Forstchen's role in Wing Commander...

Dralthi5

Spaceman
At the end of the credits for Wing Commander IV, it says additional fiction by William R. Forstchen and Ben Ohlander.

Does this just mean that they wrote the novel and it's sort of a companion piece to the game, or does this mean something else?

Another thing, after you get promoted here in the Chat Zone, do you get a new rank on all of the posts you've done so far, or just the ones you've posted after your promotion?

------------------
Doing the bull dance. Feeling the flow.

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited January 08, 2000).]

That's sort of what it means.. there's also a chapter from the novel in the WC4 Manual.

Yeah, promotions are retroactive. So all your posts say your current rank (it makes it really hard to figure out when you were promoted if you weren't paying attention.)

TC

------------------
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Forstchen and Ohlander wrote the WCIV novel, but they are credited because they wrote the 'sample' novel chapters included in the WCIV box.

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
(loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC
http://www.wcnews.com

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

I see.

I would not have known that, because I have the PlayStation version where there is no sample chapter. Hell, my WCIV didn't even come with a manual period.
frown.gif

------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it sucks when you don't get the manual. I bought Jane's F 15 & got only the CD. The manual was on a readme file & turned into 400+ pages of technical stuff I'm still puzzling through. Ran out of paper & guzzled a lot of ink it did.

Lemme guess? It was used.

It didn't really bother me that I didn't have the instructions, I was just happy to have the game after not seeing it for a year.
biggrin.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited January 09, 2000).]

No I think he got the Classic edition from EA. They come on CDs only, and the manual is also on the CD in PDF format.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

Ah. I stand corrected.
wink.gif

------------------

Dralthi (what's with the 5 anyway... I don't think anyone would have beat you to it...) You should get the game version, you get more cool things happening (like planetary missions)

TC

------------------
Member of the Blacklance HQ

lol

Actually, Forstchen's novels are quite interesting.

If any of you have not read the novels, read them, they are quite good.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"To take one step forward, you must look back three steps... and walk forward while looking back... "

Every WC fan should read the novels, they have a lot of history and explanations in them, and you can't loose a mission in them
smile.gif
To bad they're so short.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited January 09, 2000).]

I bet if you tried really hard (and burned the book while it is describing a mission) you could loose...

TC

------------------

Could work, but why would you burn a WC book?

------------------

I wouldn't, but some crazies might try it... (send me the book and I'll burn a different book and send it to you
smile.gif
)

TC

------------------

You wish, those books have the same value to me as the games do. Which books are you missing anyhow?

------------------

You can never have too many WC books... (I don't have AS...) You can always use a second.

TC

------------------

lol

I've only read a couple myself (they always seem to be sold out in my area).

But... personally, I find it more interactive at playing the game
wink.gif

------------------
"To take one step forward, you must look back three steps... and walk forward while looking back... "

You can get it at amazon.com , and it's cheap too. Do you have ER? That was the hardest novel to find for me. Do you have the movie novels?(some people don't consider them WC novels, maybe you don't either?)

------------------

I thought the 5 in Dralthi5 was just a modal number. Instead of useing DralthiIV He used Dralthi5 so people would be as confused. I could be wrong though.

Back