Glide problem for Secret Ops and a Prophecy question

Robman4780

Spaceman
Hi all,

I'm trying to run SO (from Prophecy Gold Edition) in Windows XP on a new DELL Dimension 4550. When I try to install SO it give me the following error message:

"This application has failed to start because glide2x.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

I have tried to use the Direct X installer on the launcher, but it doesn't seem to work. I have Prophecy installed and it is working fine, with no error message.

My question with Prophecy is in regards to the in-game movies. I think my CD-ROM drive is way too fast for them, as it appears to run all of them in fast forward. Is there a way to fix this problem? I'm not sure but I think my ROM is 58x64x58.

Can anybody help me?:confused:

Originally posted by Robman4780
Hi all,
"This application has failed to start because glide2x.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

You got a glide based (Voodoo) Graphic card? If not pick D3D as rendering option.

I have a 64 MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 video card. Is this a Voodoo-based card?
No, sorry, but that ain't a Voodoo card.

Although.....when 3Dfx went out of bidness, they were bought by Nvidia. Maybe NV incorporated Glide capabilities into their subsequent cards?..... I dunno.

Anyone care to fill us in on that possibility?...

I have a 64 MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 video card. Is this a Voodoo-based card?

If you cannot read Voodoo or 3dfx somewhere BIG on your card it isn't. 3dfx was one single manufacturer that was bought out by Nvidia. No, no NVIDIA cards support the Glide command set.

How do I do that?

Start the launcher (not the game) and pick 'select video card'.

@ Preacher, Re: the change that Nvidia will make Glide compatible drivers:
Why would they? The glide interface is dead. Just some backward compatibility freaks or people that play aeon old games use it anymore. It would be a complete waste of their time.
(Yes, I am one of said guys, but from a marketing point that is the sad truth)

I had the same problem with the movies playing too fast. It's not the CD drive, but your computer, because when this happened to me I just got out an old computer, hooked it up, and put my cd drive in it, and the movies played fine. i guess the movies play as fast as your computer can show them, Privateer 2 has the same problem on my newer computer, only the movies play O.K. and the game playes way too fast.

Its not the CD-rom Drive....once again,it has to do with DX`s Sound acceleration ! Turn it off.It helps at 99%.

Also,you are right Ross,the best way is to buy an old machine,and just play them all with no prob ;)

Ok, regarding the DX's sound acceleration; How do I turn it off? I looked in DXDIAG and couldn't find anything that talked about acceleration.

My bad- just found it. Thanks, that fixed that problem with Prophecy.

I still have the problem with SO. Why would Prophecy run and not SO? Any ideas?

Just choose to run a D3d card...from the "select Video card",in the Installation menu.....

Someone asked about 3dfx influence on future Nvidia based graphics cards.

In terms of Glide, that is a no. Nvidia has made it clear it has no plans now or in the future to ever resurrect the Glide API. The reason, Direct X is now considered the obvious choice for almost all graphic companies. While there is still a following for the OpenGL API, internal wrangling has kept it from being the DX API killer. Plus Nvidia and ATI, are now endorsing a newer programming based language for the graphics processor (C Graphics - can't remember it right now). And with Direct X API being essentially the defacto standard on Windows based PC's, Glide is just one of those things for the history books.

Also remember Glide was developed and created at a time where 3D graphics cards were still in their infancy. Almost all chip makers had their own API, so you had games that support certain 3d Chipsets. Direct X API wasn't the best choice at times (talking Dx 1-3 about) and OpenGL was limited but looked promising. 3dfx was able to step in, offer a powerful API (that ironically beat out Intels MMX offering) that found wide approval and hence was used in many programs for a long time.

The last games written to be exclusively or at least enhanced by glide were probable more than a year and a half to two years ago. Glide is still an option in a few games, but remember with Dx8 and above, Microsoft essentially wrote out "daughter" cards like the Voodoo 2 and 1 from the code and 3dfx stopped drivers for the v1 and 2 with Dx7. They instead wrote drivers mostly to support Dx API and legacy Glide Apps.

The newer Geforce 5's (aka NV30) now known as GeForce FX, is actually going to incorporate some of the technology gained from the purchase of 3dfx. Supposedly the reason for the name of "FX" is also to show the blending of 3dfx and Nvidia in the technology. I don't know if Nvidia however has posted this on their website as the official reason.

But Glide however isn't part of the new drivers and never will be. Since glide as an api is pretty much not used anymore at all and would be pointless to develop drivers for it.

However I am still a proud owner of 2 Voodoo 2's 12mb in SLI mode in my system and hope to have them there till I finally abandon the Win98SE platform. For now I run Win98SE on one removeable HD and WinXP on another (so I don't deal with dual boot hassles) and let them share the rest of the drives which are unaffected by having the two OS's. So I don't have to worry about my Voodoo 2 or Glide games not working properly (without unofficial third party tools if I wanted to use them in XP) in XP.

Back