Halcyon Sun

Thrakkath

Rear Admiral
This my first post, I have been a lurker for a couple of years and am fascinated by the work you guys put in to keep the wing commander universe alive. I am a big fan of story driven games like crusader and wing commander. I see loads of space-sims mentioned on this site, but a game I never see mentioned is 'Halcyon Sun'.

Halcyon Sun is a story driven space-sim which is quite derivative of wing commander. It was downloadable a while back in episodes for free at freeloader.com. It reminds me a lot of wc2 back in the day and I would say it is far more entertaining than freespace, starlancer or any of the space sims that followed WC, even though the graphics and effects are pretty basic by todays standards.

It can be downloaded for £7.95 (or a 4 day free trial) at yahoo game downloads. If anyone else enjoyed this game (or thinks the game is a steaming pile of dog poo). I would be interested tor hear their views.

Its certainly no Wing Commander or even a Starlancer or Tachyon, but I quite enjoyed HS. Its a nice little spacesim, especially considering the price. Real shame the multi player part was never released.

Its certainly no Wing Commander or even a Starlancer or Tachyon, but I quite enjoyed HS. Its a nice little spacesim, especially considering the price. Real shame the multi player part was never released.
Oh and BTW: I saw it in a local store as well! SO there are also boxed versions of HS by now

cff said:
Oh and BTW: I saw it in a local store as well! SO there are also boxed versions of HS by now

They are being sold for 1 euro in Germany right now :)

I guess the post is a little off topic apologies for that, I wasn't saying that Halcyon Sun is as good as WC, but what I am saying is I like space sims or games generally with an entertaining character driven storyline and I wish more games like that were being developed.

I'm tired of these freespace-style games where your some nobody soldier with no personality. I think the storyline is just as important as the game engine itself. It gives some meaning to all the hours of button bashing.

I would prefer the next WC (excluding Standoff and WC Saga which both look absolutely fantastic) to sacrifice fantastic graphics for a good storyline rather than vice-versa.

Also new games like freelancer (A good game, but too easy and lacking replayability) tend not to reach their full potential beacause so much money is spent on fantastic sound and graphics while gameplay is neglected.

Tolwyn said:
They are being sold for 1 euro in Germany right now :)

Boxed copies of HS? Damn - for that price I'd like to buy it. Too bad ist >20 Euro here.

I think they should focus much more on the flyving itself, wouldent it be cool to have to power up everthing on the thud like you have to do in a micro flight sim?

Not really.
This should prove it:

Confed pilot: Come get some kitties!
Kilrathi commander: Show no mercy!
Confed pilot: Damn i forgot to power up the weapon systems...
Confed pilot: AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
Kilrathi pilot: A proper fate for a coward.

Reminds me of playing Starfeet Academy years ago and forgetting about alert status.

Crew: "Photon torpedoes are not available captain" "The hull has been breached!"

Me: "Son of a...!!!"

Thanks for the offer, but including shipping I wouldn't really save much I fear.

cff said:
Thanks for the offer, but including shipping I wouldn't really save much I fear.

you would end up with 10 Euro, so much is true.

Striker: the game was freely distributed over internet for some time. I even have the install data. Sadly, the game in the i-net version is by no means XP compatible.

Striker: I don't know how to attach images in this forum and I'm not sure if its allowed for newbies like me, but it might be worth setting up a dual boot with win2k if it wont work with XP.

The game is quite long and about the same difficulty level as say WC1,WC2 a reasonable challenge and the story has plenty of twists and turns. For me the cutscenes maketh the game and this game has plenty of these.

Decent space sims are thin on the ground these days so if your wc collection is complete (mine is I got WC4 dual sided DVD on e-bay a few days ago) I would recommend giving it a try.

Tolwyn: Whats the problem with XP? No luck with compatibility modes? Boxed version works OTOH?

Thrakkath: As a general rule: if something doesn't work in XP, windows 2000 IS NOT an option (some rare exceptions exist). They are basically the same core system. Rather you will have to fall back to 95/98/ME.

Back