Food for Thought: Weaponry Stats

Concordia

Swabbie
Banned
For anyone who wants to make a new-mod of some kind, or editing. Here's some food for thought.

AMG's: One size for all?
-Is this really necessary? It seems as if every single WC ship that carries AMG's does the same yield. That seems hardly accurate. Throughout history, ships have not carried the same type of guns. Cruisers carry heavier guns than Destroyers for example. It strikes me as somewhat unusual for all the ships with AMG's to have exactly the same yield. I would see it more reasonable to have Destroyers with less armament, given some exception. That being if it's supposed to have been designed for a heavier punch.
-Remember, small ships have smaller reactors generally speaking and that means less stuff you can do.
You have a certain amount of power for the engines, a certain amount to run the acceleration absorbers, the jump-drive(s), the artificial-gravity system, the hydrogen-ramscoops, the thingies that convert some of that stellar-hydrogen into anti-hydrogen for anti-matter, the stuff that refines the fuel (remember- deuterium/tritium is the most efficient fusion reaction, not regular hydrogen... that doesn't produce the same amount of energy) into the kind used for a typical fusion reaction, and the thrusters. Not to mention the the translight and standard light-speed communications and radar, the computers, the internal-ventillation and circulation systems, the water purification systems, and the lights. You need to have some power set aside to run the shields, and you also need to have some power left to fire the guns.
-Wing Commander: End Run did mention that the Tarawa's guns were of a certain calibur. Suggesting that WC-capship guns come in different sizes. (LOAF?)
I see no illogical reason to destroyers having weaker AMG's than a big giant cruiser.

Kilrathi and Human Weapons: All the same?
-Is this really necessary? The Kilrathi have entire different evolutionary backgrounds to us, a different history, yet their guns and missiles do the exact same damage. (Yes, I know it was to save the game designers trouble with having to design special specs for the Kilrathi Guns.) I feel it would be much better for a mod to actually add special stats for the Kilrathi guns so they have different stats than their Confed counterparts.
-Fighting Strategies: Confed tends to use a well-rounded strategy when it comes to weaponry. The Kilrathi don't. WC3 Kilrathi ships aren't even symmetrical. My take on Kilrathi weapons design would be that their lighter weapons would fire faster than Confed counterparts and do less-damage in compensation for their higher firing-rate. Their heavy weapons would pack a heavier punch compared to Confed Weapons, but a slower-refire rate to compensate. I would assume a similar strategy with their missiles. The exception would be their torpedoes. Since Confed developed the technology first, it would be logical to conclude that Confed might have a technical superiority here. The Kilrathi may also prefer a more maneuverable torpedo which is harder to shoot down versus a very heavy damaging one that is easy to kill. Since their torpedoes were mentioned in End Run to have decoys, I could see some logic and sense to this theory.

-Concordia

Back