Group Reading: Freedom Flight

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
GOOD MORNING, GHORAH KHAR!

Welcome to the first-ever Wing Commander Combat Information Center Wing Commander novel read-along (try saying that three times fast)! We will be conducting a ‘group read’ of the entire Wing Commander series of books, starting with Freedom Flight. Anyone is welcome to join in, and there’s no requirement that you all read every book. Join in when you can and have fun!

I will provide an introduction, a reading assignment and some materials each week and will then join in the discussion myself. We’re going to start very slow in order to get the hang of the process—with a single chapter or two. As we get into the swing of things, we can choose to do longer portions of the books depending on how we feel it’s going.

This isn’t just fun and games, though! We’re also hoping to use the experience to ‘finish’ the portions of the Wingkipedia which relate to the novels as we move along.

GENERAL QUESTIONS

• Find any references to time. When does this chapter take place? What other events are mentioned? Even without a chapter heading specifying the date, we can construct a timeline using internal references to the amount of time that passes.
• Where does the chapter take place and what does the text tell us about a particular ‘set’? For example, the first chapter of Freedom Flight includes a conversation between Ralgha and Kirha as they travel from the bridge to the flight deck of a Fralthi. What do we learn about the layout of the cruiser, as a result?
• Can you find any references to real historical events? Is the story an allusion to something that actually happened in military history (this is common in Dr. Forstchen’s books)?
• Are there any references to the events of Wing Commander games? Are there any ‘in jokes’, references to Origin or Baen?
• Did you enjoy this chapter? Why or why not? Be honest!
• When did you first read this book? Why was it important to you? Lets learn your ‘personal history’ in addition to that of the Wing Commander universe!
• Can you find any portions of the book which are setting up for future stories, either in game or book form?

THINK ABOUT…

Think about what you have read from three different perspectives:

• As a stand-alone story. Does the book work on its own, or does it require a greater knowledge of the Wing Commander universe? Is it a good story, taken on its own merits, or just a visit to a familiar world?
• Its connection to previously published Wing Commander material. Try to imagine you are reading the book when it first came out and that you know only the games and stories which have been written to date. How is the story affecting the direction of the franchise? How is it similar to or different from what has come before?
• Its connection to the entire Wing Commander canon. What does this material introduce to the Wing Commander universe? Can you think of an impact it has on later stories, or of later material that references it in some way? Does it introduce or set the stage for ‘continuity errors’? Does it answer any outstanding questions?

BOOK INTRODUCTION

Freedom Flight is the first Wing Commander novel. It is often overlooked, as it has a distinctly different tone and connection to the Wing Commander games. In fact, it is probably more like a real Wing Commander game than any other book, since it is written by the same woman and in the same style as Wing Commander II itself.

It is also often written off as a novelization of Secret Missions 2. The two stories overlap, but I would argue this is a narrative device rather than the whole of the book. Freedom Flight ends up telling a very different story, which goes well beyond the bounds of Crusade.

It’s also an enormously important look at Kilrathi culture and general life in the Wing Commander universe. While few of you consider Freedom Flight your favorite, it probably impacted later stories in ways you don’t yet appreciate.

The initial ‘package’ of three Wing Commander novels was arranged by Bill Fawcett, a science fiction author and editor. Bigger names (like Mercedes Lackey) were to write the outlines or introductory stories with others writing the meat of the books. The result is a “famous” name on the cover.

Freedom Flight came out roughly a year after Wing Commander II (not the same time as Secret Missions 2, as many believe), dead in the middle of the drought that ran from Special Operations 2 to Academy/Privateer in 1992.

Ellen Guon was a former Origin writer who was responsible for a great deal of work on Secret Missions 2 and Wing Commander II—hence the very similar tones. By the time Freedom Flight was published she had left OSI and already co-authored two other fantasy books with Mercedes Lackey.

Mercedes Lackey was (and is) an established fantasy author. Although her fanbase doesn’t usually overlap with Wing Commander, she remains the ‘biggest name’ ever printed on a Wing Commander book.

