GOG.com's WC4DVD No Video but Sound

pho

Rear Admiral
Hello I've read all the tips and tweaks in the Forum of GOG.com and here but had no luck with WC4DVD. When WC4 starts the screen stayes black and I hear sound. When I press ESC I have the typical cutscene choices. After that the game itself runs fine. I've tested the mpeg2dec.ax(with executing register.bat) and after that I installed k-lite and changed the default decoder to allmost all possible. From ffmpeg to to gabest. In ffmpeg I checked and changed the decoder from libmpeg2 to libav... and vice versa. I'm at work so I cant give you a DXDiag. I don't have a third party av-scanner or firewall.

Some details:
OS Win 7 x64 Home Premium
AMD Phenom x4 3000+
4 Gig DDR 2
Allways the latest drivers

ok here is my dxdiag:
http://nopaste.info/62c0f1d000.html

Heres my CCCP Insurgent report:
File: D:\Spiele\Wing Commander IV\vob\SC_0010A.vob

Filter 0: Video Renderer
Filename: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\quartz.dll
Filter CRC: 846ED5FC
Date: 2011-10-26 | 06:32:11
Filter 1: Default DirectSound Device
Filter 2: ffdshow Video Decoder
Filename: C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Lite Codec Pack\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax
Filter CRC: 1F6B0636
Date: 2012-03-22 | 20:00:00
Filter 3: ffdshow Audio Decoder
Filename: C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Lite Codec Pack\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax
Filter CRC: 1F6B0636
Date: 2012-03-22 | 20:00:00
Filter 4: MPEG-2 Demultiplexer
Filename: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mpg2splt.ax
Filter CRC: 06876B76
Date: 2010-12-23 | 07:50:23
Filter 5: D:\Spiele\Wing Commander IV\vob\SC_0010A.vob

Note: For File CRC, use CRC Check from the Tools Menu!

Use the K-Lite Codec Tweak Tool to disable the mpeg2dec filter (or unregister it), just to be sure the game will load ffdshow.

Also, try disabling options related to DXVA on ffdshow.

I found the error.
After doing everything you said I still had no Video but ffdvideo was active. So I decided to deactivate the second monitor and voila... wc4 runs perfectly fine.

So WC4 has no multi monitor support.
You should mention it on the GOG News entry on your side.

Thanks for your time :)

Great! :) Glad to know it is working for you.

It hadn't occurred to me that the second monitor could be a problem, we should definitely add this information. Thanks for letting us know!

(as a side note, my Win7 64-bit test Laptop seems to run WC4 with the external monitor connected just fine... so it could vary according to hardware / drivers)

Could be a problem only for NVidia Cards/Drivers (latest WHQL) if your Laptop has a ATI/AMD Card

Second monitors always are a problem, standoff and Saga do not properly register MM setups, and neither does starlancer.. I have used just about every driver since the late 90's. Currently running the Omega drivers for ATI. I need to disconnect the other monitors before games will work(Unreal tournament engine-based game also have this problem).

Thats why I use since the late 90s allways NVidia-Cards because there aren't such problems with that games or engines. Only WC4 now hate the multi-monitor settings

It is actually an NVidia, more precisely an NVIDIA NVS 3100M, which is an entry-level card but more than enough for WC4. This makes me suspect the monitor issue could be driver based.

The external monitor is set to the primary display, as this machine pretty much sits on my desk most of the time.

In case someone wants to take a peek for comparing driver versions or hardware models, i'm attaching DxDiag information of my 3 test laptops:

- EEEPC 901 with Windows XP Pro (Intel card)
- Toshiba Satellite M50 with Vista Ultimate (ATI Mobility Radeon)
- HP Elitebook 8440P with Win7 64-bit, tested with 2 monitors (NVidia NVS 3100M)

GOG's WC4 runs perfectly on all three. Hope it proves useful!

Attachments

• DxDiag eeepc 901 XP.txt
    42.9 KB · Views: 105
  • DxDiag Toshiba M50 Vista.txt
    29.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DxDiag HP Elitebook Win7 64-bit 2monitors.txt
    35.2 KB · Views: 165
Back