Forstchen's Latest (August 13, 1998)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Just picked up my copy of Forstchen's Article 23, the followup to the earlier Star Voyager Academy. If you enjoyed Forstchen's Wing Commander books, you may like Article 23... it's definatly for a younger audience, but it's a really fun read (and there's a whole lot of classic Forstchen visible). The important note, however, is that it includes a list of Wing Commander books at the start which includes "False Colors by William R. Forstchen and William H. Keith, Jr. (forthcoming)." Just another sign that FC is getting close...
--
Original update published on August 13, 1998

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry for topping a 9 year old post, but this was the only post I could find on this series.

I picked up each of the three books in this series from Amazon for a penny each. I would have spent even two pennies on them! They're engaging quick reads, and the first two (Star Voyager Academy and Article 23) and pretty straightforward. The third book, Prometheus, takes place several years after the events of Article 23 and is a bit more thought provoking and quite a bit darker. Following the events of the first two books could have lead to a longer-lived series, but Prometheus quickly spiraled into a complicated universe that was a bit less pleasant to read at the same level.

In any event, Forstchen continues to be a fun author for distracting reads. It's unfortunate that we'll likely not see a new sci-fi book from him in the near future. I was quite impressed with his ability to bring near-future and somewhat plausible technologies and incorporate them into a book without distracting and long-winded explanations (Asimov comes to mind). Just another fun little thing WC has brought into my life ;)

I read Article 23 years ago. I remember it being a little too "Young Adult" for my taste but it was a fine book to pass an afternoon with. The only part I remember about it was a rather fun orbital freefall at the beginning.

I read Article 23 years ago. I remember it being a little too "Young Adult" for my taste but it was a fine book to pass an afternoon with. The only part I remember about it was a rather fun orbital freefall at the beginning.

That's what makes the series ultimately work really well - it[s two light-hearted adventures followed by a really dark third story (Prometheus).

Back