getting started

sparks

Spaceman
MY MAIN PC GOT HIT BY LIGHTNING LAST WEEK, SO I'M TESTING EVERYTHING, INCLUDING UE ON AN OLD DUAL PP/200.

THE GAME LOOKS GREAT, EXCEPT FOR THE HEADSUP GAUGE COLOR WHICH IS HARD FOR ME TO READ. I WAS SO HAPPY THAT ITHE GAEM RAN ON MY OLD DUAL PP/200 THAT i DIDN'T TRY TO CHANGE ANY OF THE DEFAULTS. I'VE GOT A NEW MOTHERBOARD ON ORDER 'CAUSE MY VIDEO CARD WON'T WORK ON ANYTHING UNDER A P3.

I WAS ABLE TO GET UE TO LOAD AND RUN MINUS MOVIES AND SPEECH, SOFTWARE MODE. HAVING MOVIES AND ALL WOULD MAKE IT BETTER, BUT MAINLY I WANT TO FLY.

I WAS ABLE TO RUN A MISSION, WHICH ENDED BY GIVING ME A PASSCODE. I HAVE 2 QUESTIONS:

1. WHAT DO I DO WITH THE CODE?

2. THE SUBSEQUENT MISSION WAS TO SCOUT 3 NAVOINTS FOR A KILRATHIC HEAVY SHIP. I GOT TO THE THIRD NAV POINT WITH BOTH WINGMEN, AND SEEM TO BE IN LIMBO - NO "AUTO", NO CAP SHIP. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG (BESIDES USING AN OLD PC)?

Sorry To Waste Your Time

Looked Back At The Readme And Found The Answer.

Gamerocks, Even Without The Movies.

Maybe You Should Thing Of Me As Hard Of "hearing"!

Sorry If You Dont Like Caps. I've Been Operating Computers Since Before You (maybe Your Parents) Were Born, And Online Forums For At Least Twice As Long As The Www Has Been Around.

Now That I'm Half-blind, Caps Are All I Can Read In These Ridiculously Small Fonts, Unless I Use A Magnifier Or Push The Screen Res Down So Far The Page Spills Out Of The Monitor. Some Of The Screen Designers Need To Take An Introductory Lesson In Human Visual Interface Design. San Serif Small Type Faces Are The Hardest Fonts Of All To Read, And Some On This Page Are Smaller Than The Faces Used In The Telephone Book.

Btw, It Isn't Shouting When It's In The Game's Fiction And Interface, As Well As In Every Real Cockpit In The World, So Who's To Say What's Proper Here?

The Answer To The Mission Was In The Readme. As I Recall ,it Involved Pulling Up The Nav Map.

You know that, in pretty much any browser, you can select a font and size to use, right?

This isn't even one of the jackass pages that uses various things that make that difficult...

When I "said" I Was Half-blind, I Wasn't Kidding. For This Session I Have My Res Set To 640x480, Windows Standard Extra-large. With These Setings, The "standard" Top And Bottom Menu Bars Take Up 1/3 Of The Screen Height.

The Font Size Option Of Ie6 Has No Effect When Applied Over These Settings At This Site (try It).

I'm Not Trying To Give Anyone A Hard Time, It Is Just That Most Of The Forums I Visit Seem To Be Designed By People With Vision That Is Corrected To Nearly Perfect.

Mine Isn't. I Typically Play Wc On A 19" Or Larger Monitor At The Lowest Display Res The Game Will Support, With My Face 12" Away From The Screen. It's Probably Just As Well That It's Become A Fan Supported Genre, As I Will Probably Have To Give It Up In A Few Years.

Kind Of Gives A New Meaning To "unseen Enemy" - Eh?

Unregistered said:
The Font Size Option Of Ie6 Has No Effect When Applied Over These Settings At This Site (try It).

I actually forgot about the "Text Size" selection pulldown/buttons, because I tend to like to over-ride fonts sometimes, when I've been using the computer for a while. As such, I generally tend to use the accessibility options, which will always just ignore the specified font/size settings. I did, however, double check that that way worked before I said anything.

You go to Tools, Options, Accessibility and hit the thing that says "Ignore font sizes specified on web pages" and, if you'd like, you can ignore font styles too... You specify what you'd like to use by hitting the font button, also in internet options.

The small, medium, large, etc font size selections in IE, if I recall correctly, don't work when font sizes are specified in pixels, rather than points or ems... I think it may just be the way the board specifies font sizes by default. I'll poke Kris and Hades to see if they have anything against changing that (or if they even can).

I'm Not Trying To Give Anyone A Hard Time, It Is Just That Most Of The Forums I Visit Seem To Be Designed By People With Vision That Is Corrected To Nearly Perfect.

I think LOAF managed to use it during periods where he wasn't doing so hot... but I'm really not sure. Maybe he'd have some suggestions.

I've added a new style based on the Blue theme that has big fonts. You can set it as your default from http://www.crius.net/zone/usercp.php? under Options > Style set.

The Unknown Enemy forum (as well as Standoff and WC Saga) uses a forced style, however, so you'll have to use your accessibility settings. If IE doesn't let you change the font size, you could try a browser that will.

Personally, I find it very hard to read text where the first letter of every word is capitalised. On the Internet I try my best to make sure everyone can understand what I say, not just me :)

My vision still isn't great (G) I used a text reader dealy to visit the CZ for a while, though. Still, you shouldn't have to read what *you're* typing, just everything else...

Thanks For The Suggestions

Obviously, When I Switched From Winnt3.1 To W2k, I Didn't Spend Enough Time Investigating All The Options. The Work I Do Eats Up A Lot Of Time, And When I Get Something That Works For Me, I Tend To Stick With It Instead Of Digging Into It Further.

The Ignore Fonts Sounds Great. When My Wife Gets Back She Can Help Me Read Over The Screens So I Can Make The Setting Change.

I Appreciate The Effort Behind Posting The New Style And Will Also Check It Out.

Regarding The Other Comments, The Initial Caps Is Being Done By The Board's Sw, Not Me.

I Have Very Little Sensation Left In My Hands And A Tremor, So I Can't Reliably Stay On The Home Row. Unless I Keep Checking What I've "said" It Tends To Drift Into Gibberish.

The Reason My Handle Is Sparks, Is Because I Tend To Miss The Function Keys In Battle, And End Up Linping Home With Sparks Coming Out Of My Craft's Tail. I've Made A Plexi Kbd Mask And Stripped All But The Critical Keys Off My Wc Game Kb, But I Still Miss Unless I Look Down, And Then I Get Nailed From Behind. It's Still Better Than Using Multibutton Joysticks. I Keep Snapping Off The Handles And Breaking The Switches.

I Am Evaluating Opera As An Alternative Browser. Netscape And Mozilla Have Too Many Issues With The Ie-centric Sites I Need To Use. Any Recommendations Would Be Appreciated.

If The New Mb I Ordered Arrives Before I Work My Way Through Ue, I'm Looking Forward To The Mm Aspect Of The Game. I May Run Just Run Though It Again.

Thanks TC. The Tools\Options\Accessibilty worked for making most of the forum messages large enough, and rsponsive to the .view larger menu. The font in this reply compose box is still a little small, but usable, so I can stop "shouting".

KrisV - thanks for the new style, but its actually too big for now. Maybe next year.

Back