from Wc2 to Wc3

TCSTigersClaw

Greek Special Forces B' Company "Naoussa" 2007-200
Hi to all wcfans! Im the newest member of the chat zone.:) I just cant understand how both Kilrathi and Confed tech changed so much between 2667 and 2669. The afterburner mechanism the decoys,the missle loadout,the Kilrathi "assymetry" ships,and others. Can anyone give me an explaination for all this? :confused:

While Firebird is correct in terms of the real world, the significant changes can also be explained through the expanded storyline of the novels.

The events of END RUN showed that the Kilrathi were strapped due to the quick strike attacks on their commerce lines and manufacturing areas. And remember that the Kilrathi weren't exactly open about sharing new technologies.

The Battle of Terra in FLEET ACTION, which occurred between WCII and WCIII, decimated the Terran fleets, necessitating rapid build-up and manufacturing. Most of the ships you see in WCIII were in fact around previously, but not visible in the games. Only the Thunderbolt and Excalibur were really in any way new to the fleet in 2669.

HTH!

I can tell you one reason for the change in confed carriers. they were changed in order to protect the flight deck in case some Kilrathi pilot wanted to make a suicide run on the hangers.

QUOTE]I can tell you one reason for the change in confed carriers. they were changed in order to protect the flight deck in case some Kilrathi pilot wanted to make a suicide run on the hangers.[/QUOTE] Uh, that was with Midway's Launch tubes, I thought.[

Originally posted by I'm thinkin...
I can tell you one reason for the change in confed carriers. they were changed in order to protect the flight deck in case some Kilrathi pilot wanted to make a suicide run on the hangers.

But you're forgetting that in Wing Commander III, Ranger-class carriers aren't new. Captain Eisen tells you that's he's been with the Victory most of his career, remember?

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
Hi to all wcfans! Im the newest member of the chat zone.:) I just cant understand how both Kilrathi and Confed tech changed so much between 2667 and 2669. The afterburner mechanism the decoys,the missle loadout,the Kilrathi "assymetry" ships,and others. Can anyone give me an explaination for all this? :confused:

The simple answer is that the game engine became more advanced and allowed them to have asymmetrical ships and so forth.

The in-universe answer is that very, very few of the ships in WC3 are *new*. The Thunderbolt and the Excalibur are the only recent Confed fighters... the Longbow, Hellcat and Arrow were all around while Blair was on the Tiger's Claw. Similarly, the Ranger class is something like 80 years old...

assymetry design

I think it is explained somewhere in a game or a novel (damn me! I forgot where) that the assymetrical kilrathi design should have an impact on terrans morale, because it looks fierce and deadly

The in-universe answer is that very, very few of the ships in WC3 are *new*. The Thunderbolt and the Excalibur are the only recent Confed fighters... the Longbow, Hellcat and Arrow were all around while Blair was on the Tiger's Claw. Similarly, the Ranger class is something like 80 years old...

What?! that's... wierd! Why would confed have a torpedo bomber when they don't have torpedo's yet?

Maybe they were invented between WC1 and WC2. They had time enough to build some new fighters and bombers betwen 2654 and 2667.

According to the movie torps were around already. Logical really since you may need to kill a cap quicker than just shooting at it. :)

Personal I wonder how confed had tube launch fighter mechanism in caps in wc1 and then went to not in wc2 and 3 and then went on about how it's a new innovation in wcp?

PS. Lynx your thinking about the wc3 manual when you mention the physalogical effect of Kilrathi fighters.

Not having a launch system, just a flight deck, is a hell of a lot easier to build. That'd make production on capships a lot quicker-that's one possibility. Although why they would think it was new in WC:p I wouldn't know. (I don't recall 'em saying that, but maybe if I knew where you saw that I could make fun of it. :) )

Well..... here's my opinion...
It's just a mistake. They didn't think of these things before doing the games... so basically it was bad planning on the part of the makers.

Maybe that's it...but use your imagination and all the fame and glory of the Wing Commander universe is open for you...:)

Confed's had Torps since shortly after the war started... They captured unexploded Kilrathi torpedoes and made their own.

TC

Even the carriers with 'bays' in WC3 and 4 still have launch systems -- they have one or more catapults for launching fighters (the exception being WCIV's Intrepid, of course). THe 'launch tubes' in WC1 and WCP are simply enclosed catapults... (Tiger's Claw, though, it should be noted, had traditional bays as well as tubes...).

Loaf I have a question on that one. In Action Stations does the old Concordia have catapults? I don't remember them being mentioned but did it in fact have them?

Back