Geoff Tolwyns father: Has he been in any books so far?

FredDude32

Rear Admiral
I'm doing some research again for my light novel. This time I'm asking the people who have read all the WC novels so far: Has Geoff Tolwyns father been in any books so far? I dont have all the books in question otherwise I would have read it myself.

Reason for asking is I would perhaps like to add a bit on Tolwyns father. I think I have an interesting "scenario" that involves both Geoff and his Father in the early war-years.

Thank you in advance.

Only barely--Tolwyn's parents are at the Academy graduation reception at the start of Action Stations. All we hear about them, though, is that Geoffrey is on his way to get them drinks when he gets into the argument with Senator More.

We are told though that Tolwyn comes from a long line of naval officers, so it's pretty likely that his father is a Captain (Navy) if not a Flag Officer (or a retired officer).

Don't we know of something the family's military history? I have it in my head that Geoff is from a long line of soldiers, which (I assume) include his father.

We don't know anything specific about Tolwyn's parents except what LOAF linked to. We do not know if his father was in the military (and if you read more into AS it would seem that the line Geoff comes from is not the military line but the business line...we some of this when we hear about Kevin's mom not being thrilled that he followed his uncle into the service if I'm recalling it correctly).

I want to say Tolwyn also mentions one member is a Victoria Cross recipient.

Oh yes, I had wanted to comment on this. Yes, Dundradal is correct. The idea isn't that the Tolwyns are a military family so much as that they are a prominent family that has served as needed and that favors a military education. Per Action Stations, describing Tolwyn: "Very upper-crust English family. Couple generations back one of them was a rear dmiral. Old tradition type, serve in the fleet for six years, then go on into the family business."

(The Handbook similarly says: "The son of a wealthy and politically influential family (go back only three generations and you'll find four admirals, on egeneral and three senators on the Tolwyn family tree)")

The only other thing we know about the Tolwyns is that they're a line of the Spencer-Churchill family - Fleet Action has Tolwyn think "for a moment of a distant ancestor of long ago, who, when contemplating the invasion and destruction of England, announced that even if England fell, the Empire, and with it the fleet, would still continue the fight."; which is a clear reference to Winston Churchill's speech in the House of Commons on the 4th June 1940:

Churchill said:
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the new world, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

Back