Great Game! (I think I found a bug?)

Mjr. Whoopass

<FONT color=lightblue><B>I was going to say someth
I just downloaded Standoff and this game is REALLY fun! I can't believe all the talent (I could say genius) that must have went into it.

I'm still in the Prologue section on the TCS Lionheart. When I click "Exit" or quit the game from the simulator, my screen freezes up and Standoff stops responding. I can still move my cursor or press the Windows keyboard button to take me to the desktop (although this is not a smooth transition). I have to press control-alt-delete and the program is listed as 'not responding'. Then I have to do a forced quit.

I'll still put up with this to play the game since it's very fun, but it would be convenient if there was a fix. Also I'm hoping this doesn't do any damage to my computer.

I take it you are running in OpenGL.

I have the same issue. When I launch Standoff in OpenGL the only way I can exit is to force quit it. The problem doesn't exist with D3D.

It shouldn't go any damage as all you are doing is killing an application that is no longer responding. I know this is something we were going to work on for Ep5. You are the only other person that has reported this happening so far I think.

What are your system specs?

Glad you like our game ! When you get to Episode 2 make sure to try out the simulator, send some scores to the online scoreboard ! :)

As for your problem when exiting the game, don't worry. Killing Standoff.exe can't harm your computer. We'd appreciate it if you'd post your system specs so we can find a way to fix it for teh next release. Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this is the specs you're looking for (I'm not a computer guy).. but here's what was on my system properties for my Gateway laptop:

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Manufactured and supported by:
Gateway
Intel(R)Core(TM)2 CPU
T7200 @ 2.00GHz
2.00GHz, 1.99 GB of RAM

(ps. thanks Dundradal for testing WCP disk 3 on the Tech Forums)

Ah, a laptop, just like Dundradal... could you tell me if your video card is an Intel, and it's model ? You can tell by looking in the device magager (right-click "My Computer", select "Manage", then "Device manager" on the left pane).

I think there is something wrong in the OpenGL support of the Intel onboard video cards... or maybe our own GL just doen't know how to handle it...

Hmm. I'm guessing it is something to do with the Intel cards. I'll post my card stats when I get home. I wouldn't be surprised if we have the same one or similar models.

And no problem on the testing Whoop, I've had WCP out and handy for a few weeks now. Finished WCP and SO over Christmas. Also started WC a little bit, ok a lot. I'm at Venice 1 :) Just figure it's a refresher before we all start replaying them :D

Ah, a laptop, just like Dundradal... could you tell me if your video card is an Intel, and it's model ? You can tell by looking in the device magager (right-click "My Computer", select "Manage", then "Device manager" on the left pane).

I think there is something wrong in the OpenGL support of the Intel onboard video cards... or maybe our own GL just doen't know how to handle it...

I went there, nothing says exactly "video card".. there's several things that say Intel and some things that say Texas Instruments, I'm not sure if one of those is what you're looking for?

Hmmm, my OS isn't in English, so I can't tell you what exactly to look for, but it should be the only item under the "Video adapter" or "Display adapter" (or something similar) category of the tree that shows up when you open the device manager.

I went there, nothing says exactly "video card".. there's several things that say Intel and some things that say Texas Instruments, I'm not sure if one of those is what you're looking for?

It's the one labeled Intel. I'm guessing you have a card similar to mine and that's why we are both experiencing the same issue.

Mine is:

Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Driver Version 6.14.10.4342

Date 6/21/2005

Those are the most up-to-date drivers Windows could find as well.

OK. I have (listed twice for some reason.. because of dual core?):
Display adapters
Mobile Intel (R) 945GM Express Chipset Family
Mobile Intel (R) 945GM Express Chipset Family

Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes the letters on my screen get big, then after I do the forced quit, sometimes they are small. By this I mean any letters including when I go on the net and here at wcnews.com. I think my desktop icons change in size too.

Hmm, looks like after you force quit, you get stuck in whatever resolution you were playing at - assuming you were playing in a resolution that's lower than what your desktop is usually set to? Anyway, you can probably change your desktop resolution back after quitting the game so that you don't have to restart the computer or anything.

Hmm that's one I haven't experienced. Although I play at 1024x768 and have my desktop set to the same resolution. As Eder already said do both of your resolutions match?

Hm. Speaking of laptops, I can't get OpenGL mode to work on my laptop at all. Is this more likely to be a software/driver problem, or a hardware limitation? I haven't had a desktop computer for about 6 years now.

Wasn't it mentioned that Ep.5 is crowded enough such that OpenGL mode might be necessary to maintain a good framerate?

Huh. the thought of having to buy a new computer just to be able to play a wing commander game is eerily familiar.

What are your system specs (especially gfx card)?

What's happening when you try to play in OpenGL?

What are your system specs (especially gfx card)?

What's happening when you try to play in OpenGL?

I get a black screen streaked with random-looking shreds of color. Sound seems to work, but that's about it.

System specs:

IBM T41 Thinkpad (approx 4 years old)
Intel 1.59 GHz, 1 GB memory
ATI Mobility Radeon 7500

a little dated, and certainly not optimized for gaming. It's good enough for Prophecy of course, as old as it is, but I understand Ep. 5 is going to be testing the limits of what the Vision engine will allow.

Do you have all the latest drivers and such? Do you have problems with any other openGL games?

Do you have all the latest drivers and such? Do you have problems with any other openGL games?

probably not - and I haven't done so much in the way of other gaming for a while. I've played Homeworld 2 on it, got an error message regarding Direct X support. I looked for newer drivers at the time but there weren't any. Maybe there are newer drivers now, I should have a look. Homeworld 2 would run, but there was a texture limit - past a certain number of ships, it stopped rendering texture mapping. I can't remember offhand if Homeworld 2 used OpenGL.

Here, I think these are the latest drivers for you... if you could try them and let us know if anything changes, that would be ideal.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-41918

We aren't actually dropping DirectX support with episode 5, but we aren't optimizing for DirectX performance anymore either (the performance of DirectX mode scales very poorly)... so in DirectX mode you may or may not get decent framerates depending on your system. Personally I think that if you can run up to Ep 4 without problems, then you should be good to go.

Here, I think these are the latest drivers for you... if you could try them and let us know if anything changes, that would be ideal.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-41918

We aren't actually dropping DirectX support with episode 5, but we aren't optimizing for DirectX performance anymore either (the performance of DirectX mode scales very poorly)... so in DirectX mode you may or may not get decent framerates depending on your system. Personally I think that if you can run up to Ep 4 without problems, then you should be good to go.

That worked - those are some beautiful starfields!

Thanks!

Back