Foolish Cruisers

Plywood Fiend

Rear Admiral
I know this isn't the world's greatest picture but if you look closely, (or find a larger one), you can see that a number of the Talahassee class cruisers are upside down.

Why is this? Theories anyone?

ajax problems.jpg

Wow. Because there's no "up" in space? The only exception to this is if you have the galactic disc as reference. And even then, it's mostly a meaningless point of reference.
As for WHY they might be upside down....The artists probably thought there were too many look-alike ships out there. Believe me, when you repeat a model that many times, even the most unskilled eye can spot it. So the easiest way to get some visual variety? Flip 'em upside down!

Now you know.

Can you really tell that those four ships are upside down from that picture?

Yeah, I had noticed this before when extracting various FMV sequences using HCL's WC player. Due to the shot being rather short (~10 seconds) as well as the low resolution and heavy compression, one only notices it upon closer inspection and even then, it's not really a standout error. I would be inclined to support Howard's explaination to make the array of ships appear more diverse.

There also appears to be at least one visible Ranger model and possibly others in the scene that have also been flipped.

wc3fleetbuildup1of.jpg

I've uploaded a 1MB DivX encode of the above scene here (click the "Free" buttom to download). This scene was extracted and encoded a few years back with increased brightness levels and a bicubic resize to 640x320.

Cheers,

BrynS

Hmm, so far i've counted 3 upside down rangers and something that might be the TCS Coral Sea, or probably just a blurry sheffield destroyer.

How in the universe would you ever decide that something might be the TCS Coral Sea (a pre-war carrier referenced briefly in Action Stations)?

they look like they are upside down but then it could have been a new class of ship that was never mention
which fleet was this which suppose to draw out the Kilrathi which allow the templor bomb wing to hit kilrah??

Bandit LOAF:
*cough*wishfulthinking*cough*

Seriously - how could you tell? There's not a ship on there that's any higher resolution than 30 pixels. (besides that big Tallahasse up front). At that resolution it's like finding pictures in clouds.

Hold on a sec......I see a bunny.

Howard Day said:
Bandit LOAF:
*cough*wishfulthinking*cough*

Seriously - how could you tell? There's not a ship on there that's any higher resolution than 30 pixels. (besides that big Tallahasse up front). At that resolution it's like finding pictures in clouds.

Hold on a sec......I see a bunny.

*Sigh*

I never said i could tell, i said it looks like. (And i'm going by the one shown on tactics.solsector.net. which looks like a squashed sheffield cruiser, (at least from the back and at a large distance, sort of)), which is probably what is in the picture if you want to be unimaginative.

Its like star constellations, you have to use your imagination.

Plywood Fiend said:
I never said i could tell, i said it looks like. (And i'm going by the one shown on tactics.solsector.net. which looks like a squashed sheffield cruiser, (at least from the back and at a large distance, sort of)), which is probably what is in the picture if you want to be unimaginative.

Its like star constellations, you have to use your imagination.

That's not the point.. the "Coral Sea" you're referring to doesn't really exist in Wing Commander.. and the only one in Wing Commander that does exist couldn't possibly be in that picture, so saying you think you see it there doesn't make a lot of sense.

ChrisReid said:
That's not the point.. the "Coral Sea" you're referring to doesn't really exist in Wing Commander.. and the only one in Wing Commander that does exist couldn't possibly be in that picture, so saying you think you see it there doesn't make a lot of sense.

Well i did say it required imagination, (and that it was probably a blurry looking Sheffield class destroyer after all). I didn't actually believe that the programmers had designed in a new class of carrier for a three second appearance.

In other words, it was a joke/insincere statement.

EDIT

Hmmm, on further reading i poorly worded the last post i made, what i meant was probably in the picture was a blurry sheffield, not the Coral Sea.

Back