Glide Wrapper

I installed WCP on Windows XP and noticed that the crosshairs and HUD were spotty and with some guns, didn't appear at all. I found the Hi-Res patch and installed that. It made the game look better, but didn't change the HUD. I found a post that mentioned using the Glide Wrapper to fix the HUD, so I tried that. It didn't work. I scrolled down the list and didn't find an option for WCP (although there is one for the demo version). I tried changing the options for the global settings, but that didn't work either. Does anyone have any tips to get it working?

What settings are you using in the glide wrapper? What resolution? What memory setting? Are you playing Prophecy in actual 3dfx mode? Have you tried toggling different graphics settings in the options menu? Compatibility mode in XP?

Ok, under global settings, I have 16 mb texture res. try hi res, 120hz refresh, vertical sync always on, generate mipmaps, anisotropy 16x, most fancy shaders, render to own window, and crazy thread policy. The res limit for both the glide wrapper and the hi-res update I installed is set to 1280x1024. And now it seems that I have a new problem. When I went to check my graphic card settings from the launcher window, the window closes after I click on "Select Video Card." The video card screen opens, but it closes both windows right away. I tried running the game in Windows 95 compatability, but that doesn't help. I've tried changing the visual options in the game, but that doesn't help.

It might help to turn texture memory down to 4 megs for greater compatibility.

It sounds like you have a larger video problem here that is affecting both the launcher and the in-game graphics. What sort of video card do you have? It always helps to give us your system specs. Do you know if you're playing in 3dfx mode or not? Is space colored at all or do you see the 3dfx logo when you start the game? Sometimes a full reinstall can fix problems with the launcher. You definitely want to get that working so you can see the difference between Direct3D and 3dfx modes.

I've tried it in 4 megs, and it didn't change. I reinstalled the game and that fixed the launcher problem. I've got an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 video card, 1024 mb total mem with 548 free, 1594 mhz Pent 4 mobile, win xp service pack 2, directx 9, and soundmax integrated sound. That's probably more than you need, but just in case. When I'm in game, I have textured space, and no 3dfx logo pops up. When I go into the select video card menu, it has 3dfx Glide (2.48.00.0455) selected, and when I hit ok, a dialog pops up saying "Wing Commander: Prophecy supports 3dfx glide 2.43 and higher. Woodoo graphics users must have this updated version of glide installed on their system. To install the opdated glide runtime driver kit, run 'grtvgr.exe' file in the 3dfx folder of the wing commander prophecy ccd #1. See the install guide for additional information. There is no need to install drivers unless your're having problems with the drivers you recieved with your board." I installed this update before, and I think this is what was causing the launder to crash.

The glide update that comes with WCP is definitely ONLY made for genuine 3dfx voodoo hardware. Using it with any form of glide wrapper will cause problems as it will probably kill the wraper one way or another.

When you are in the game, are all five 3d graphics options selectable, or are two grayed out? Have you tried comparing the differences between Direct3D and 3dfx mode?

If anything is grayed out, then you're not running in 3dfx mode. You can compare the differences in https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6525 If fog is grayed out and lens flare is checkable, then you've got a fan made patch installed. This could be a sign that your previous uninstall and reinstall was not thorough.

I just noticed that you have a *Mobility* 9600. It's possible that the laptop video card you have is not capable of properly enabling the glide wrapper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, uninstalled again, and checked the directory for any uninstalled files. Deleted them and installed again. When I start up the game, it's still in the default 800 X 600 resolution. Also, like I mentioned before, I noticed that the glide wrapper doesn't have an entry on the list specifically for prophecy. It has an entry for the demo (underneath the profile name, it shows wcpdemo.exe). I wonder if that's why it isn't changing the game settings.

adamtaylor356 said:
Ok, uninstalled again, and checked the directory for any uninstalled files. Deleted them and installed again. When I start up the game, it's still in the default 800 X 600 resolution.

Wing Commander Prophecy, and the Voodoo 1 cards it was designed for, have a maximum built-in resolution of 640x480.

adamtaylor356 said:
Also, like I mentioned before, I noticed that the glide wrapper doesn't have an entry on the list specifically for prophecy. It has an entry for the demo (underneath the profile name, it shows wcpdemo.exe). I wonder if that's why it isn't changing the game settings.

Nope, lots of people use the glide wrapper for Prophecy. You shouldn't have to do much beyond use the default global settings. Have you tried the WCP Demo or 3dfx Test with it? I'm going to bet it's something in the Mobility 9600 that the wrapper doesn't like. If you have universal settings for antialiasing or anything like that, try disabling them to minimize any interference.

The wrapper works on my ATI mobility 9700.
A default resolution of 800x600 does indicate however that this still isn't a fresh install, as WCP cannot even do that resolution without an inofficial patch.

Hey, it started working. I set all the options in glide wrapper to default and tried running it, and it worked. The only problem is that it's still in the default resolution (I said 800 x 600 before, but i was wrong). The only problem I have is that setting the resolution differently in glide wrapper doesn't change it in game. I was gonna try installing the hi-res mod again, but I don't know if it will mess up the glide wrapper again. Is anyone running both the glide wrapper and hi-res mod at the same time?

Yeah, lots of people run the high res patch and glide wrapper together. That doesn't definitely mean your problems weren't related to it, but the high res patch should work fine.

Good news, got everything working. I had to reinstall it one more time, I think the hi-res mod might not like running at 1600 X 1200 because I was having problems. I turned it down to 1280 X 1024 and it works just fine. Then I installed the video fix, I just have one last question. I noticed a blue streak across the screen from the HUD. I remember seeing something about it in the forum, but can't find it now. Does anyone have any info about that?

adamtaylor356 said:
Good news, got everything working. I had to reinstall it one more time, I think the hi-res mod might not like running at 1600 X 1200 because I was having problems. I turned it down to 1280 X 1024 and it works just fine. Then I installed the video fix, I just have one last question. I noticed a blue streak across the screen from the HUD. I remember seeing something about it in the forum, but can't find it now. Does anyone have any info about that?

Thats a bug with the high-res patch not resizing the Blue oval in glide mode properly. I believe HCl was working on a fix for that... do you have the latest version of the high-res patch?

adamtaylor356 said:

Yeah, 3dfx stuff gets weird over 1280x1024. That's the limit you can take the high res patch up to for 3dfx mode in the current patch.

AD said:
Thats a bug with the high-res patch not resizing the Blue oval in glide mode properly. I believe HCl was working on a fix for that... do you have the latest version of the high-res patch?

It's already been fixed (as well as other bugs such as the ships resizing in the simulator selector), but I don't think HCl has released the updated version yet.

Quick follow up, if anyone is still checking this thread. I saw on the news page that there's a new updated hi-res patch that fixes the blue oval. I tried to download it hrom HCl's page, but it seemed like it was the same file. Does anyone know if he has it posted yet?

Back