Guided Missiles in 0.15

Mekt-Hakkikt

Mpanty's bane
After Ironduke's message, I thought it would be nice to discuss the matter here.

So, I am in favour of the rule change (guided missiles hitting their target automatically when in range, no evasive action and no point defense is taken and no chaff pod is released.

For some randomness, maybe keep the natural miss rule.

[On a sidenote, any news on how Flak will be handled in the next versione? That it has to be weakened is overall accepted now, isn't it?]

Flak in v0.15

[On a sidenote, any news on how Flak will be handled in the next versione? That it has to be weakened is overall accepted now, isn't it?]
Stacked flak fire will only increase the odds of a target being hit instead of multiplying the damage a flak cannon inflicts. And hitting with flak will include a general +2 penalty to the TR. Modifying the TR with range could make sense, but I think it's getting too complicated in a board game to figure out who placed which flak on what hex and calculate the range accordingly.

I came up with another idea, though: What about deviation? Let's say you want to place a flak marker on a given hex. Instead of just placing it there, you roll 2d6, factoring in the gunner's skill. Results between 0 and 11 will hit within the megahex (you could start with 0-1 for the hex in the top right of the targeted hex, then continue clockwise with 2-3, 4-5 etc.), while a result of 12 or better will hit directly. I hope you understand what I mean, otherwise I'll make up a screenshot. ;)
(This could either replace the +2 penalty or go alongside with it.)

Since guided missiles will automatically hit their targets now, shouldn't we create a "Dodge Missile" special manuever? (it'll be damn hard to suceed, but at least you had a chance...)

About flak: I think i'll need the screenshot... :rolleyes:

Instead of just placing it there, you roll 2d6, factoring in the gunner's skill. Results between 0 and 11 will hit within the megahex (you could start with 0-1 for the hex in the top right of the targeted hex, then continue clockwise with 2-3, 4-5 etc.), while a result of 12 or better will hit directly. I hope you understand what I mean, otherwise I'll make up a screenshot. ;)
(This could either replace the +2 penalty or go alongside with it.)

If you'd do it this way, the flak should be made so it hits everything in the hex where it lands, because otherwise you would have to roll both for the deviation AND the TR, making it IMHO nearly impossible for it to hit where intended

@Guilherme: The "dodge missile" maneuver you proposed would then be almost the same rule mechanic as the Target Roll as it was before. Another idea would be to leave the rules as they are, but to greatly increase the missiles' Guidance rating.

@Humungus: I'm not a big fan of "can't control where it'll end up, but will automatically hit everything in there." Maybe flak deviation could occur whenever a player rolls a natural miss (or give it a Target Roll of 5+, modified by skill). So you'd have to roll once for every flak cannon to see if it ends up in the right hex and then roll against the TRs of every vessel in that hex as usual.

(I'm sorry I don't comment more regularly at the moment, but rest assured I'm always reading what you come up with!)

On deviation:

I think the idea isn't bad but IMHO it should neither be certain (only on a roll of "12" do you hit the intended hex) nor almost never (only on a natural miss). Maybe make it 50:50.

Together with the general +2 penalty, that should make Flak a force to be reckoned with (due to its high damage, range and 360° fire arc) without being too strong (higher chance of missing intended target and thanks to deviation a higher chance of hitting friendlies).

I am also strongly in favour of reducing the time a Flak marker remains on the map.

I think the idea isn't bad but IMHO it should neither be certain (only on a roll of "12" do you hit the intended hex) nor almost never (only on a natural miss). Maybe make it 50:50.
So that would be, say, a TR of 5+ for a flak cannon to hit its destination hex, modified by skill and range.

I am also strongly in favour of reducing the time a Flak marker remains on the map.
Not gonna happen. Well, okay, never say never - but apart from providing barrage fire, flak is also meant to hamper enemy movement. That's why I'd like it to stay until after the next movement phase...

So that would be, say, a TR of 5+ for a flak cannon to hit its destination hex, modified by skill and range.

For instance. Though I wouldn't even feel it necessary to implement the range and skill, make it a flat 5+ (or 6+), though your version is more realistic of course.

Not gonna happen. Well, okay, never say never - but apart from providing barrage fire, flak is also meant to hamper enemy movement. That's why I'd like it to stay until after the next movement phase...

Ok, I see your point. Though didn't you consider yourself reducing the flak's time on the board in one of your emails because it held the possibility of being hit three times in one turn?

Though didn't you consider yourself reducing the flak's time on the board in one of your emails because it held the possibility of being hit three times in one turn?
Sort of. Flak should only hit once, and I'd favor this to happen during Movement Phase. However, altering this rule would also mean that any evasive maneuver (occuring in End Phase) involving a flak hex would go unpunished. Hm...

Back