Halo video scenes

Dragon1

Rear Admiral
Great game, but does anyone else notice that the cut scenes are really glitchy and choppy. What happened? One would think with the hype and anticipation of this sequel that more of the bugs would have been dealt with in testing and development.

Perhaps I have a bad disc. The detail effects seem really jagged. Also, the lighting and shading seems to be off time with the rest of the video.

I've noticed that somewhat too on my game. One particular case is when the admiral or whoever is talking to the Master Chief on the station at the beginning. First you see him without his medals and ribbons, then all of a sudden they appear.

I've also noticed it a few other times, it seemed like objects were drawn in less detail first, or some detail was left out, and then it was filled in a few seconds later.

This is exactly what I mean. Could this be a bad series of disks, or did the game engineers foul up?

I've noticed little things like this, what I believe it to be is that during the cutscenes the game engine kicks in all the special effects at full force that they can't run while the player is in control due to the taxing on the system (i.e quality bump maps, high quality textures, advanced lighting etc.) Whenever this trigger is flipped is sometimes off timed so that you are able to actually see it kick in (the example given above was with the admiral's medals and so forth suddenly kicking in). Still, for an "in game" cut scene sequence...Halo's is pretty polished.

Yeah I get these problems too. Also armor textures go in and out depending on how close you are to a fallen guy. I read somewhere that it's a memory issue w/Xboxes.

ck9791 said:
I've noticed that somewhat too on my game. One particular case is when the admiral or whoever is talking to the Master Chief on the station at the beginning. First you see him without his medals and ribbons, then all of a sudden they appear.

That's called texture pop-on. It occurs to varying degrees in all games. It might be slightly more prevalent on one xbox than another due to minor differences in hardware, but it's not a defect with the discs.

Thanks for the great answers guys.
Hopefully, Microsoft will provide some sort of patch update that can be downloaded from XBOX Live.

I've read that newer X-Box's DVD rom drives have problems reading parts of Halo 2 but that it runs with older ones fine.

i've noticed some textures loading a bit after when the should have, but besides that, the cinematics run fine.

What complaints do any of you have towards Halo? It bothers me in the single player game how there's hardly any human weapons around (which are my favorite kind). So you'll get that cool machine gun with the scope and hardly ever find bullets for it.

I've also heard a lot of complaints about how they discontinued the pistol with the scope. I also thought that was a great gun.

As for the multiplayer aspect of the game, I don't stand a chance against those who have still been playing it non stop since it came out. "How to lose a guy in 10 days...." The nerve of that guy. That's even something I would've said if I thought of it first.

Funny to see that there are several Halo threads running around a WC forum.
I've had some trouble with my first copy of the disc, so I had it replaced. Seem to work well so far.

Shipgate said:
As for the multiplayer aspect of the game, I don't stand a chance against those who have still been playing it non stop since it came out. "How to lose a guy in 10 days...." The nerve of that guy. That's even something I would've said if I thought of it first.

Well, play the ranked games. If you're just beginning, you won't face anyone ranked higher than 5 or 6. The nonstop players are ranked 8-12 at this point, so you won't encounter them.

Spien said:
I've read that newer X-Box's DVD rom drives have problems reading parts of Halo 2 but that it runs with older ones fine.

Actually the other way around. The newer dvd drives by Philips and Samsung should have no problems. The older XBox dvd drives by Thomson may occasionally have some problems.

TheFraix said:
Funny to see that there are several Halo threads running around a WC forum.
I've had some trouble with my first copy of the disc, so I had it replaced. Seem to work well so far.

Well, over two million people picked up the game on the first day it was released. I think you'll find threads about it at any active forum with a science fiction or gaming related theme.

ChrisReid said:
Actually the other way around. The newer dvd drives by Philips and Samsung should have no problems. The older XBox dvd drives by Thomson may occasionally have some problems.

The older boxes definately tend to more readily do what you guys were talking about above. There are several boxes floating around here and some are ones bought right when xbox came out and some are less than a year old and you can see some differences in playback during scenes and not only in halo 2.

Back