Getting Privateer to run in win98 (a real headache :P )

Hawk

Spaceman
Can someone tell how to get privateer to run in win98? Every time I click on the icon and the computer restarts in dos mode it says "not enoght ems memory". Once I played around with the icon setting and I got the ems to work (I think) but then it "said cannot dettect cd-rom."
Thanks for any help...

You need to configure a full compatible DOS Mode under Win98 using config.sys and autoexec.bat - Or even better - Try to make a boot disk supporting your sound card, cd-rom drive and mouse.

Eleazar

Have you tried to simply configure a dos box with the option "don't let programs detect windows" and then install/run Privateer?
Maybe then it will run in this window and you don't need to:
- reboot
- make any changes to your config.sys and autoexec.bat

EW is right, even with not detect windows and EMS activated it stills says that "not enoght ems memory" error message.

You can get enough EMS memory, but even if you do, JEMM will fail to initialize properly and therefore the game won't run. The versions of JEMM that Armada and Privateer run on top of are incompatible with Windows.

TC

Originally posted by TC
You can get enough EMS memory, but even if you do, JEMM will fail to initialize properly and therefore the game won't run. The versions of JEMM that Armada and Privateer run on top of are incompatible with Windows.

:( Does this mean there is absolutely NO WAY to play privateer, except than to find an old 386?
Would using the MS-DOS prompt or rebooting the system in MS-DOS mode work?
Or perhaps even Linux! (but answer the previous querstions first)

Mmmmmh... thanx Bandit and Dragon, but to "should make it work", I'd need the game first, right?

Well, I guess I'm off to that wonderful sport WC fans all have practiced by now: ebay HUNTING... :)

I'm fine with using DOS for Armada and Priv, but I'm just curious: what does "VCPI compliant" mean? I remember getting something about that first time I tried to play them in Windows.

You don't NEED to edit your config.sys to run Armada & Privateer (or at least Armada...don't have Privateer). Or not your permanent one. You can just specify a new one under Advanced Program Settings. Mine is like this:

Device=C:\WINDOWS\Himem.Sys
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Emm386.exe 6144 M9 RAM
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=25
BUFFERS=25
SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\COMMAND.COM /P
DEVICEHIGH=c:\cdrom\FDATACD.SYS /D:IDECD000

Then again, to each system config his own.:)
Anyway, edit armada.exe to always run in DOS and the game will use the new config. Afterwards, it will revert back to your old settings.
And if I remember, that error message said "Memory is not VCPI compliant".

In the documentation from the CD version there are lots of examples to making the autoexec.bat and config.sys files needed for the dos boot shortcut. If your trying to run the originals (floppy versions) there may be other things to do with the shortcut to make them work. I have found that once the PIF maker created the shortcut for Privateer, I had to do some tweaking to the two files (autoexec.bat/config.sys) by adding some himem junk and point to the soundcards dos driver equivalents as well as some vid card entries. Each system will require different setups. Once you get that going, it should make things easier to run other games as long as the settings are comfortable with other games. I was able to get WC-II to run off the shortcut for Privateer, the game ran ok other than speed, then the Moslo utility solved that problem. There may be conflicts with certian cards not able to run in dos mode (sound/vid etc) but consult the cards documentation for that, or visit the cards website to see if any drivers are available for your particular card. If any would like, send me an email and I will be happy to send you a basic PIF (dos shortcut) with some setups already in place in the autoexec and config files as well as the two files for the boot. You would only need to make suttle changes as to where the dos drivers are located so the boot can find them. Best place for those are in windows/command folder. I knew that there was a reason to save certian files and all from the ol DOS 6.22 before I updated to win! And it never hurts to have a DOS command handbook around! Send an email to the following addy for a basic PIF (dos shortcut); rfburns@rfburns.net

Oh while Im at it, visit my site http://www.rfburns.net No WC stuff there yet but lots of funny Sci-Fi skits with everyones favorite FBI agents! Oh, I need to update!!! :O

RFBurns

Back