The cover is by Paul Alexander, a prolific science fiction artist. Mr. Alexander would go on to paint several Wing Commander covers. He is responsible for many familiar covers, including many of David Drake’s Hammer’s Slammer’s books and most of Frank Herbert’s non-Dune novels. A list is available online here: http://www.paperbackfantasies.jjelmquist.com/alexander_cover_art.htm

The art itself is supposed to mimic the Wing Commander I box, but with different ships. Since Freedom Flight doesn’t specifically introduce any new ship classes, it’s unclear exactly what is being shown. Try and pick a scene to go with the cover as we go along! The ‘Dralthi replacement’ seen here is done in Mr. Alexander’s distinct spaceship style. Check out his unauthorized treatment of a Star Trek ship from Best of Trek: http://www.paperbackfantasies.jjelmquist.com/images/alexander/Trek06.JPG

Freedom Flight was heavily promoted by Origin in 1992, with inserts advertising it alongside Wing Commander games and manuals included in several releases. Most notably, Wing Commander II itself included an excerpt from the book. You can view an electronic copy online here: http://blacklance.org/WC2/ The excerpt includes portions of Chapter One and Chapter Two of the book.

Initially, a direct sequel to Freedom Flight was planned as the third book in the package. A 1992 Point of Origin mentions that it was to have been written by Ellen Guon and Jerry Pournelle and would tell the story of the Tiger’s Claw’s destruction. An early online FAQ claims it would have continued Hunter’s story. Mercedes Lackey’s newsgroup claimed at the time that she was co-authoring a sequel called ‘Freedom Run’. We contacted Ellen Guon about this project, who said it was cancelled because of a contract dispute. Jerry Pournelle had no knowledge of the book.

Freedom Flight has been published in two languages: English and German. If you have a German copy, let us know what’s different! It is the only book not translated into Czechoslovakian. There were at least two English printings by Baen.

It’s also the only book known to have any special merchandise. Baen solicited Freedom Flight by giving out posters of the book cover.

ASSIGNMENT FOR WEEK ONE: Freedom Flight, Chapter 1 (pp.1-22)

DISCUSSION POINTS

• Are there any changes between the excerpt included in Wing Commander II and the finished book?
• How do we look at this chapter in the light of Hobbes’ betrayal in Wing Commander III? Is the interrogation a blatant continuity error or is it something much more intentional?
• Where’s Downtown?

WINGKIPEDIA ASSIGNMENTS

• Write a ‘timeline’ entry for the events of this chapter and for any other events mentioned.
• Create a list of additions to the ‘Kilrathi Culture’ entry necessary because of this chapter.
• Fill out the following characters and terms and be sure to add anything I’ve missed!
• CHARACTERS:
o {burly guards}
o Ralgha nar Hhallas
o Jahkai
o Thrakhath nar Kiranka
o {unconscious Kilra’hra}
o {shopkeepers and carters}
o {group of slaves}
o Hassa
o Esther
o {squad of soldiers}
o Kirha
o {Ordnance Officer}
o {under-officers}
o Drakj’khai nar Ghorah Khar
• TERMS:
o Kilrah
o Hhallas
o Kalrahr
o Imperial Intelligence Headquarters
o Ghorah Khar
o Ras Nik’hra
o Lord
o Kilrathi
o Fralthi
o Emperor of Kilrah
o lerkrath
o kalkrath
o Thrak’hra
o Kilra’hra
o Kalrahr of Imperial Security
o Vega Sector
o Leningrad
o Waterloo
o Sivar
o Throne of Kilrah
o K’Tithrak Mang
o N’Tanya
o Old City
o arakh
o Priestesses of the Warrior-God
o Kilrathi (language)
o Imperial Intelligence
o Temple of Sivar
o Priestess of Sivar
o The Council
o merdha
o Firekka
o Imperial Security
o Heat-Seeking Missiles
o Ordnance Officer
o Pilot Officer
o Navigation Officer
o Under-officers
o Khantahr
o Rakti
o comlink
o Deneb Sector
o hrai
o liege lord
o Jalthi
o Dralthi

RESOURCES

How to do a Close Reading (Harvard University)
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~wricntr/documents/CloseReading.html

Freedom Flight Excerpt
http://blacklance.org/WC2/

Some quick thoughts on two quotes to start us off.

