click below for some history and other shenanigans regarding this mysterious number.

Just for kicks, the hospital my dad works at...back in the 80s, for doctor confidentiality, they would page a doctor on the overhead by a pre-assigned number. His was...you guessed it...23.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_enigma

Happy Birthday Wing Commander!

Last edited:
#23 is something of an enigma considering the many correlations it has. Click below for some history and other shenanigans regarding this mysterious number.

Just for kicks, the hospital my dad works at...back in the 80s, for doctor confidentiality, they would page a doctor on the overhead by a pre-assigned number. His was...you guesss it...23.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_enigma

Happy Birthday Wing Commander!

Apparently there are crazy people everywhere...........

Happy Birthday!

Happy (belated) birthday Wing Commander! You certainly are the single most influencing video game of my life. I'll never forget your characters, your ships, your music, your cutscenes, your bucket, your killboard...even now, after all those years. there's no game that brought me as much fun as you did and I doubt even Star Citizen will be able to. You're the best, even after all those years!

Hard to believe after all these years, I used to go over to a friend of mine, and play Wing Commander after playing sessions of d&d with them. Good times!!! Best purchase to make. If you don't have GOG, at least get it for this series. It is absolutely perfect. I usually go through a fantasy and sci fi phase with games but this series, I always come back too. Thank you GOG and thanks to everyone in the WC community for keeping everything alive.

Back