Fluid Space Attacks?

Lt.Overload

Rear Admiral
Just read S*S again, and I noticed they talked about Confed making attack runs on Nephilim space, and also losing a Midway-class in Nephilim space. Didn't a dude from Secret Ops mention putting mines and turrents around the Proxima wormhole? Why didn't they follow that idea? It could save them money (which they really need) and save alot of pilots. It's much cheaper than sending high price Megacarriers into enemy space. Also, since 3 more wormholes were opened in the time between SO and Arena, were they WCP-style wormholes or WCSO-style wormholes?

Simply mining doesn't guard against further incursions elsewhere. If you actually want to limit the enemy's ability to attack you need to strike at the heart.

well it's sort of silly question. You could as well ask "why did the British and Americans send expensive tanks and planes across the channel in 1944? they could have used cheap flak cannons and sea mines instead? this would save the lives of lots of pilots and tank rew members, not to mention lots of infantry soldiers

the answer is because this is the way you win the war. You go where your enemy is sitting and crush him there

To quote Maestro from Secret Ops, "if we can own the Confed side of the hole, we can mine it, or put turrets all over it, and keep the aliens from controlling both sides. Maybe we could lob a few nukes at them."

This is suggesting keeping the aliens from having a completely unresisted entrance into Confed space. If Confed can control their end of a wormhole, this allows them to push towards possibly controlling the alien end of the wormhole and eventually having a safe passage into and out of alien space. At the very least they can keep it at a stalemate which will dissuade alien forces from using that wormhole again in the future.

Maestro wasn't suggesting mining and turreting the wormhole as their only war tactic, but rather using the wormhole as a staging ground where they can finally start striking back at the aliens.

I agree with Nomad, I think what's pretty cool is that by reading of a few of the documents that have been posted on game design...They had contemplated having you be able to cross over to fluid space within the game, but obviously it never happened, would have been cool tho.....just have some type of crazy amount of spawning on the other side is the only way I can see it that you die inevitably

It's much cheaper than sending high price Megacarriers into enemy space. Also, since 3 more wormholes were opened in the time between SO and Arena, were they WCP-style wormholes or WCSO-style wormholes?

Over time, the megacarriers are probably the cheaper alternative, considering the sheer number of bugs they tend to lob through those holes. :p

Oh, and it's also the thing with winning the war and all, like the other said.

Back