Getting Privateer to run in Win 95/98

List your Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files if you need help.

For anyone out there who has Win ME and needs a bootdisk that will make Dos work in Win ME I have a program that does it. You have to put the sound, mouse, and CD ROM lines in your config and autoexec though but it works pretty well. Only prob for me is that I can't find the driver for my sound card.

If anyone has an HP Pavilian (xe783) with sound drivers that work in Dos or knows the model number for the sound card in that model please tell me.

[Edited by LOA--Deadman on 02-27-2001 at 01:41]

Privateer

You have to run it in pure dos, as far as I know. If you get a complicated looking error when you try to start it in dos, make sure you have the lines

FILES=50
BUFFERS=50

in your config.sys file. Turns out that's what I was missing that kept me from playing the game for years. There's still that sound problem though...

my config has:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DRVSPACE.SYS /MOVE

and autoexec has:
nothing

no clue why this is, but obviously my system files aren't used to boot this sucker up. any clue? i thought the WIN95/98 machines used some other files to boot up, so i'm oblivious how to get a boot disk to work in it.

Win95/98 machines don't need anything in these files to boot, but they do still use them. In any case, when you use a boot disk, you override whatever OS is on the hard drive, anyway, so that doesn't really matter.

In any case, you'll want your config files to look something like this:

Config.Sys:

DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF
FILESHIGH=30
BUFFERSHIGH=30
[CD-ROM driver]

Autoexec.Bat:

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND