GOG Service Streamlined (April 1, 2012)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Big changes are afoot at Good Old Games, the Polish game downloading service that shocked the Wing Commander community by re-releasing several Wing Commander titles last year. The service has published a clean website refresh and announced an exciting set of streamlining efforts: from this point forward they will maximize profits by breaking down some of what they believed to be self-established limitations. Specifically: GOG will no longer focus on things which are good, things which are old or things which are games. Instead of buying affordable classic games available DRM-free for the first time in a generation, users may now choose to "pre-buy" things like "Trine" and "Machinarium" which at press time appear to be specific kinds of fancy soaps. The site's name will remain the same, but instead of an acronym it is now a concatenation of the expression "Gog damn, what the hell did you morons do to your site?"

[Sadly, this update is not really a joke.]

--
Original update published on April 1, 2012

Last edited by a moderator:
All joking aside, I don't really mind it if they start offering to host indie games. As long as they still continue to focus their efforts towards adapting old games to new os's and/or packaging them with dosbox and some nice extras I find it to be a welcome addition. I do hope they don't refocus their efforts. I'd like to see some of the old Apogee titles come out like Biomenace.

Yeah it's fine. Also, it's great how you can turn on the History Channel in 2012 and see a show that isn't about cupcakes, bikers or ghosts. Oh, wait, you can't.

Usually too much icing, muffins are better!

EDIT: I liked South Park's semi-satire of the History Channel. To bad it was so close to the truth.

All joking aside, I don't really mind it if they start offering to host indie games.

Don't really see why they want to, though. Indies have quite the presence on Steam these day, and an entire Steam-like service who's name eludes me... no idea why anyone would want to go to GoG for them.

Don't really see why they want to, though. Indies have quite the presence on Steam these day, and an entire Steam-like service who's name eludes me... no idea why anyone would want to go to GoG for them.

Pretty sure it's a marketing strategy. Get folks to your site because they can get free indie games. While they're there, they can then see the nice, big catalog of awesome classic games that folks remember from their childhood available for legal downloading (for a price). Makes perfect sense to me.

Buying an indie game on Steam means the indie game has Steam's dirty DRM all over it.

Thus I'll always grab an indie game at GOG over Steam.

Reactions: cff
Between juggling 13 CD's, answering obscure lore questions from long lost manuals, and having broken outdated drivers installed on your system by Starforce, whatever DRM Steam uses seems like the least obnoxious one in the history of the universe.

Between juggling 13 CD's, answering obscure lore questions from long lost manuals, and having broken outdated drivers installed on your system by Starforce, whatever DRM Steam uses seems like the least obnoxious one in the history of the universe.
No, Steam is evil. Just think about it, man - what happens if Valve goes bankrupt, or the world runs out of internet? We'll all wind up losing our games!

Come to think of it, *that* would be a fantastic April Fools' story. If Valve did a "Steam will be shutting down" news update within Steam's news system, that could actually result in global panic :).

They are indeed the least annoying DRM out there. Still DRM though and I will take no DRM over that.

I have not personally been burned by Steam (yet) but know people who have and have heard plenty of horror stories.

But this explains it better than I could.

You asked why people would go to GoG over Steam and that's the reason I would.

As good a reason as any. Your post just made it sound like Steam was especially bad in some fashion. :)

Come to think of it, *that* would be a fantastic April Fools' story. If Valve did a "Steam will be shutting down" news update within Steam's news system, that could actually result in global panic .

Heh, undoubtedly. In all fairness though, that could be a several thousand dollar investment down the drain for some people these days.

Back