Happy 13th Birthday, CIC! (August 11, 2011)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Welcome to the Wing Commander Combat Information Center's 13th annual birthday party! Please join the fun on IRC, where we're having Wing Commander chat, trivia and giveaways! It's the social event of the season.

Wing Commander fans have a lot to be thankful for this year, from the release of Privateer on GOG (with more to come!) to the impending launch of the Wing Commander Saga fan mod.

For the first time ever, Chris, ace and I are celebrating this milestone in Wing Commander's birthplace, sunny Austin, Texas. You'll learn a little more about what we're doing below--and in coming months.

Every year I panic that this is the year we're not going to have enough to reveal for the community... but for the first time ever I'm not stressed at all. We have a truly huge slate of "presents" put together to celebrate Wing Commander's history and community. In the record number of updates below, you'll find high resolution graphics, mysterious sound files, updates on fan efforts and more.

Our big present this year is the release of the long-awaited tenth Wing Commander novel, Pilgrim Truth. Thanks to the diligence of Peter Telep and the willingness of Electronic Arts to work with us, the never-before-seen novel is now available online. And it is GREAT!

Scroll down and enjoy the updates--we'll see you in #WingNut!

--
Original update published on August 11, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy birthday guys, might be the most incredible list of updates I've seen on this site from 1 day. Going to be busy looking through this :)

Happy birthday to the best fansite on the net. Another awesome August 10, I can't wait for next year!

Next year will be great. But I don't know that we'll ever top this year!

I get the feeling that the #WingNut party was pretty quiet and subdued this year... but I think that's because we were all busy going through the mammoth load of birthday updates. Thanks so much for everyone's efforts - even now, I'm still going through them all.

Happy birthday! I'm pretty sad I couldn't join this year but ever since I moved in july, my Wi-Fi connection is very unstable and I can only go on the internet at work in a reasonable way (like now). I hope to find a solution soon, maybe a repeater.

Anyway, very cool updates as always (the novel being certainly the most awesome but I don't want to download it here at work). And what I wanted to say since I saw it the first time: the WC vx History updates are very very cool.

Keep up the good work and I hope I can join the CIC rather sooner than later again.

Good to see you again, Mekt. I think most people kept themselves entertained with WCP MP and reading the updates.

Happy Birthday CIC!
Love what you've done with the place... barely over 500 post and I got myself an avatar = awsomeness

This year was quieter than normal also because it fell in the middle of the week. The next two years happen on the weekend (Friday and Saturday) so hopefully we can get maybe 60-70 wingnuts on line!

And yeah Wedge, once the updates went up....#wingnut died down more than I've ever seen it for over an hour! We didn't even start trivia back up because it seems everyone was so engrossed with all the updates.

I know we say this every year, but #wingnut always has a few people in there chatting away about WC or something else. I know in the coming year there will be a lot of WCPedia talk. We've got a lot of work to do to get to 4,800 articles!

Thanks everyone who came to the party and to those who couldn't make it. Wingnuts are what make this place so great!

I didn't know where to put this complaint, so i'll just post it in the uppermost news:
YOU OWE ME A NEW PAIR OF PANTS!

This year was quieter than normal also because it fell in the middle of the week. The next two years happen on the weekend (Friday and Saturday) so hopefully we can get maybe 60-70 wingnuts on line!

I was actually very impressed at the turnout. We were over 50 for hours during the main part of the party, but lots of people were coming and going, so the number of people who stopped by was way higher than that. The next couple birthdays should have exceptionally strong turnouts though!

Happy birthday, guys! An impressive array of updates indeed... it took me more than an hour just to give tham a cursory look. I don't know when I'll have time to actually go through them in detail.

Oh, and I *almost* managed to show up to the party. I arrived at my hotel right about the time you guys would have been starting, checked in to my room, plugged in my laptop... and discovered the hotel's wi-fi was on the fritz. Darn...

Oh, and I *almost* managed to show up to the party. I arrived at my hotel right about the time you guys would have been starting, checked in to my room, plugged in my laptop... and discovered the hotel's wi-fi was on the fritz. Darn...

Hotel wifi is universally *terrible*! Internet completely went out in the tower we were staying at for several days before and after the party. We managed to regroup in the hotel bar (next to the front desk/lobby, which still had wifi).

...it took me more than an hour just to give tham a cursory look. I don't know when I'll have time to actually go through them in detail.
I'm still going through all them. Haven't even tried the new OpenGL patch yet, but I think that will be the last update I play with.

Hotel wifi is universally *terrible*!
I don't travel much, but the one time I made use of free Internet at a hotel was three years ago. It really did work rather nicely, and this was still in Australia. Must have been lucky.

In the end our lack of wifi was fortuitous; the hotel bar ended up being an awesome place to host the CIC birthday (the people there were really kind--had no problem with us setting up computers in the corner for a few hours... and they made a mean grilled cheese.)

I don't travel much, but the one time I made use of free Internet at a hotel was three years ago. It really did work rather nicely, and this was still in Australia. Must have been lucky.

I stayed at a number of hotels during my cross country drive and I was really surprised at the variation in tech, even in the same chain. The big tell was almost always the TV--if a room had an LCD TV instead of an old tube, connectivity was pretty good. I did 3Gize my iPad for the trip, which kept me online pretty consistently regardless of the hotel. That's the way of the future, I guess.

Back