Happy Birthday, Mr. Roberts! (May 27, 2011)

I thought Stephen Beeman created the original Wing Commander?

Stephen Beeman was one of the programmers on the original Wing Commander--Chris Roberts was the designer. Hence the "A Chris Roberts Game" on the box:

wc1front.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess if you want to stretch the idea, then everyone involved in making WC1 were the game's creator*s*... Isn't Stephen the one that married Ellen Guon? If you want to suggest someone who had a large hand in creating some of the lore behind the series then I'd turn you to her, But that comes more by way of WC1-Sm2, WC2, and Freedom Flight.

Ellen Guon was the writer at Origin in the early 1990s--she worked on Secret Missions 2, Wing Commander II and both Special Operations disks. She also wrote the novel "Freedom Flight". She has a very distinct voice that you can detect in all those games.

Chris Roberts is the creator of the series in that he was the person who came up with the original pitch for Wing Commander... and the he was the equivalent of the "director" on all of the games while he was at Origin.

Chris Roberts is the creator of the series in that he was the person who came up with the original pitch for Wing Commander... and the he was the equivalent of the "director" on all of the games while he was at Origin.
Wasn't Chris also the guy who played Blair in the WC2 Speech Pack?

I still remember what Chris looks like cause the guy who owned the computer store I bought Wing Commander from looked a lot like him.

If you mean the voice actor, no, that was Ken Demarest. But I understand that Chris Roberts was the actor for Blair in the 'live-action' sequence where Blair and Devereaux kiss.

Chris Roberts had a cameo as Black Lance guy during Tolwyn's trial at the end of WC4.

He's also in some of the funeral scenes in WC3, standing next to Rachel. (His uniform has him as "Roberts".)

He's also the Broadsword pilot who finds Blair's rapier at the end of the WC movie.

Back