Here’s an early example of Freedom Flight’s tone being problematic: on page 7, in the middle of Ralgha’s inner monologue about suffering through torture he stops to “wonder what a cat is”. It’s cloying, and shows up at exactly the wrong time.

That noted, the chapter is also responsible for one of my bar-none favorite Wing Commander lines. On page 12, Ralgha tells Hassa he should have made her his mate “years ago, before politics and soldiering claimed my life and the Lord Sivar claimed yours.” That wistfulness makes it this great instance of verisimilitude—we’ve all had that relationship. It makes you care about Hassa even though she is never, ever mentioned again.

Sadly, I think we are going to end up seeing a lot more of the former than the latter as we go through the book… but I could always be surprised!

Assignment accepted! Dug out my book a day or two ago. I'll start with the summary a few days from now! looking forward to this 'playthrough'!

Alright, here's a few brief observations from the first page or so. I enjoy how they, in just a few words paint an interesting picture of Kilrathi Culture and it's class system where breeding is apparently quite important (obvious among it's nobility). Page three also seems to indicate that there's a primal instinct in every kilrathi for violence and rage that they need to work to keep in check.

Low castes are looked down on and being a "carrion eater" is also used as a seeming insult suggesting that diet is also affected by status. This is also supported by suggestions that a blunt muzzle, flat head, and blunted teeth suggest that the individual kilrathi isn't a hunter and therefore not noble.

Bloodlines and breeding seem to lend individual Kilrathi recognizable characteristics. Jahkai is mentioned as being recognizable as a commoner - a "Kilra-hra" - by his "mottled and mingled colors" and coarse fur. This is in contrast to Ralgha's fur which is described as sleek and "bright with the colors and sharply distinct patterns" of nobility.

At the outset of Freedom Flight Ralgha, for whatever reason, is suspected of being a traitor. The interogation is being conducted by a Kilrathi named Jahkai - who is accompanied by two imperial guards - in a darkened interogation chamber in the Imperial Intelligence Headquarters on Ghorah Khar. Jahkai is the "Kalrahr of Imperial Security" for the entire Ghorah Khar system. "More important" Kilrathi are also observing the proceedings.

The Imperial Intelligence Headquarters has "carved stone corridors".

Ralgha's status as a Thrak'hra lord means he cannot be subjected to normal interogation methods for which the Kilrathi have two unique words: Kalrath and Lerkrath. Kalrath is Interogation by torture. Lerkath is Interogation by drugs. Neither method can apparently be used on nobility. Only the Emperor can order such methods on a higher ranking Kilrathi. Instead, the intergation - or loyalty test - used on Ralgha appears to be more a battle of wills.

Ralgha is questioned and taunted for over five hours. The interogator is, while attempting to make the subject lose his temper, looking for signs that he is remaining calm and showing no fear, which are seen as an indication of honor. He would have to remain in the "military-submissive posture" for the duration of the interogation since - no matter what his actual rank is - he is considered lowest ranking while undergoing the test. Fur sticking up/out, ears back, and squinting eyes, and even a twitching tail appear to indicate (kind of like in a real cat) that the Kilrathi are being either deceiptful or defensive. "Any angry word or action" is considered proof of treason.

Reference is also made to the Kilrathi date and number system in the third paragraph on page one where it mentions "eight eights".

So that's the first three pages briefly.

WOW! i have been waiting for this...i loved these books, years ago it took me a while to track down all WC novels...except the movie adapations. i still cant find those.
just to let eveyone know, they have always been proudly displayed in my bookcase...i actualy was planning re-reading them..ok i am in...i will be back with details.

