Halo News!

The trend towards metal collectors boxes is really neat. Doom 3 and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory on the original XBox also had them, and Gears of War on the 360 this week will too. Perfect Dark and Oblivion were another two I think. I'm not sure if Rainbow Six Vegas will.. I don't think the Splinter Cell Double Agent collector box was metal.

Final Fantasy XII is doing this as well. Although I can't say I'm too excited about the game. The main male protagonists seem to grow more and more effeminate with every game.

The whole game is a huge waste of money if you're not a fan of the series. But if you are, and a bunch of million people are, then it's a great deal. The base game price is $60, and it's $70 for a version with a bonus disc. The $100 set comes with two more discs full of bonus material, plus the disc holder and helmet collectible. That's a really good deal compared to the price of the standalone game. Truly special editions with neat stuff like that are very rare here, so seeing them go ahead with something like that is great.

I am a huge fan of the series, but I'm not going spend an extra $40+tax on some plastic. Unless there is something truly groundbreaking on those bonus discs, I'll settle for the basic or less special edition.

d3r3k said:
I am a huge fan of the series, but I'm not going spend an extra $40+tax on some plastic. Unless there is something truly groundbreaking on those bonus discs, I'll settle for the basic or less special edition.

That's what most people will end up doing.. but you really have to question what type of "huge fan" someone is when they refer to something like that as "some plastic." We're part of a fanatical community here, so we should all understand the clear difference between someone who enjoys playing a game versus someone who's really a "huge fan" of the series. You should understand that if the next Wing Commander game ships inside a Confed helmet for a mere $100, nobody here would consider you a "huge fan" if you called it a hunk of plastic.

That's what most people will end up doing.. but you really have to question what type of "huge fan" someone is when they refer to something like that as "some plastic." We're part of a fanatical community here, so we should all understand the clear difference between someone who enjoys playing a game versus someone who's really a "huge fan" of the series. You should understand that if the next Wing Commander game ships inside a Confed helmet for a mere $100, nobody here would consider you a "huge fan" if you called it a hunk of plastic.

Being a huge fan doesn't mean I have to buy everything little thing in a given series. For me, it's mostly a financial decision. As far as I can tell (I haven't heard anything about the content of bonus discs), that extra money will not enhance my gameplay experience in any way.

Oh, and I probably wouldn't buy the special edition of the next Wing Commander game if it was $100 either.

Being a huge fan doesn't mean I have to buy everything little thing in a given series.

Read what I wrote.

For me, it's mostly a financial decision. As far as I can tell (I haven't heard anything about the content of bonus discs), that extra money will not enhance my gameplay experience in any way.

It will not, and it should not have to. That's not the point. As everyone has said, this set is obviously not for you. Going off on some asinine digression about it in front of everyone who thinks it's awesome is a pretty awful internetism.

Oh, and I probably wouldn't buy the special edition of the next Wing Commander game if it was $100 either.

Then you're not a huge Wing Commander fan either.

I'll shell out 100 for the next Wing Commander if it comes with a helmet AND flightsuit. ;)

Then you're not a huge Wing Commander fan either.

Don't tell me what I am and what I am not. Not buying some fancy special edition does not disqualify me from being a huge fan of anything. Did you know that I don't own the Wing Commander movie? Please don't yell at me.

I'll shell out 100 for the next Wing Commander if it comes with a helmet AND flightsuit. ;)

Even if it was just a helmet that came with it I'd pay that, but throwing in a bonus disk with behind the scenes stuff, for example, pretty much would guaratee me purchasing it. My biggest regrets Wing Commander-wise are not having bought various items when I came across them in my youth in a store (novels... KS, etc.) Problem was that I didn't realize I wanted them that much back then and now I have to ebay all the stuff I don't have and didn't get.

Don't tell me what I am and what I am not.

I can't imagine anyone being better qualified to argue who is and who is not a big Wing Commander fan than Chris.

Please don't yell at me.

Being a dick and then politely asking people not to reply in kind is certainly a new tactic.

Don't tell me what I am and what I am not. Not buying some fancy special edition does not disqualify me from being a huge fan of anything. Did you know that I don't own the Wing Commander movie? Please don't yell at me.

I won't yell at you, but I will give you a vacation for stupidly derailing the thread.

Dude, how in the world a Wing Commander game with a miniature helmet replica would not improve the gameplay experience? It'd certainly be well worth 100 bucks.

If I could play the game while wearing the helmet, they would not only have my hundred dollars, but also however much it'd take to overnight it to my house. I'd be tempted to drive around town in it.

Haha imagine a rash of "Master Chief Thiefs" and "Space Pilot Bandits" popping up in the news as criminals look for new disguises...."he really was a very nice boy, loved his video games..."

I just finished reading GoO and must say it was a satisifying read while also doing a good job of creating more questions than it answered. It is nice to see what happens to some very important characters in the Haloverse.

Well happy 5th birthday Halo: Combat Evolved! and Happy Halo Day everyone!

Bungie has made it pretty special by announcing a whole bunch of exciting news...

New maps, public beta, this is great...first EA Replay now this! I'm having the best week ever!

I have Halo somewhere around, maybe I should check it out after all... At least, being an relatively old game, it should run smoothly.

Back