Flight Sim Help

Primate

Spaceman
Hey all!
I'm looking for a good WWII flight sim to play and I was hoping you could give me some recomendations. My main focus is on realism, with good graphics a plus. Any theater will do.

Definitely Il-2. CFS doesn't even compare. You will want to pick up the 1946 edition, which contains all of the games and expansions since Forgotten Battles. It's essentially the entire series in one box, and it's a steal for $30.

Just to get a taste of what Il-2 is capable of, here's some screenshots of a dive bombing raid I took part in last night, complete with formation flying and a line astern roll-in and drop:
http://www.battle-fields.com/commscentre/showthread.php?t=13713

See here:
http://www.gogamer.com/IL-2-Sturmov...VVproductId7274576VVcatId444710VVviewprod.htm

Interestingly, you can get IL-2 and Pacific fighters in one box now for $20 and under.

it also comes with an A-10 warthog sim called lock-on

its available in the Ubisoft ultimate flight sim collection.

Can you command your squad intricately in It?
Because thats what I like in Jane's Attack Squadron
The command system is fairly detailed, and has various types of attack and formation commands, and you can talk to bases for vectors and clearances. In campaigns, the types of commands you can give depend on your rank too.

Interestingly, you can get IL-2 and Pacific fighters in one box now for $20 and under.

Don't get this. The Il-2 in that package is old and different from what is being played today, and doesn't merge with Pacific Fighters. The 1946 package is the one you want.

If you are interested in modern combat also, Lock-On is a good game You can fly more than just the A-10 too. Get it separately though.

Don't buy that, buy 1946. it's the latest, most complete and best version.

Regarding "intricate control of your squadron": Well, it has a very good mission planner, and lots of radio commands. But you can just fly with human players in a squadron. Nothing beats that.

And Lock-On is NOT an A-10 sim.

It's mainly a Su-3X sim, and it happens to include the A-10, the F-15, the MiG-29 and the Frogfoot as flyable planes too.

it's really good.

And those are just two screens I captured on a whim... They're nothing "special", no special effects or photoshopping.

Lock On wasn't a bad game either, tad disappointed though. And the community involvement was somewhat limited by the game itself (Not by their imaginations :p). Having said that, shooting down American jets in a Russian fighter was alot of fun, considering most games are done from the point of view of American personnel.

Just so you know, NinjaLA, the flyable planes included in Lock On: Modern Air Combat (LO:MAC for short) are the MiG-29A/S, Su-25, Su-27, Su-33, F-15C and the A-10. I don't think there is anything else, looking back I think Edfilho just about covered it. I mainly flew MiG-29s and Su-27s in the game anyway.

Don't buy that, buy 1946. it's the latest, most complete and best version.

Yeah, thats what I got for Christmas last year. You get all the other small packs like the Pe-2, Strumvoiks over Manchuria and 1946 itself. I'm loving the Tempest, I have to say.

Cheers,

Red Coat

Thanks for the recommendations. I read a review on IL-2 and they mentioned some AI problems such as beeing able to see through clouds or something. Any idea if those were fixed in the 1946 version?
And has anyone played European Air War? What did you think about it?

The AI in Il-2 does have some odd characteristics about maximizing the performance of their planes and spotting you, but you can get around it, especially if you mostly play online anyway. The problem is that you either get superhuman AI or dumb as rocks AI. Either one has its problems.

EAW is extremely outdated, and some people still play it, but really there's no reason to even consider it anymore if you have no experience with it.

Magnum hit it spot on for your question on AI. Mostly, its fine, I rarely have problems, but there are those dodgey, or very easy moments. (Lets fly in a straight line while I'm shooting at you...)

And has anyone played European Air War? What did you think about it?

Loved it. Always enjoyed playing the Battle of Britain as the Royal Air Force (RAF) against the German Luftwaffe. Its a great game, alot of customisable settings for realism and what-not, but dated, and unless you've played it before, you might not want to consider it. But none the less great.

Cheers,

Red Coat

I LOVE European Air War. One of my favorite games. (Unfortunately Vista won't let me play it. :( )

Lock On wasn't a bad game either, tad disappointed though. And the community involvement was somewhat limited by the game itself (Not by their imaginations :p). Having said that, shooting down American jets in a Russian fighter was alot of fun, considering most games are done from the point of view of American personnel.

Just so you know, NinjaLA, the flyable planes included in Lock On: Modern Air Combat (LO:MAC for short) are the MiG-29A/S, Su-25, Su-27, Su-33, F-15C and the A-10. I don't think there is anything else, looking back I think Edfilho just about covered it. I mainly flew MiG-29s and Su-27s in the game anyway.

Yeah, thats what I got for Christmas last year. You get all the other small packs like the Pe-2, Strumvoiks over Manchuria and 1946 itself. I'm loving the Tempest, I have to say.

Cheers,

Red Coat

And if you get Lock On Gold, which includes the original game and the Flaming Cliffs expansion, you will have new quick missions for each flyable plane and the incredible Su-29, with VERY advanced flight model, AG weaponry and avionics.

Lock On today is a much better game then when it was released. Patches and the addon improved it, and "normal" machines can run it fine.

Piloting the A-10 is really fun, for instance. I love to just do the quick mission, kill some tanks and land on any airfield I can spot, then park the plane and shut it down.

And if you get Lock On Gold, which includes the original game and the Flaming Cliffs expansion, you will have new quick missions for each flyable plane and the incredible Su-29, with VERY advanced flight model, AG weaponry and avionics.

Lock On today is a much better game then when it was released. Patches and the addon improved it, and "normal" machines can run it fine.

Piloting the A-10 is really fun, for instance. I love to just do the quick mission, kill some tanks and land on any airfield I can spot, then park the plane and shut it down.

I can't get Lock On Gold, I'm currently living in Australia after coming over from the UK (Father got a job that was better paying here, so we'll be here for a few years, or at least my parents will be. I'll be going back sooner) but the range of those more advanced flight simulators is somewhat limited.

But I agree, the A-10 quick mission is the best. I love it.

Cheers,

Red Coat

Well, I live in freaking brazil, where games are even more expensive than in Australia. I bought it online, CDUniverse, I think.

Back