I'm going to jump in this weekend. Hopefully I'll have some time in the next few days to read the assignment and get some thoughts down!

The first thing that jumps out at me is that Ralgha's were filled with a green haze that is attributed to the "mist of rage." Typically green is the color associated with envy in human society not rage.

Some interesting cultural tidbits I pulled out:

- body language plays a similar role for the Kilrathi as it does Humans

- in a "test of loyalties" any sign of weakness is instant proof of treason

- the Kilrathi conceptualization of personal honor has it reinforcing an individual in times of great duress - The harder Ralgha is pushed the harder his "honor" should fight to maintain itself - he articulates it as being "impervious to pain or fear. No torture would break him, no threats would touch his spirit."

- familial lineage is of utmost importance to Kilrathi - bloodlines are everything

- despite long period of more organized civilization Kilrathi still exhibit strong homicidal tendencies both internally and externally focused - Ralgha is quite clear that the interogaters job is to provoke him to angry and the point of a killing blow the "killing rage that lay close to the surface of every Kilrathi's mind.." (recall that the Kilrathi are only saved from nuclear annihilation because they are introduced to space travel by the Utara (sp?) prior to their discovery of atomics)

- rank carries privileges in Kilrathi society - Ralgha cannot be drugged (lerkrath) or directly tortured (kalkrath) without the Emperor's direct consent - they can only try to provoke him through word to action

I'll try to drop in tomorrow with some more thoughts.

Pages 4 and 5:

Ralgha fought against humans in the Vega Sector Campaign of WC1.

One of his battles against the waterloo-class TCS Leningrad lasted several hours and featured waves of fighters. at one point, Ralgha's ship (presumably the Ras Nik'hra, a Fralthi Class cruiser) has many of it's forward guns disabled. One of the Terran fighters dives on the helpless ship but is destroyed by a wave of Jalthi. In the end, the Leningrad was destroyed with 500+ crew onboard.​
Sivar is named as a Kilrathi War god.

Thrakhath - Crown Prince and Heir to the throne of Kilrah - is tall and has red-brown fur, wears a red cloak, and his promiscuity is noticable by his distracting "spicy musk" scent.

Ralgha's final interogation with Thrakhath present lasts at least five hours before Thrakhath puts an end to it... Ralgha tells the Priestess that he had been questioned for days: "Day and Night" along with sleep deprivation.

It is honorable to a Kilrathi to die in battle. Being executed is a coward or prisoner's death. All is in the service of the Glory of the empire and emperor. Thrakhath goes further and mentions that a warrior's actions also bring honor to his Hrai. Hrai is a Kilrathi word that seems to encompase the idea of family. The actual definition isn't stated outright but Ralgha talk about siblings being part of his Hrai and the connection is made when he thinks to himself about his Hrai being all dead for the last five years and then that he has no family now. Ralgha found honor and joy in killing Terran's in combat, but he finds that prospect empty without a family to pass the stories and honor along to.

The idea of democracy is completely foreign to the Kilrathi. Ralgha thinks the idea of the people picking their leader is one of the most absurd things he's ever heard of.

Ralgha mentions that there's a kilrathi strike force amasing in the N'Tanya system "departing for the Terran frontier". He says the Ras Nik'hra is leaving to join them "tonight".

Kilrathi bowing their head and curling their tails down is a gesture of respect.

"Kilra'hra Scum" used as an insult... A Kilra-hra (commoner) is seen on Ghorah Khar intoxicated on "arakh leaves".

Birha Trees are found on Ghorah Khar. It's the time of year when they are blossoming with large red flowers that have a sweet scent.

The Imperial Intelligence Headquarters on Ghorah Khar are in the "Old City" (Capitalized as if it is the actual name of the City). The city has stone buildings and grey paved streets. It is surrounded by Snow capped mountains. A local temple to Sivar is and ampitheater built into the side of a mountain. Ghorah Khar reminds Ralgha of his home planet Hhallas. Ralgha's Childhood was spent on Hhallas and then he spent several years in Officer training on Kilrah.

