Free Game: Elder Scrolls: Arena

Daggerfall is even better than Arena, IMHO. Morrowind really isn't too comparable anymore.
Daggerfall was a great game, I even have an old computer that runs it. The main problem with it is that you have to be a fairly determined player to get through Daggerfall. I can't wait to try Arena, I've played Daggerfall and beaten Morrowind.

Delance said:

WCN used to stand for the Wing Commander Network, one of the CIC's old competitors. Kris and one of the HLP staffers used to work on it around 1998.

They don't make box art like this anymore.

arenabox.jpg

Last edited:
You can tell it's the CD-ROM version because there's a picture of a CD-ROM that says CD-ROM on it over and over and over.

Bandit LOAF said:
You can tell it's the CD-ROM version because there's a picture of a CD-ROM that says CD-ROM on it over and over and over.

Well said

I recently tried to play Morrowind again, and boy, the game has the ugliest art direction of ANY rpg. maybe the technology is great and all... But everything is butt ugly.
Is that the cover pic of the CD-ROM version? (ducks)

PS: BTW, replacement docs is back with a vengeance... it is better than ever.

Edfilho said:
I recently tried to play Morrowind again, and boy, the game has the ugliest art direction of ANY rpg. maybe the technology is great and all... But everything is butt ugly.
Hehe, next you'll be telling us that Oblivion has better art direction than Morrowind :p.

(I think Morrowind's art direction was the best in any RPG game *ever*, personally; nomads and bugs, you just can't beat that)

I found all possible character faces ugly beyond redemption... everyone seemed to be sucking lemons. The critters were fine, but the npcs were refugees from Fuglyville. When I first started the game, I was appalled at how ugly everything looked. And I can remember several prettier games.

Morrowind had(has?) several ongoing beautification mods out there, which use fewer polys, yet look far better. Maybe everyone is a little too pretty, for peasants, but it looks better than Bethesda's works, by far. IMO, Morrowind had the worst character modeling of any game. It wasn't cartoonish, it was just... bad.

Well, I did play for quite a while using one of the people-improvement mods... but eventually I ended up going back to the original. I dunno, personally I find the ugly people extremely appropriate to the game - you know, it's medieval times (or rather, their equivalent), it's a harsh environment... there's just no reason to expect people to look good.

Really, I find it difficult to come up with any reason at all to criticise Morrowind's graphics, except perhaps regarding the way it looks worse with reflective water than without it :p.

I just thought it was the you were annoying the people...The only problem I had with all NPCs and PCs were the arms were kinda skinny.

Back