happily bleary eyed in the morning

Has this ever happened to you?

You struggle for a long time to find a way to get an older, wonky game to work (using all the tricks on DOSBox or another emulator) and you finally get it to work months or even years later....and suddenly you get it to work?

I just did that last night with LucasArts' Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe (on CD with expansion sets )...and lost the next 6 hours to campaign play. I looked up at half past midnight and thought: "Well, at least there are no early meetings on friday!!" :D:eek:

Yeah, the flight dynamics are kinda funky...to be fair, that's compared to more modern flight sims! One cool thing was having a semi-strategic campaign game...I was so thrilled when I got the lucasarts splash screen and it started up!!! :)

Yeah, the flight dynamics are kinda funky...to be fair, that's compared to more modern flight sims! One cool thing was having a semi-strategic campaign game...I was so thrilled when I got the lucasarts splash screen and it started up!!! :)

Felt this way in '06 when I discovered the CIC and finally got my old WC games running again. First game I tried was Armada, and hearing that opening chord was almost as exciting as seeing it for the first time!

At least your safe in friendly territory for the weekends... :p

Has this ever happened to you?

You struggle for a long time to find a way to get an older, wonky game to work (using all the tricks on DOSBox or another emulator) and you finally get it to work months or even years later....and suddenly you get it to work?

I've had the exact opposite happen to me. I had "I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream" (plus a few other games that elude me at this time) working fine with DOSBox just last year. When I recently attempted to play it again it just plain refused to load - which is a pain in the ass cos I haven't finished it as of yet. It's a shame too cos that game was oh so good....

That happens to me, for some reason, with more modern games... The on-CD version of a game works fine, but when I "patch" it to the latest level, it suddenly will NOT start up, period, at all... *sigh*

Felt this way in '06 when I discovered the CIC and finally got my old WC games running again. First game I tried was Armada, and hearing that opening chord was almost as exciting as seeing it for the first time!

I know that exact feeling as well. Particularly for Privateer and Armada, there was a long stretch of time when people had to have a 486 on standby in order to play their old WC games. For me that was when I was going to college and working full time, so I didn't get to do this very much. As DOSBox started rolling out and making Wing Commander easy to run, there were a few games that I played again after long long breaks. Hearing that initial music again was wonderful.

Back