The Kilrathi use slave labor. Human slaves are also seemingly employed in all sorts of areas of Kilrathi life even on Ghorah Khar. Lady Hassa is a Priestess of Sivar, and has at least one human female named Esther in her employ as a slave. The Priestess wears a ceremonial cloak and her slaves are dressed plainly with at "sigil of Sivar" on their clothing (perhaps one of the symbols seen in the temple in the WC: Prophecy intro).

Eight Eights shows up again in the expression "eight eights of pardons , my lord."

The Ghorah Khar rebellion is organized under a Council.

I have no idea of where my FF copy is, at the moment, but I do have one comment.

the "Old City" (Capitalized as if it is the actual name of the City)

Not necessarily. The Loop, the historical center of downtown Chicago, is always capitalized, but isn't considered a separate city.

On to chapter two! I won't lie, I wish we had more discussion going--I'll do my best to try to keep it burning this time around. We're only just getting started, so there's plenty of room to catch up!

ASSIGNMENT FOR WEEK ONE: Freedom Flight, Chapter 2 (pp.23-48)

DISCUSSION POINTS

* Are there any changes between the excerpt included in Wing Commander II and the finished book?

* This chapter immediately seems different because we've "seen" these places before. What impact does that have on the narrative for you? Do the authors address that fact?

* Start weaving this chapter in with specific conversations and missions in Secret Missions 2!

* Who the heck is "Puma"? Why wasn't he in the Super Wing Commander manual?

WINGKIPEDIA ASSIGNMENTS

* Write a ‘timeline’ entry for the events of this chapter and for any other events mentioned.
* Fill out the following characters and terms and be sure to add anything I’ve missed!

CHARACTERS:
* Ian "Hunter" St. John
* Peter "Puma" Youngblood
* Tanaka "Spirit" Mariko
* Michael "Iceman" Casey
* K'Kai
* Jimmy
* {Jimmy's friend}
* {female bridge officer}
* {Shuttlecraft Pilot}
* {Firekkan customs officer}
* {loading crewman}
* {grooming Firekkans/crowd at bar}
* {K'kai's crew}
* {fire temple Firekkans}
* {Firekkan racers}
* {Female MP}

TERMS:
* Terran Confederation
* TCS Tiger's Claw
* Peter Halcyon
* Firekka
* Firekkan {Culture}
* TCS Austin
* Epsilon Station
* Philip
* Old Man
* Firekkan Fire-Temples
* Diplomatic Corps
* comlink
* Vega Campaign
* Operation Thor's Hammer
* Todd Marshall
* Confederation Navy
* Credits
* Red Flower
* Firekka's Finest
* Jalthi
* kika
* kika'li
* Teehyn Ree
* flock-leader
* Rikik
* Larrhi
* Visitor's Nest
* Military Police, Shore Patrol

A Few Comments...
* There are some continuity problems with Spirit's fiancee. In Super Wing Commander his name is Hiro instead of Philip and outside of this chapter's reference to stencils on his fighter he's with the Confederation's Medical services.
* Hunter sure enjoys some generic Australian tourist events! I remember someone being furious, years ago, that his grandmother owned a ranch in the 27th century.
* It took me YEARS of re-reading this chapter to figure out that the Firekkan religiou involves fire because they're FIRE-kkans.
* I believe they still play Seven Card Stud on the Concordia--and that we don't actually ever see poker on the Tiger's Claw (or a place to play in the barracks).
* K'Kai was just a voice on a comlink to Hunter when they first met. He should try and free up more expanded memory so he can see her picture.
* Some good hints about finance here, with the poker winnings and the customs duty. Now figure out how ten credits duty on Scotch can also buy a missile in Privateer...
* For something that doesn't matter and isn't ever seen, K'Kai's elite freighter crew that she trained herself sure gets talked up.
* Strange callout to Captain Larrhi, both acknowledging that he exists but also suggesting that he's not on Firekka when he should be showing Blair around.

