Ft Ft Ft....

Shipgate

Rear Admiral
You heard about the wing of bombers that were flying over the Bermuda Triangle that was lost? I can't remember if they were B-29's or what. And one of the planes was transmitting the letters F T repeatedly before it crashed. No one today knows what this was supposed to mean. I don't know much about planes and their communications. Could it have been it was being transmitted on accident? Anyway, I found it interesting.

Or . . . maybe it was "Furball Trick!" The Kilrathi sent some of their Strakhas back in time to shoot down Terran aircraft in an attempt to dissuade them from developing space technology!

I thought it was "F" "T" (Foxtrot Tango) as the name of the flight...

I believe it was one of the ground controllers that was trying to contact them, IIRC.

Would not catch me flying around anywhere to be honest. America loses more of its things due to blue on blue. What makes you think that it was not simply an american anti aircraft battery somewhere in the bermuda triangle keeping up the tradition>???

Maybe they know what happened, whatever that may be and decided it's more fun for everyone to make assumptions to what they think could have happened?

Highly unlikely though.

On a sidenote, I had recently saw a new discovery channel show about the Bermuda triangle not too long ago, Im not sure if anything new about it was concluded or not. All they said that I saw (about 10-15 minutes of it) is that compasses point true north vs. magnetic north, sure this has already been discussed before; I didn't really know that before.. and they also interviewed this guy that was flying a Beachcraft or another smaller end airplane encountered an unusual storm, had to fly through it, and when he came out of it, he was off the coast of Flordia 2 hours early than he should have been flying that plane (he originated from an island somewere and was heading to Flordia), something about that storm that made his plane go faster than it can physically fly.

Only thing I saw interesting.

There was something mentioned in a recent special about methane releases stalling an engine out. It could also have taken out that heavy aircraft. One spark around the gas tanks, and BOOM!

Don't know what their tests proved, though.

It also mentioned that there was another group of crashed Avengers off the coast of Florida. Close together, but they were a completely different flight that Flight 19 that's so famous. Can't remember the details.

wasn't there an explanation about fresh water pockets being released from seabed caverns, and the desalinated water not giving as much boyancy to ships above them, thus leading to every ship they took receiving a swimming pool??

....Oh, wait- that was an episode of SeaQuest DSV.

That's actually possible with the right kind of equipment, IIRC.

Masers and blue-green light lasers, I belive, but I'm not sure.

Actually, I think I've seen that freshwater explanation advanced somewhere else, but I'm not sure. Maybe I saw that same episode of SeaQuest, or maybe I'm misremembering the methane experiements they did. And the underlying physics, about desalinated water density, is accurate to my knowledge. Whether that's enough to actually do anything is another question, though, and I'm not a physicist or chemist.

The thing is, most ships are constructed for both fresh and seawater usage (plus the fact that most ride high enough to avoid getting in a critical situation). Methane pockets is a very likely cause - aerated liquids are much less dense than the regular liquid, and thus reducing the buoyancy.

This could also be the cause of the flight going down, though (by removing the oxygen the engine needs), a more likely cause was fuel exhaustion since they were heading away from the ATC.

*nods*

That sounds plausible. Add to that the senior pilot's seeming inability to navigate correctly or hand off lead flying to someone else, and you have all you really need.

Tossing a lighter-than-air (less lift) gas that degrades engine performance probably didn't help if it was involved.

climber said:
Would not catch me flying around anywhere to be honest. America loses more of its things due to blue on blue. What makes you think that it was not simply an american anti aircraft battery somewhere in the bermuda triangle keeping up the tradition>???

No.... the Air Force wasn't around yet....

Well, of course the number of friendly fire incidents will go up - technology has made it possible to fire and forget (before even seeing), so losses due to enemy fire go down quite a bit. And since friendly fire incidents tend to be the same errors over and over again, those are relatively stable. Thus, as the balance of casualties due to enemy fire go down, friendly fire incidents appear to increase.

Back