FreeLancer planned for Xbox

Wulf

Vice Admiral
I happened to see a game list on an Xbox site I went to. I apologize, but I went through so many sites, I forgot to get the link. Release was for 2002, I believe.

You sure? The sites I saw said that Microsoft had bought Digital Anvil and was planning to release a number of their pojects on X-box. That's why they bought the company. However freelance was always mentioned separatly as being for the PC.

AD.

Hahaha!!

Well, honestly, I enjoyed StarLancer. I know, I know! I get much flak from my friends about it too (same with the Colony Wars series on PSX).

Since I enjoyed StarLancer, I would thoroughly enjoy a Privateer type game in the StarLancer universe. Especially to be able to play it on my good ol' PS2! So, I'm hoping FreeLancer ends up on the PS2. If not, I have a PC.

:)

Considering that microsoft owns freelancer, why would they release it for anything other than windows and x-box?!!!!!:rolleyes:

AD

Well

To make more money! IMVHO, I don't think the XBox is going to fare very well on the market. That is just me, though. It may do quite well.

However, I personally doubt it. So, if Microsoft were smart, they'd develop the game for other platforms and let another 3rd party company publish it for PS2 and other next-gen consoles (well, GameCube).

doubt it?? They've already sold tons of the things and are shiping 100000 new ones to retailers every week!

Whether on not you like it, x-box actualy has a lot of nifty features that the other consoles don't, plus the face that it is really easy to develop for compared to other systems. Since the games use almost the same code needed to make games for windows it is super easy to port pc games to x-box where it would require tons of work to convert to the proprietary console specific languages of nintendo and playstation.

That means a lot of games, fast... maybe

Anyway I don't want to argue about whats better blah blah blah.
My point is simply that X-box wont die any time soon (or maybe ever). Besides the fact that Microsoft has billions just sitting in the bank that they can throw at the project. So like I said: Why would they bother giving the competition a potentialy good game?

AD

Oh

I had no idea coding games was similar to Windows. Hmm... that gives them a remarkable advantage.

I agree, however, that we shouldn't argue over who is better blah blah blah.

Is, like, anyone excited over FreeLancer!?

:confused:

Originally posted by AD
Whether on not you like it, x-box actualy has a lot of nifty features that the other consoles don't,

but it doesnt have STAR WARS!!!! w00t w00t. Rouge leader is f*ing awesome. and it doesnt have METROID PRIME!! hell yeah. and oh yeah, it doesnt have ZELDA!!!!

just thought id mention that. ;)

Star Wars

Yes, Rogue Leader looks phenomenal. I also can't wait for a new Metroid game. Smash Bros Melee also looks sweet....

Actually, I can't wait until Freelancer comes out-although I too thought it was just for the PC. Since Priv. Online got canned, which pis..er...angered me. :) I've always wanted to have Freelancer come out, so at least I could have the option of an online flight sim. (Especially one like Privateer)

Skyfire -
There's always Jumpgate. That game is active right now, and gives you the opportunity to play in a persistant on-line space sim (Elite in a persistant on-line universe).

As for DA...
Personally, I liked the basic flight and combat elements of Starlancer. I didn't care much for the mission scripting though(take too long to complete an objective, and your carrier gets blown up by cloaked bombers that otherwise never impact the battle!).
And don't even get me started about the last mission.
That beam weapon on that station is the only reason I never finished the game. I just got too frustrated dying over and over and over...

Checkout the freelancer sites at microsoft and the xbox release schedule as I have just. Note that the only platform listed for Freelance is PC ! And note that Freelancer doesn't show up on the xbox schedule. That was what I said before...

Also an old news release says that DA was bought so that Microsoft could release some of their projects on Xbox but left them unnamed and then in the same breath said DA was developing freelancer for PC. I thought that maybe it was to come out on xbox at first too but if you read carefully it doesn't actually say that. That doesn't mean that it won't in the futur the way WC3 was released for PS and 3DO but it was realeased after the PC vesion.

AD

I think it's academic to debate what platform Freelancer will be released on -- I think we've yet to see any serious indication that it will be released at all.

(DA is doing an X-Box title, called "Brute Force".)

im pretty sure i have read that Freelancer is going to have a mouse-only interface (correct me if i am wrong). i dunno if this has been asked before but what are your opinions on this change? do you think that it will be an improvement on space-sims or do you think that not being able to manually fly around with a joystick will make it lose its feel of good space combat?

Depends on how it feels. Some people like joysticks for FPS and 3rdPS too. But I like the way the mouse is innovativly used in Halflife and Max Payne. It just feels natural. So maybe it's similar in freelancer. Aim with the mouse. set movement with keyboard. Could go either way. But it did have peoples jaws dropping a year ago at E3... best of show if I recall.

AD.

Freelancer won Best of Show two years ago, when Chris Roberts was still working on it and they didn't publically demo it. I don't think it won anything of note *last* year.

FreeLancer sounds very, very interesting, the most Privateeresque game since Privateer. I hope that when (if) it finally does come out that it supports keyboard though. That was one of my biggest peaves (appart from getting it to run) of Priv 2.

Back