I won't lie, I wish we had more discussion going--I'll do my best to try to keep it burning this time around. We're only just getting started, so there's plenty of room to catch up!

Yup, this is definitely one of the coolest projects I've seen in a while.

Sadly, the only novel, or Wing Commander product for that matter, I have available at the moment is End Run, but I'll join in for sure when we get there.

Unfortunately I'm in the middle of a complicated moving situation and working 3 jobs, so I can only devote a fraction of the time this project deserves. I will attempt to keep up and at the very least start some of these WCPedia entries.

Sadly, the only novel, or Wing Commander product for that matter, I have available at the moment is End Run, but I'll join in for sure when we get there.

They're only a few dollars on various used book websites, and you have plenty of time to order and still participate in all the book read-alongs.

Just a quick post to say that I am reading along with you, just with a little delay. Like the community replay, it's a great project and a great opportunity for me to read the english versions of the ealier novels. I hope to chime in with some contribution on the weekend.

What's up guys, I probably shouldn't be posting since my copy of Freedom Flight is long gone - It was the first and only WC novel I read. I read it in 6th grade after playing Wing Commander on my SNES.

The biggest impression it made on me as a youngster was with that Firekkan drink that wastes Hunter. I don't even remember it's name but every now and then I try to concoct a recipe for it, sort of an extra-spicy bloody mary. It's interesting because the more foul it gets, the closer it probably is to its fictional scion...Once I made something with kimchi juice in it....probably the closest I got to a foul yet strangely addictive drink...

I hope some of the readers here will give it a shot and share recipes.

So, my thoughts after reading the first two chapters.

I can't remember when or how I first found out about the WC novels which is a shame. But I'm sure I was excited as hell when I got to read them the first time.

Freedom Flight was my favourite of the WC novels and I'm eager to find out if it holds up to my fond memory. After what I read so far, I have to say...no, it's less well written than I remembered. But it still has the two points that made it my favourite: lots of info about the Kilrathi and showing them as something different than barbaric idiots and a more light-hearted tone. I really don't like the "Cool military tone" of the WC novels that followed.

I was very suprised they chose Hunter as the protagonist on the Terran side (same with Bear in the later novels). I never really had a very good image of what a character Hunter was supposed to be, don't know why. The novel helped me understand what role he was supposed to play in the Claw's complement (not so with Bear).

I read the German translation first, it's the frist time I read FF in English. I'm sorry, but I won't be able to read them side by side to compare every difference. But I can tell you that the cover looks the same (I always found that round spaceship was hilariously ridiculous) but does not have the relief print (?you know, with the letters and the ships not being just printed but a bit elevated) of the english version.

The text on the back goes something like this:"They're foolhardy and daring pilots and they fight an adventurous battle. Captain Hunter and his people fly relentlessly missions against the Empire of the Kilrathi. But despite all difficulties, Hunter has an enormous advantage. Lord Ralgha spies for the Terrans. Then he is imprisoned: He's thought a rebel. Hunter and his people have to save their spy..."

Yes, it makes no sense, I don't think the guy who worte ever read the book.

The title of the German translation is "Die Befreier", meaning "The Liberators".

All in all, I have the impression that the translations are very free, sometimes even cutting some lines of text (though I know of this only in Fleet Action).

Also, a bit odd: the translators gave the Kilrathi ships the male gender which I found odd but is also fitting for the Kilrathi, as we learn in False Colors.

Chapter 1:

I love it! The first WC book starts with a pure Kilrathi chapter and I loved WC mostly because of the Kilrathi. Interesting that the Kilrathi, who are often depicted as very hot-blooded, also seem to be trained in being extremely strong of will.

The description of Ghorah Khar (and indirectly of Hhallas) and Kilrah are very interesting. I imagined Ghorah Khar always as something of a medieval town, stone buildings, market place and so on. And Kilrah does seem to have lots of towers and metal. Icy peaks on Ghorah Khar too.
All the information we get about the Kilrathi society, first time we learn something about their females (except what we know from SM2) and that they're a force within the empire. And that not all Kilrathi live as warriors, there is a civil caste. All the interaction aboard the Fralthi between the Kilrathi made them more real, I loved it. Kirha seems really young, a bit whiny even. Still, I like him.

