Freedom Wings (Privateer-style DS game)

El_Destructo

Spaceman
Has anyone here played Freedom Wings? It seems like the type of game that would appeal to Privateer fans. It's kinda short and linear, but it reminded me of Privateer and Strike Commander. The Nintendo DS (or any other system for that matter) needs more games like it. It's definitely a budget title, but it's awesome. One of my favorite DS games (that don't have online play). :D

Anyone else think it's awesome?

I've never even heard of it. It looks pretty neat though. How does it control?

It controls well. The d-pad is used as a stick and the shoulder buttons are the rudder. Sometimes the planes pull to the right, which is an interesting touch, and the performance characteristics of the planes makes a big difference in how they control, but you can't crash (unless you're shot down), which is also... interesting (those damn air pirates have turned everything into rubber, and that's your motivation in the game!). The face buttons are for shooting guns and the throttle is controlled on the touch screen. You can also let your plane fly in automatic mode, where you basically let the artificial intelligence fly and fight for you while you play navigator using the touchscreen.

Hmmm... game fun, me go play now.

The automatic mode sounds kind of interesting. Is that part fun? I would like to play some sort of sim on the DS, because I think you could map some neat controls and things to the touch screen. The next DS game I'll get will probably be the Star Trek one, unless we decide not to get it or go for the PSP version.

The automatic mode can be fun when you need to shoot accurately, but the AI is suicidal; it likes to attack enemies head on while not trying hard enough to get on the enemy's tail. As long as you take an active role in guiding your plane in automatic mode (it's almost as ridiculous as it sounds), automatic mode is fun.

Back