As was already often said here, the first chapter works really well with the idea of Hobbes being a personality overlay. I don't think it was intentional but it's a nice perk.

I never thought about it but yes, it would have been awesome and quite fitting it a small reference to Downtown were to be found here. It has already happened at this point in Ralgha's life. It could have been another incentive for the rebels to approach him for their cause.

Chapter 2:

There was no excerpt of FF in my German WC2 version, I just read it here for the first time. Some words are changed, I don't see much substantial difference except maybe exchanging "relentlessly" with "bleakly" (the ways Ralgha looks at Jakhai). I think bleaky works better, showing that he's detached (or tries to be) from what happens to him, to keep his cool.

As I wrote, I was surprised that Hunter was the hero. It's a very blatant introductory chapter, explaining every character that shows up, not very subtle. But it sets the light tone the book is written. I was also suprised they introduced a new Firekkan pilot character instead of using Larrhi but he's alluded to, so that's fine. I never made the connection to the SM2 dialogue that it is a bit contadicting.

Firekka's finest is found again in Armada and the CCG, IIRC.

I'm sorry, this is all very unorganized but I am in a hurry once again. Looking forward to the next chapters!

ASSIGNMENT FOR WEEK THREE: Freedom Flight, Chapter 3 (pp.49-73)

DISCUSSION POINTS

* It's interesting how the first half of the chapter is describing a Wing Commander I mission, from briefing to landing.

* Anyone want to make a version of this mission we can fly in Wing Commander I? Is that even possible?

* Interesting to see Firekkans at home, however briefly--why don't we have creepy Firekkan-specific WC fans, like Star Trek does for its various races? Is it because, I don't know, they're ridiculous?

* I want that bacon sandwich...

WINGKIPEDIA ASSIGNMENTS

CHARACTERS:
* Ian "Hunter" St. John
* Jimmy Cafrelli
* {Shuttlecraft Pilot}
* {passengers}
* {taller medic}
* {other medic}
* Peter Halcyon
* Tanaka Mariko
* Peter Youngblood
* Zach Colson
* Michael Casey
* Etienne Montclair
* James Taggart
* K'Kai
* [Whiteflower Messenger]
* [K'Kai's father]
* [younger flock members]
* Rikik

TERMS:
* shuttle
* TCS Tiger's Claw
* Automatic Carrier Landing System (ACLS)
* "green goop"
* Medical
* Security
* Jump Point 1
* Jump Point 2
* Firekka System
* Enigma Sector
* Jump Point
* Tactical
* TCS Austin
* Salthi
* Dralthi
* Rapier
* Nav 1
* AutoNav
* Nav 2
* Nav 3
* Raptor
* WhiteFlower
* Flame Winds
* Living Spark
* Larrhi
* flock-dance
* brancher
* Kree'Kai

COMMENTS...
* We may have our first nod to Blair--Colonel Halcyon is cut off just before we find out who's going to be Paladin's wingman.
* There's some contradiction vis a vis Jazz--the idea that he's an inexperienced new pilot (with two kills) doesn't jive with his Super Wing Commander/Wing Commander SegaCD bio.
* Green goop is an awfully odd way to cure a hangover. But I didn't know that in 1992!
* Spirit is flying a Raptor, although she was at the briefing with Hunter (in a Rapier II). Also, it lets loose a volley of "red" weapons!
* The Kilrathi ships aren't identified at all -- just 'heavy cruisers' and fighters.

From the frontpage:
There's some contradiction vis a vis Jazz--the idea that he's an inexperienced new pilot (with two kills) doesn't jive with his Super Wing Commander/Wing Commander SegaCD bio.
Jazz is in that version? -firing up neogenesis-

Back